Olympic event discussion (non basketball)

Perseus1966
Veteran
And1: 1,159

Re: Olympic current event discussion and discussion of events you enjoy watching 

Post#81 » by Perseus1966 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:43 am

Water Polo
Gold for Serbia
Silver for Greece not bad at all!
I want RoLo to be my son in law!
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,318

Re: Olympic current event discussion and discussion of events you enjoy watching 

Post#82 » by Heat3 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 12:56 pm

I hope they give Tokyo another games soon. So unfair to spend all that money to setup for the games then have the pandemic screw it up and prevent people from attending.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,915

Post#83 » by bisme37 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 4:28 pm

USA women's volleyball wins their first ever gold medal! So proud of them.

And USA women's basketball wins yet another gold.

After these two games USA took over the lead in gold medals from China. USA men had their ups and downs this Olympics but the women absolutely got it done. If you take away all the medals won by US men, the US women would be third in the medal count by themselves. Good job ladies and thanks.
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#84 » by Joshyjess » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:50 pm

Closing Ceremony:
First of all, that was probably one of the most random things I've ever seen. They were literally all over the board with the things they were doing. Some things were pretty cool, other things were extremely boring, some things were very creepy, and other things were so weird, I'm not really sure what I saw!
I feel like they missed out on a chance to showcase some amazing technology. They had some good tech ideas going on, but I thought they could have done so much more. When I think of Japan I don't think of 50's style be-bopping music, I think of amazing tech. I wish they had done more with it.
question - did China leave the games early? I don't think I saw a single chinese athlete in the closing ceremony. They had one of the largest delegations at the Olympics, and yet I didn't see a single one at the closing. Did they get mad that the US out-medaled them (in all categories).
I really liked when the showed France, and had that Jet fly-over with the different colors that made up the flag - so cool!!! I am looking forward to see what Paris will do in a few years.
All-in-all I think Tokoyo did a commendable job with the Olympics this year (especially in light of the problems involved with Covid). I feel sorry for them that so much was affected by the virus, but they soldiered on, and put on a really good show.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,531

Post#85 » by bwgood77 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:48 pm

Joshyjess wrote:Closing Ceremony:
First of all, that was probably one of the most random things I've ever seen. They were literally all over the board with the things they were doing. Some things were pretty cool, other things were extremely boring, some things were very creepy, and other things were so weird, I'm not really sure what I saw!
I feel like they missed out on a chance to showcase some amazing technology. They had some good tech ideas going on, but I thought they could have done so much more. When I think of Japan I don't think of 50's style be-bopping music, I think of amazing tech. I wish they had done more with it.
question - did China leave the games early? I don't think I saw a single chinese athlete in the closing ceremony. They had one of the largest delegations at the Olympics, and yet I didn't see a single one at the closing. Did they get mad that the US out-medaled them (in all categories).
I really liked when the showed France, and had that Jet fly-over with the different colors that made up the flag - so cool!!! I am looking forward to see what Paris will do in a few years.
All-in-all I think Tokoyo did a commendable job with the Olympics this year (especially in light of the problems involved with Covid). I feel sorry for them that so much was affected by the virus, but they soldiered on, and put on a really good show.

So you enjoyed watching them as a whole?
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,915

Post#86 » by bisme37 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 8:54 pm

I miss the Olympics already lol. I guess ratings were down but for some reason I was cracked out on it more than ever. Wanted to watch everything even if I didn't even really care about the sport. Had to see who won! Really cool that we only have a 3 year wait until next time.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,102

Post#87 » by Lalouie » Sun Aug 8, 2021 9:36 pm

anybody watching sprint cycling,,,the womens omnium

omg! crashes waiting to happen
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#88 » by Joshyjess » Sun Aug 8, 2021 10:52 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Joshyjess wrote:Closing Ceremony:

So you enjoyed watching them as a whole?

I definitely enjoyed watching the Olympics! Sometimes it feels kind of like watching a 5-ring circus with so many things happening at once, but it is always great fun seeing atheletes from all over the wolrd giving it their all. There were some really fun events as well (like the high-jump competition - some great competitors who were a blast to watch) that always make the experience even better. I metioned to my wife just how incredible it was to see so many countries competing together side-by-side. In a world where so many lines and boundaries exist, having an event that gets them all together really is remarkable.
I wasn't a huge fan of the closing ceremony (like I said really kind of weird), but it was fun watching the athletes having such a fun time now that the pressure of competing was over.
The time difference definitely made it a lot harder to enjoy some of the events (on more than one occassion I was up till almost three in the morning watching some games), but not much you can do about that. Covid was also a huge bummer, but they did a good job of making things as normal as possible.

Return to Olympics