Bolt
68%

Total votes: 173

Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 542

Greather Athlete: Phelps or Bolt 

Post#1 » by Gregoire » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:42 am

Who have more rare physical tools and athleticism? Who is more rare genetic freak in population?
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them from the league. That's gonna be the most enduring take from his career. :lol:
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan :lol:
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Re: Greather Athlete: Phelps or Bolt 

Post#2 » by Mr. E » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:22 am

I've thought about this and I've gone back and forth, but I'm going to have to go with Phelps.

This is not a slight to Bolt at all. He is unquestionably one of the most amazing physical specimens the human race has produced.

My reasoning for Phelps is as follows: The human body is designed as a bi-pedal organism which lives on land. Running is something that our bodies have specifically evolved to do well. Swimming - while a skill that goes back to primitive ages - is not as natural a movement for the human body. Humans are not designed to be in the water - webbed feet and hands would be biological advantages for a more aquatic-based human life form.

I'm going with Phelps because what he does is not something that comes naturally to humans in my point of view. And on top of that he just does it so much better than any other human out there!
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#3 » by B-Ball Freak » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:10 am

Bolt
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,135

Post#4 » by Edrees » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:23 am

Phelps. Half the human population can't even swim. it's an unreal talent to go that fast.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,236

Post#5 » by gavran » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:49 am

mathygreen
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by mathygreen » Wed Sep 9, 2020 8:02 pm

NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,192

Post#7 » by NyKnicks1714 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:59 pm

Mr. E wrote:I've thought about this and I've gone back and forth, but I'm going to have to go with Phelps.

This is not a slight to Bolt at all. He is unquestionably one of the most amazing physical specimens the human race has produced.

My reasoning for Phelps is as follows: The human body is designed as a bi-pedal organism which lives on land. Running is something that our bodies have specifically evolved to do well. Swimming - while a skill that goes back to primitive ages - is not as natural a movement for the human body. Humans are not designed to be in the water - webbed feet and hands would be biological advantages for a more aquatic-based human life form.

I'm going with Phelps because what he does is not something that comes naturally to humans in my point of view. And on top of that he just does it so much better than any other human out there!

This is weird reasoning though. Like yes, he's the GOAT swimmer, but it's not like he does it well relative to fish and marine mammals. He just did it better than all other humans, in the same way that Bolt ran faster than all other humans. Phelps may be the greater athlete, but it's not because we've evolved to move on land.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,376

Post#8 » by robbie84 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:00 am

Both legends. I'd pick Bolt because his competition pool is much larger than Phelps'. There's a level of privledge required to swim.

Of the billions of able-bodied humans on earth, I'd guess less than 50% have access to a pool- could be way less.
But almost every single one of them can run.

Nothing against Phelps, he's an absolute freak and one of the greatest athletes of all time. I just think what Bolt has done is a greater human accomplishment.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,782

Post#9 » by beeshma » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:03 am

I'll answer who is the better athlete, by answering whose accomplishments matter more to people?

Phelps is an American star, whereas Bolt is a global star. In other countries people may have heard Phelps' name or not. On the other hand, people feel active joy, optimism, and participation in Bolt's career and accomplishments.
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,155

Post#10 » by SHO'NUFF » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:07 am

Whoever would be better in soccer, basketball, football, etc...

That's your answer.
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
art_tatum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,091

Post#11 » by art_tatum » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:25 am

Theres also way more opportunities for phelps to win. 100,200,400 in all the strokes +mixed + the relays for free and mixed. Meanwhile bolt can only have 4 events max.
I feel like if youre at the top swimming youre elite in all strokes. Thats how phelps won so many golds. Additionally swimming is a rich sport.

However one can argue that bolt or someone who comes along can train and excel at the sprint as well as hurdles. And that the degree of difference through training is similar to the different strokes in swimming. Im not gonna make that argument but someone can.
ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,661

Post#12 » by ChuckChilly » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:02 am

Whoops read this wrong. Thought it meant it who was the better Olympian.
Maxthirty
Rookie
And1: 2,595

Post#13 » by Maxthirty » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:19 am

beeshma wrote:I'll answer who is the better athlete, by answering whose accomplishments matter more to people?

Phelps is an American star, whereas Bolt is a global star. In other countries people may have heard Phelps' name or not. On the other hand, people feel active joy, optimism, and participation in Bolt's career and accomplishments.

You’re talking about fame, not athletic talent. Those things are irrelevant when evaluating talent.

To answer the OP, I have no idea who’s greater. Not even sure how one would figure out the greatness of a swimmer compared to the greatness of a runner.

I know it’s crazy, but what if we just respected the immense talent of both athletes and just leave it at that. We don’t have to make it a competition.
Water makes you weak.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#14 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:57 am

Phelps > Bolt. Bolt is a genetic phenom so is Phelps.

Phelps mountain of work is far superior. The gas tank he has is arguably number one in the world.

They talked about it with Grant Hackett. Hackett whose the greatest long distance swimmer won gold with a busted Lung valve. But his lungs take in 90% more oxygen or something ridiculous. Think it’s 150% bigger then a regular man at his height.... he’s 6”6” lol
Imagine winning gold with a busted lung... that’s what he did.

Swimmers are freaks when it comes to sustained high level effort.

In horse racing it’s Phelps not close.

Man it was wild seeing a female and male swimmer in the ocean in a sportsmen vs comp to see who was the greatest athlete out of the chosen sports.

It was basically everyone lagging behind in a triathlon event with the actual triathlete in the middle and the two swimmer cutting through the ocean like an orca whale. Awe inspiring to watch. I know it’s their chosen discipline but still.

You see Ledecky cruise the 1500m Heat? Even that speed for anyone casual it’s box office to watch. Moving through the water like that takes A LONG ASS TIME, so much technique involved.

All I’m saying Phelps had to put in more and more work imo. No slight on Bolt but he gets an off-season. I don’t think the hours of world class training are close at all but that’s just me.

What I’m saying is Phelps has felt and gone through the gauntlet much more then Bolt will ever have to endure.

Water pound for pound in the pool is a ton of weight to go through. And they make it look effortless when it’s the furthest thing from it.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,228

Post#15 » by EArl » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:35 am

it has to be Phelps. Competing in several events and gold medaling in 7 in one olympics. Most people dream of one gold, but to get 7 is ridiculous. Bolt just did the 100, 200 and 4x100. Its not really a competition.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,228

Post#16 » by EArl » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:43 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
Mr. E wrote:I've thought about this and I've gone back and forth, but I'm going to have to go with Phelps.

This is weird reasoning though. Like yes, he's the GOAT swimmer, but it's not like he does it well relative to fish and marine mammals. He just did it better than all other humans, in the same way that Bolt ran faster than all other humans. Phelps may be the greater athlete, but it's not because we've evolved to move on land.

If were going by this argument, Bolt doesnt run faster relative to ,most land animals. Horses, average size dogs, bears, Giraffes and even a hippo is faster.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,192

Post#17 » by NyKnicks1714 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:48 am

EArl wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:

If were going by this argument, Bolt doesnt run faster relative to ,most land animals. Horses, average size dogs, bears, Giraffes and even a hippo is faster.

I'm not going by that logic, I'm saying that what matters is that they're better than other people. It doesn't matter if they're doing something we didn't evolve to do.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#18 » by Kilroy » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:08 am

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that swimming is one of the most all consuming athletic endeavors you can do... Not only that, but Phelps was way more successful...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#19 » by HeartBreakKid » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:24 am

robbie84 wrote:Both legends. I'd pick Bolt because his competition pool is much larger than Phelps'. There's a level of privledge required to swim.

Of the billions of able-bodied humans on earth, I'd guess less than 50% have access to a pool- could be way less.
But almost every single one of them can run.

Nothing against Phelps, he's an absolute freak and one of the greatest athletes of all time. I just think what Bolt has done is a greater human accomplishment.

I mean just because you can run doesn't mean that you participate in Track and Field. Also, you're oversimplifying "running" and "swimming" - Usain Bolt is a sprinter, that does not make him the best "runner".

By those standards, then WAY more people can swim than you are saying because many people do not need a swimming pool to learn how to swim. Many people learn how to swim in the beach and in lakes - in some ways, implying that you need a pool to learn how to swim is upper class thinking in itself.

It's important to separate the sport from a basic mode of motion. It's not like because you can literally run and swim you are competing against Usain Bolt and Michael Phelps.

Anyway, while it is true that T&F has a larger talent pool than swimming, swimming is certainly not tiny - and Phelps dominated his sport to a higher degree than Usain Bolt did so that should mitigate that.
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#20 » by Neutral 123 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:29 am

I'm going with Bolt. Something more primal and fundamental in running. Plus I think it's easier to have a greater appreciation for fast Bolt runs, then it is to appreciate swimming. Unless you are a high level swimmer, it's hard to appreciate how fast Phelps actually is.

Return to Olympics