Olympics Forum

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Olympics Forum 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:16 pm

I wasn't sure if people knew about this forum to discuss olympics. It's fine to discuss the basketball on the GB but other events can be discussed in this forum. viewforum.php?f=335
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Re: Olympics Forum 

Post#2 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:41 pm

When you scroll over Other Sports it doesn't show up, which could explain the lack of activity
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#3 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:45 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:When you scroll over Other Sports it doesn't show up, which could explain the lack of activity

I know. I couldn't find it when I just started looking. I had to go to the board index and then scroll down and click on "Other Sports" to find it.
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#4 » by euphorbus » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:53 pm

I do not know what to make of Simone Biles just pulling out in the middle of team competition. I can understand pulling out before or after, but not during.
othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 757

Post#5 » by othawhitemeat » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:27 am

euphorbus wrote:I do not know what to make of Simone Biles just pulling out in the middle of team competition. I can understand pulling out before or after, but not during.

Hear you but maybe she tried and realized she was going to hurt team - thinking she is that good and tried to push through. Most of Simone's career has been role modelish. Mental Health is legit so hopefully some good will come from Simeone showing others how bad it can be - not saying Simone missing team event or her mental health but maybe she can be a pioneer for change in mental health.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#6 » by Lalouie » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:46 am

i think the commercials have been great. especially like the one withe the paraplegic swimmer adopted by an american family
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#7 » by Lalouie » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:51 am

euphorbus wrote:I do not know what to make of Simone Biles just pulling out in the middle of team competition. I can understand pulling out before or after, but not during.

i have to give her a break
she's the face of gymnastics

pulling out during is so unusual it had to be something extraordinary. i think i read where she said she felt something hse had never felt before. that can be SCARY. i know for myself i checked into emergency twice with episodes that i never felt before and i thought i was dying. test came up with nothing, so with no explanation i assumed it was some kind of anxiety or panic attack.......AND REAL AS HELL
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#8 » by Lalouie » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:57 am

bwgood77 wrote:I wasn't sure if people knew about this forum to discuss olympics. It's fine to discuss the basketball on the GB but other events can be discussed in this forum. viewforum.php?f=335

too bad no one seems to care. the olympics is a great time to see other sports that athletes put years into with no financial reward. me personally i'm not watching basketball or tennis or frankly any "big money" sport. i only wish nbc was carrying 100% of everything instead of selected hilites for the usa audience.

this forum is much appreciated by me......THX

what i love so far

saber
judo
table tennis
softball(always loved softball)
all the races
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#9 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:59 am

othawhitemeat wrote:

Hear you but maybe she tried and realized she was going to hurt team - thinking she is that good and tried to push through. Most of Simone's career has been role modelish. Mental Health is legit so hopefully some good will come from Simeone showing others how bad it can be - not saying Simone missing team event or her mental health but maybe she can be a pioneer for change in mental health.

At the level of difficulty she is competing at, and the vault flips she was attempting and some of those amazing floor routine jumps, if you are not there 100% mentally, it can be very dangerous. The gymast expert said you could tell on her latest vault jump that she lost herself in the air and when that happens it can be very scary.

And if she is already dealing with anxiety, which can in and of itself be debilitating, that just has to exacerbate it. She was right to step out and focus on herself. She also felt she was hurting the team so it was an unselfish great move for the team as well.
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#10 » by Lalouie » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:00 am

bwgood77 wrote:
othawhitemeat wrote:

At the level of difficulty she is competing at, and the vault flips she was attempting and some of those amazing floor routine jumps, if you are not there 100% mentally, it can be very dangerous. The gymast expert said you could tell on her latest vault jump that she lost herself in the air and when that happens it can be very scary.

And if she is already dealing with anxiety, which can in and of itself be debilitating, that just has to exacerbate it. She was right to step out and focus on herself. She also felt she was hurting the team so it was an unselfish great move for the team as well.

crippling kind of scary, bro
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,639

Post#11 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:04 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Free Palestine
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,310

Post#12 » by gavran » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:49 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Image

Read on Twitter
?s=20

She lost too.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,639

Post#13 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:00 am

gavran wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

She lost too.

Then I'd hate to see what happened to her after that.
Free Palestine
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,310

Post#14 » by gavran » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:06 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
gavran wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

She lost too.

Then I'd hate to see what happened to her after that.

She probably had sex with the water polo team. You'd hate to see THAT?
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#15 » by euphorbus » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:31 pm

The "Twisties":

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2021/07/28/twisties-gymnastics-simone-biles-tokyo-olympics/

In another sport, I rather expect the USWNT to lose to the Netherlands on Friday in soccer. They just do not have it this year, it seems, unless Carli Lloyd or a less-heralded teammate finds another gear.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#16 » by Ruzious » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:57 pm

othawhitemeat wrote:

Right - making a positive out of a negative. I support her for all the hard work she's put in and the great successes she's had for both the US and for herself - and wish her nothing but the best. I think it's sad some people are using this as an opportunity to viciously attack her on Twitter.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Post#17 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:40 pm

I like watching this stuff. Like I wouldn't be watching archery, canoeing, sculls or diving if not for the olympics. Cool to see stuff don't normally watch
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#18 » by Lalouie » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:53 am

WOW...WHAT A GREAT 4X100 RELAY IN WOMENS FREESTYLE!!!!!!1
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#19 » by Lalouie » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:56 am

LAKESHOW wrote:I like watching this stuff. Like I wouldn't be watching archery, canoeing, sculls or diving if not for the olympics. Cool to see stuff don't normally watch

the olympics is the ONLY chance we get to watch these smaller sports. i think it's GREAT. the amount of time and effort. for many athletes they do it for their country and personal goals.

it is beyond admirable if you ask me. FOUR YEARS of training for one day

smh
McBubbles
Rookie
And1: 1,248

Post#20 » by McBubbles » Mon Aug 2, 2021 6:55 am

An Italian won the Men's 100m :0 absolutely wild, Lamont Jacobs with his dark horse victory.

Must be the first time someone of European descent has won the 100m in like 40 years or something.
You said to me “I will give you scissor seven fine quality animation".

You left then but you put flat mediums which were not good before my scissor seven".

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt?

Return to Olympics