Olympic event discussion (non basketball)

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,382

Re: Olympic current even discussion and events you enjoy watching? 

Post#21 » by bwgood77 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 3:17 am

13th Man wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
13th Man wrote:
McLaughlin is going to run away with it perhaps breaking her own WR. Muhammad is good too but Sydney is too fast.

I think the men's 400m hurdles is going to be very close between Warholm and Benjamin, Rai has the potential to beat him if he can get off to faster start than usual.

Did they get to the finals in these events yet?

Nope, not yet. Here's the schedule for track: https://en.as.com/en/2021/07/30/olympic_games/1627672495_175701.html

400m hurdles finals is Aug.3 for men and Aug.4 for women.

The women's 100m finals took place though yesterday (Japan's yesterday). Maybe today?

Mens 100m heats occurred to qualify for the semis. Surprise was Bromell coming in 4th in his heat and making it through with the best time of the non-top 3 placements. Bromell had looked invincible up to this point.

Andre Degrasse looked really good though with a 9.90 quarter-final race, lets go Andre!

Nice olympic record in the 100M for Thompson-Herah.
GM Wotsup
Junior
And1: 272

Re: Olympic current even discussion and discussion of events you enjoy watching 

Post#22 » by GM Wotsup » Sun Aug 1, 2021 4:14 am

History made today by Aussie swimmer Emma McKeon. Her gold rush continued. Becomes the 1st female swimmer ever to win 7 Olympic medals @ a single Olympics.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,049

Post#23 » by Lalouie » Sun Aug 1, 2021 9:22 am

carmelita jeter has become the most imitated athlete in t&f history!!!!

everyone is doing this.

Lalouie
RealGM

Post#24 » by Lalouie » Sun Aug 1, 2021 9:49 am

i have intermittently dropped into espn, you know like always - several times a day, and i have not caught one olympics news....NOT ONE!
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#25 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Aug 1, 2021 10:15 am

6-player volleyball is pretty great. It's fast enough that the best stuff is best seen on replays, but it's much much much better than the dunking part of basketball.

It's pretty basic otherwise, so it gets repetitive after a while. But if you have access to the live streams, it's well worth dipping into.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#26 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Aug 1, 2021 10:18 am

I can't care about gymnastics this year. The abuse horrors haven't wholly been worked through yet (hence Simone Biles' meltdown).
ACMFFL
Senior
And1: 567

Post#27 » by ACMFFL » Sun Aug 1, 2021 12:59 pm

Mamma mia Marcell Jacobs!!!
"All dreams are crazy until they come true."
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,706

Post#28 » by Sactowndog » Sun Aug 1, 2021 2:45 pm

Water Polo for me but I’m biased as my son is playing in it.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,751

Post#29 » by ROballer » Sun Aug 1, 2021 3:39 pm

Tf is wrong with the US athletes?

They are choking everything up.

Swimming:

Ledecky not her usual self, lost two gold medals. Dressel was carrying everything on his back, aside from Finke the US team underhwhelming in medals, they couldn't even win the relays in which they always dominated(won 2/7 I think).

Gymnastics:

Don't get me started on the Biles debacle. It seems it's rubbing off on the other athletes as well, Jade Carey was the favorite to win the vault today and completely missed her first vault, in an amateurish way almost.

Track and Field:

Number one favorite Trayvon Bromell barely qualified for semi finals in the 100 m race, then missed the Finals.
Randolph Ross, who had the no.1 time in the 400 m didn't even make it out of the heats.
There was only one US girl in the women's 100 m finals and she was so far away from everybody else.
They went cocky with the mixed relay team(were disqualified at first, then reinstated), literally selecting the C squad thinking they could win even with those athletes. Easy gold turned into bronze.

At this point they're gonna lose the medal race to China.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#30 » by 13th Man » Sun Aug 1, 2021 5:49 pm

ACMFFL wrote:Mamma mia Marcell Jacobs!!!

Who the heck is this guy he comes out of nowhere. His Italian compatriot wins the high jump gold 15 minutes earlier than this dude goes out to shock everybody winning the 100m. The Italians must be ecstatic with these surprising gold medals but this is what the Olympics is about.

I wonder what happened to Trayvon Bromell, a little bit disappointed there. Impressed with Fred Kerley though, this guy was a 400m runner who decides to compete in the 100m instead and claims a silver. My man Andre Degrasse comes through with the bronze.

I do think that Rai Benjamin is going to beat Karsten Warholm though in the hurdles for a new WR.

I'm really looking forward to the men's 1500m as well.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,751

Post#31 » by ROballer » Sun Aug 1, 2021 6:02 pm

13th Man wrote:
ACMFFL wrote:Mamma mia Marcell Jacobs!!!

Who the heck is this guy he comes out of nowhere. His Italian compatriot wins the high jump gold 15 minutes earlier than this dude goes out to shock everybody winning the 100m. The Italians must be ecstatic with these surprising gold medals but this is what the Olympics is about.

I wonder what happened to Trayvon Bromell, a little bit disappointed there. Impressed with Fred Kerley though, this guy was a 400m runner who decides to compete in the 100m instead and claims a silver. My man Andre Degrasse comes through with the bronze.

I do think that Rai Benjamin is going to beat Karsten Warholm though in the hurdles for a new WR.

I'm really looking forward to the men's 1500m as well.

Yeah, Rai has this. One of the few US athletes who look on par with the expectations.
His pal Michael Norman looks totally beatable in the 400 m. Miles behind of the 2019 form. Him and Lyles too.

Looking to see how Gabby Thomas looks in the 200 m, only chance for a US woman to win a gold in the sprints.
Nobody there to win it in the 400 m and Keni Harrison is waay behind Jasmine Camacho-Quinn in the 100 m hurdles.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,382

Post#32 » by bwgood77 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 11:28 pm

Damn was that 100M semifinal close.
vi3t
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#33 » by vi3t » Mon Aug 2, 2021 1:10 am

now that the men's 100m is over, looking forward to see De Grasse, Lyles, and the teenage phenom Knighton in the 200m, also excited to see what Sydney Mclaughlin does in the women's 400m hurdles after her record breaking performance at the US olympic trials
herbiehancock00
Junior
And1: 110

Post#34 » by herbiehancock00 » Mon Aug 2, 2021 2:01 am

I started to follow Badminton randomly for the first time this Olympics and holy **** it's such a fast paced and entertaining sport to watch. It's amazing watching it happen on a professional level.
Perseus1966
Veteran
And1: 1,159

Post#35 » by Perseus1966 » Mon Aug 2, 2021 6:15 am

Sactowndog wrote:Water Polo for me but I’m biased as my son is playing in it.

Usa team?
I want RoLo to be my son in law!
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#36 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Aug 2, 2021 10:20 am

This was amazing. Sifan Hassan, who I'd never previously heard of, is trying to win three different women's track races. So she was conserving energy at the back of the pack in her 1500 meter semifinal heat. Early in the bell lap, she fell, then got up and sprinted to enter a pack of 6 who would go on to the finals -- and then, perhaps just for the hell of it or for a better lane, kept charging and actually won her heat.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#37 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Aug 2, 2021 10:22 am

Perseus1966 wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:Water Polo for me but I’m biased as my son is playing in it.

Usa team?

I've played a little water polo, but find it hard to watch. One can't see what's going on underwater, and the whole thing is basically pretty slow compared to similar sports that are played on surfaces such as grass or ice.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#38 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Aug 2, 2021 10:26 am

And the men's high jump is a cool story. It ended in a tie, between two guys who are great friends with each other. Officials suggested a jump-off to determine the winner. They said "Screw that", so that they could each have golds. It's being celebrated as great sportsmanship. It can also be interpreted as "why risk losing?", but apparently the whole thing was done with massive amounts of warmth and charisma. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/02/tamberi-barshim-share-olympic-gold-mens-high-jump-reaction
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#39 » by Lalouie » Mon Aug 2, 2021 2:32 pm

watching mens and womens team handball.

BRUTAL. bodies strewn all over the court....LOL.

nbc sports app
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#40 » by Lalouie » Mon Aug 2, 2021 2:33 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:And the men's high jump is a cool story. It ended in a tie, between two guys who are great friends with each other. Officials suggested a jump-off to determine the winner. They said "Screw that", so that they could each have golds. It's being celebrated as great sportsmanship. It can also be interpreted as "why risk losing?", but apparently the whole thing was done with massive amounts of warmth and charisma. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/02/tamberi-barshim-share-olympic-gold-mens-high-jump-reaction

great story

Return to Olympics