Simone Biles

DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Re: Simone Biles 

Post#21 » by DroseReturnChi » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:15 pm

the question is why did she quit midway and waste roster spot? nobody forced to do it.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,307

Post#22 » by Parataxis » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:16 pm

Injuries are injuries. Mental health is health.

Nobody would be questioning her decision if she had a broken ankle. We owe her the same respect for stepping away because it was her brain that was hurting.
gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Post#23 » by gorz » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:16 pm

ABucksFan wrote:Curious, what's the reaction if Lebron decided not to play in a Game 7 of the NBA finals, citing mental health issues?

I understand that context matters and it's not fair to compare. I'm just genuinely curious what people's thoughts are.

He would get bashed mercilessly by media and many here on this board. Double standards.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,694

Post#24 » by WarriorGM » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:17 pm

gorz wrote:
ABucksFan wrote:Curious, what's the reaction if Lebron decided not to play in a Game 7 of the NBA finals, citing mental health issues?

I understand that context matters and it's not fair to compare. I'm just genuinely curious what people's thoughts are.

He would get bashed mercilessly by media and many here on this board. Double standards.

A basketball player makes much more money and has many more opportunities to recover. There's always next year for the basketball player. It is a much more severe case career-wise for a gymnast to miss the Olympics.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,123

Post#25 » by Woodsanity » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:18 pm

There aren't any mixed feelings on my end. Obviously she was dealing with some serious issues. Do you people really believe that an olympian would put in four grueling years of effort to just quit if they weren't dealing with a serious issue?

It is not easy to perform at the top level on a global stage. The only people who have any right to be even a little angry are her fellow teammates but even they were supportive. What right do some people who are watching while sitting on the coach have to complain?

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,852

Post#26 » by jc23 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:18 pm

you cant go you cant go, no need to condemn or celebrate the decision.
Be curious, Not judgmental
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,902

Post#27 » by theforumblue » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:20 pm

this is one of those things that i won't be able to understand 100% because i haven't had the type of mental health issues that these top athletes are experiencing, and certainly didn't face the types of pressures they face. but for some sports it's definitely not ok if you feel that it's affecting ability to just "forget" and go. entirely possible you could not walk straight again.

how it'll be received by some or maybe even majority of the couch potato critics is obvious. they don't matter though. not their body on the line.

which is entirely different level than something like basketball. you're probably not gonna mangle your body if you can't play at your max and mess up.
screw these absolute garbage refs
Currygoat
Senior
And1: 821

Post#28 » by Currygoat » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:20 pm

Imagine if Lebron decide to quit in the nba finals due to mental health. Dude would be blasted not called a hero. Mental health is only taking serious when it's females but when its a man everyone laughs
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,092

Post#29 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:25 pm

Parataxis wrote:Injuries are injuries. Mental health is health.

Nobody would be questioning her decision if she had a broken ankle. We owe her the same respect for stepping away because it was her brain that was hurting.

Even more honestly.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
ocelot17
Starter
And1: 3,831

Post#30 » by ocelot17 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:25 pm

There’s a double standard. The media would be killing LeBron if he quit in the middle of the finals.

But for season reason, people tend to coddle woman in similar situation.
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,316

Post#31 » by CS707 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:27 pm

Whatever she's dealing with, it was enough to make her drop out. It's not for me to judge at what point it becomes too much for someone else. I can't lie though... I'd be pretty salty if I was a teammate watching her hang around and congratulate the team that likely won because of her decision. Kinda seems like a "me" moment there.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,735

Post#32 » by homecourtloss » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:27 pm

ocelot17 wrote:There’s a double standard. The media would be killing LeBron if he quit in the middle of the finals.

But for season reason, people tend to coddle woman in similar situation.

Would be much, much different than what this thread is right now. James has been playing legacy games for a decade now.

Biles can do whatever she wants, but this conversation would look a lot different if this were James or even any other male. Men are held to different standards than women but at the same time, people want to cry about “equality.”
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,307

Post#33 » by Parataxis » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:28 pm

Currygoat wrote:Imagine if Lebron decide to quit in the nba finals due to mental health. Dude would be blasted not called a hero. Mental health is only taking serious when it's females but when its a man everyone laughs

I mean, she is getting blasted by some people, is the point.
BoatsNZones
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,291

Post#34 » by BoatsNZones » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:29 pm

The reason why I am fine with her bowing out (as if our opinions on this matters anyway) is because we are talking about an extremely technical and dangerous sport. This isn't hoops, if you are having mental issues (that are manifesting themselves as physical compromises), you should not be flipping sideways and upside down 20 feet above the ground. The slightest bit off and you are in a world of trouble. In basketball, maybe your shot is off. Woop-dee-doo.

It sucks that this only came to a breaking point when it did, but I am in no position to blame this girl for relying on her teammates to finish out the event.
gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Post#35 » by gorz » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:29 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
gorz wrote:

A basketball player makes much more money and has many more opportunities to recover. There's always next year for the basketball player. It is a much more severe case career-wise for a gymnast to miss the Olympics.

Those are valid points. Theres also societies inclined greater sympathy towards women over men. Men are by and large kind of pushed to the wayside in regards to mental health bc they are held to a higher standard than women in terms of having mental and emotional toughness/fortitude. But I'd also argue there's alot of bias/hate against lebron bc of his perceived egotistic persona and previous antics.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,637

Post#36 » by LikeABosh » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:30 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
gorz wrote:

"Mental health isn't as important to people who have money"
LouisLitt
Sixth Man
And1: 3,120

Post#37 » by LouisLitt » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:30 pm

I'm also very curious about how the sports media tackles this.

The same sports media that **** on male athletes for cracking under pressure and not being more like MJ.

The same sports media that praises Kobe/MJ for verbally ripping apart their teammates in practice for being soft and mentally weak.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,694

Post#38 » by WarriorGM » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:32 pm

LikeABosh wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:
gorz wrote:

"Mental health isn't as important to people who have money"

You're paid more so you have more resources to deal with it. One reason I think that actors making millions are not necessarily overpaid. They have to put up with a lot of public scrutiny and criticism.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,490

Post#39 » by Infinite Llamas » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:32 pm

My thing is...we need to address mental health issues. We do. I just wonder where this might lead.

I know that this is a sensitive subject, but what happens if you’re trying to run a business and five employees call out saying they aren’t mentally able to work on that day? A teacher takes a week off citing mental concerns. A surgeon. An EMT. A firefighter. The list goes on and on. The world could come to a standstill if everyone took the time to deal with their issues...because let’s be honest. Everyone is dealing with something.

I guess the difference is that most people go and do their jobs everyday regardless of mental state because it’s their livelihood and they need their paycheck. So I think it’s great that Simone is able to recover and that she gets the help she needs, we should also focus on those who do their job everyday with issues that are going through things and don’t necessarily have the option of taking time off. I don’t want it to seem like I’m belittling her or her issues. I just wish others with issues who needed help could get it without the fear of lost wages or stigmas at the work place.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
TraBuch
Sophomore
And1: 118

Post#40 » by TraBuch » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:35 pm

Infinite Llamas wrote:My thing is...we need to address mental health issues. We do. I just wonder where this might lead.

I know that this is a sensitive subject, but what happens if you’re trying to run a business and five employees call out saying they aren’t mentally able to work on that day? A teacher takes a week off citing mental concerns. A surgeon. An EMT. A firefighter. The list goes on and on. The world could come to a standstill if everyone took the time to deal with their issues...because let’s be honest. Everyone is dealing with something.

I guess the difference is that most people go and do their jobs everyday regardless of mental state because it’s their livelihood and they need their paycheck. So I think it’s great that Simone is able to recover and that she gets the help she needs, we should also focus on those who do their job everyday with issues that are going through things and don’t necessarily have the option of taking time off. I don’t want it to seem like I’m belittling her or her issues. I just wish others with issues who needed help could get it without the fear of lost wages or stigmas at the work place.

Don’t know about you, but if a surgeon had mental health issues that were serious enough for them to think about not working, I sure as hell hope they call in sick before operating on me.

Return to Olympics