Total votes: 173

DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Re: Greather Athlete: Phelps or Bolt 

Post#41 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:56 am

Shock Defeat wrote:
Lalouie wrote:
J___Av wrote:Bolt! The talent pool is so much deeper in his sport.

what is this supposed to mean.

does this make serena any lesser a tennis player because there was no consistant #2? no borg to her mcenroe. no frazier to her ali. no evert to her navratilova.

track and swimming are time-based sports. both bolt and phelps raced against time. doesn't matter if they raced against a loaded field or not

Except gold medals are what a lot of people point to with Phelps greatness, so his competition matters a ton.

As for time, Phelps only has one current world record not counting relays. Bolt still has 3. No one cares about swimming world records because they get broken all the time.

No one cares? The ignorance of this thread is astounding.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 3,947

Post#42 » by dygaction » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:06 am

Bolt. More than 80% of people in the world can run, and whoever can run at an elite level will have a chance to compete so basically no talent is wasted; I don't know the exact number, but i would imagine less than 1/50 of swimming talents can be discovered before it is too late.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#43 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:09 am

Lol once again there’s really only five people in the world that can hang with either Phelps/Bolt. That’s it that’s the list.

80%? yeah no.

Not a competition or talent it really is against a clock.... it’s time based in the end.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#44 » by KqWIN » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:11 am

It’s Bolt for me. Swimming is a privilege and niche sport. This doesn’t diminish what Phelps did, but sprinting being the most accessible sport in the world makes Bolt more impressive to me.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#45 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:17 am

Swimming is not a niche sport. I think some people need to research things better lol.

Once again comp gets thrown out of the window with both. Comp for the clock? 100%.

You find me a top five sprinter or swimmer in the world that isn’t yet... congrats you won the lotto. They don’t just rock up. Privilege, talent pool, comp or otherwise. These are all baseless and not well thought out statements to me.

Here’s the distinction. Posters have talked about running.

In what world is that close to sprinting? And in what world is that close to high end athletes cruise speed that would destroy 9/10 of every male off rip.

80% my arse lol.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#46 » by dygaction » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:22 am

DCasey91 wrote:Lol once again there’s really only five people in the world that can hang with either Phelps/Bolt. That’s it that’s the list.

80%? yeah no.

Not a competition or talent it really is against a clock.... it’s time based in the end.

I mean the competition base. Swimming is like golf, >80% of the population never had a chance to try it before it is too late.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 25,828

Post#47 » by azcatz11 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:22 am

I'm ignorant to both sports. Bolt seemed like he wasn't even trying when he was breaking world records and destroying people.
Schiltzenberger
Junior
And1: 394

Post#48 » by Schiltzenberger » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:22 am

The fastest and best swimmers concentrate on the freestyle events, I'm not sure if Phelps has ever won an individual gold in a freestyle race. All his golds come in the Mickey Mouse events like butterfly, breaststroke and backstroke... plus the medleys and relays.

It'd be like Bolt getting golds in the egg and spoon race, the sack race or a cartwheel race..... whoop de doo!
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#49 » by dygaction » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:25 am

DCasey91 wrote:Swimming is not a niche sport. I think some people need to research things better lol.

Once again comp gets thrown out of the window with both. Comp for the clock? 100%.

You find me a top five sprinter or swimmer in the world that isn’t yet... congrats you won the lotto. They don’t just rock up. Privilege, talent pool, comp or otherwise. These are all baseless and not well thought out statements to me.

As far as I know, less than 10% of population have regular access to swimming pool before college in China and India. It is a luxury. Running you need shoes.
picko
Starter
And1: 3,380

Post#50 » by picko » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:25 am

Phelps had the more accomplished career and was certainly more versatile. That said, I bet that Phelps name is removed from the individual world record list a long time before Bolt's is. We might find that Phelps has a lot more peers historically than Bolt does.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#51 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:26 am

dygaction wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:Lol once again there’s really only five people in the world that can hang with either Phelps/Bolt. That’s it that’s the list.

80%? yeah no.

I mean the competition base. Swimming is like golf, >80% of the population never had a chance to try it before it is too late.

I’ll say it again for the last time. Both are racing against the clock. Only five males give or take can hang with either that’s as rare as you’re going to get that’s in the world world. 80%? No my man

Five of the highest world class tier give or take athletes that’s it that’s the list.

Swimming is not like golf that’s an absurd and downright disrespectful statement to make.

I’ll say it to everyone jump in the pool. See if it is like Golf then. Wake up at 5 a.m on Saturday and Sundays.

My female mate whose a state swimmer would slap you right in the face right there and then lol.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#52 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:27 am

dygaction wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:Swimming is not a niche sport. I think some people need to research things better lol.

As far as I know, less than 10% of population have regular access to swimming pool before college in China and India. It is a luxury. Running you need shoes.

:banghead: Yes running is close to sprinting sure it is.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#53 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:28 am

A lot of people don’t know their shoelaces from their shoes is what I gathered from this.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#54 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:30 am

Schiltzenberger wrote:The fastest and best swimmers concentrate on the freestyle events, I'm not sure if Phelps has ever won an individual gold in a freestyle race. All his golds come in the Mickey Mouse events like butterfly, breaststroke and backstroke... plus the medleys and relays.

It'd be like Bolt getting golds in the egg and spoon race, the sack race or a cartwheel race..... whoop de doo!

All those strokes are harder then freestyle. You don’t see a 800m breaststroke olympic event do you?

Bolt did the egg and spoon race if you want the real comparison.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#55 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:34 am

picko wrote:Phelps had the more accomplished career and was certainly more versatile. That said, I bet that Phelps name is removed from the individual world record list a long time before Bolt's is. We might find that Phelps has a lot more peers historically than Bolt does.

Phelps has 23 gold medals, next best is nine.
There’s no peer close to his variety of events. What he did > than Bolt did. Peers yes ... on one stroke not all of them.

It’s hard and rare enough being work class in one stroke. All of them together? Haha no.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#56 » by dygaction » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:48 am

DCasey91 wrote:
dygaction wrote:

80%? yeah no.

I’ll say it again for the last time. Both are racing against the clock. Only five males give or take can hang with either that’s as rare as you’re going to get that’s in the world world. 80%? No my man

Five of the highest world class tier give or take athletes that’s it that’s the list.

Swimming is not like golf that’s an absurd and downright disrespectful statement to make.

I’ll say it to everyone jump in the pool. See if it is like Golf then. Wake up at 5 a.m on Saturday and Sundays.

My female mate whose a state swimmer would slap you right in the face right there and then lol.

I don't even know swimming to golf which one you think got disrespected.

How many American parents would think their kids could be Phelps or Woods given the money support? Many.
How many would think their kids could be the next Bolt? 1/10 of the many would be too many.

DCasey91
General Manager

Post#57 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:49 am

99% out of 100% of males will never get to base elite world class athletic thresholds to cover no matter how much fairy sprinkle dust, how much they try or how hard they try and media stuff that gets driven.

That’s for both sprinting and swimming.

Then the % gets smaller and smaller the further you go along the food chain.

As white Mamba said I’m closer to MJ then you are to me. He’s correct.

That’s reality crashing head on to fantasy stuff.

Once again search the world for a top five sprinter or swimmer in the world that isn’t and is not on the academies/elite class programs radar.

Your better off winning the lotto, less time and less research lol

Comp pffft more like vsing the clock.

Posters talk about Privilege, more people can run, competition, niche etc etc.

No. Your are talking about two outlier freaks in the land of freaks which high class athletes will and always forever will be. Simple

Running is not sprinting dingbats.
picko
Starter
And1: 3,380

Post#58 » by picko » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:55 am

DCasey91 wrote:99% out of 100% of males will never get to base elite athletic thresholds to cover no matter how much fairy, how much they try or media stuff that gets driven. That’s for both sprinting and swimming

Then the % gets smaller and smaller the further you go along the food chain.

As white Mamba said I’m closer to MJ then you are to me. He’s correct.

That’s reality crashing head on to fantasy stuff.

Once again search the world for a top five sprinter or swimmer in the world that isn’t and is not on academia/programs radar.

Your better off winning the lotto, less time and less research lol

Comp pffft more like vsing the clock.

Are you having a stroke? Half this thread is just you ranting like a loon.

Go for a walk or take a bath or read a book. It'll do you the world of good.
BoatsNZones
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,291

Post#59 » by BoatsNZones » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:55 am

Here’s the distinction. Posters have talked about running.

In what world is that close to sprinting? And in what world is that close to high end athletes cruise speed that would destroy 9/10 of every male off rip.

80% my arse lol.

I think you're missing the point some are making. It is entirely possible that the would-be greatest swimmers in history just never had the opportunity to explore that as a possibility. Hell, it's entirely possible the would-be greatest swimmer in history never learned to swim. Where as EVERY young boy is always racing his friends and will find out where he stacks up at a very young age, and that path will be carved out from there accordingly (regardless of what country you live in).

I don't have a side in this debate off the top of my head, but what's not a debate is the size of the talent pool to reach #1.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#60 » by DCasey91 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:57 am

dygaction wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:
dygaction wrote:

I don't even know swimming to golf which one you think got disrespected.

How many American parents would think their kids could be Phelps or Woods given the money support? Many.
How many would think their kids could be the next Bolt? 1/10 of the many would be too many.

Golfers I suspect never felt like dying during their events. For swimming that’s kind of the norm to casual or ignorant people. They just get used to it over time.

John Daly anyone? I rest my case there and then no if’s and buts about it.

Return to Olympics