Track and Field - Interactive Bolt/Gatlin race, Allyson Felix loses to dive

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Track and Field - Interactive Bolt/Gatlin race, Allyson Felix loses to dive 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:31 pm

Click on the NY Times link and you can scroll through the race. Pretty cool..

Read on Twitter
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Track and Field - Interactive Bolt/Gatlin race, Allyson Felix loses to dive 

Post#2 » by bwgood77 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:02 pm

That sucked to see Felix lose that race by a hair on that dive last night. I was just reading this...brutal that she lost this way AGAIN after missing a chance to run in the 200 ALSO because of a dive.

The defeat was bitter for Felix on multiple levels. She had started this season hoping to win both the 200 meters and 400 meters in Rio, but a spring ankle injury stunted her training. She made the Olympic team in the 400 meters, but not in the 200. In that 200-meter race, she was beaten out for third place by Jenna Prandini, who took the spot by diving, or falling, across the line.

http://www.si.com/olympics/2016/08/16/rio-olympics-400-meters-shaunae-miller-dive-allyson-felix?xid=si_social
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#3 » by Mr. E » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:00 am

OK, yeah, that was really cool!

But I guess that I am now half-way through my free NYT articles for the month. :lol:
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#4 » by Mr. E » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:24 am

bwgood77 wrote:That sucked to see Felix lose that race by a hair on that dive last night. I was just reading this...brutal that she lost this way AGAIN after missing a chance to run in the 200 ALSO because of a dive.

The defeat was bitter for Felix on multiple levels. She had started this season hoping to win both the 200 meters and 400 meters in Rio, but a spring ankle injury stunted her training. She made the Olympic team in the 400 meters, but not in the 200. In that 200-meter race, she was beaten out for third place by Jenna Prandini, who took the spot by diving, or falling, across the line.

http://www.si.com/olympics/2016/08/16/rio-olympics-400-meters-shaunae-miller-dive-allyson-felix?xid=si_social

So diving - while legal - is something that is frowned upon by most in the sport?
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#5 » by bwgood77 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:58 am

Mr. E wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:That sucked to see Felix lose that race by a hair on that dive last night. I was just reading this...brutal that she lost this way AGAIN after missing a chance to run in the 200 ALSO because of a dive.

So diving - while legal - is something that is frowned upon by most in the sport?

Sounds like maybe a little bit. Usually it seems like it is just discouraged because it usually doesn't help.

Wow, all three medal winners in the women's 1500 would have gotten the olympic record. The winner crushed it.

Awesome win by the U.S. women in the 4x100 too. Second fastest time ever. 5th gold medal for Allyson Felix...most ever by a woman. Too bad she couldn't have six with that 400 meter race she barely got beat out.

Return to Olympics