Simone Biles

13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Re: Simone Biles 

Post#381 » by 13th Man » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:32 pm

Pointgod wrote:
Balls Deep wrote:Weak move. All this mental health **** is nonsense. Spoiled multimillionaires folding under pressure of playing games. Those aren’t real problems. Real problems are struggling to feed/provide for your family.

Show us your expertise that makes you qualified to speak on anyone’s mental health or ability to perform in their sport.

Read on Twitter

Lol, all I see are a bunch of excuses from every angle by a friend who of course will jump to her defense.

Her friend even pointed to the fact that the judges didn't know how to score her properly since the difficulty level of her routine was so high due to expectations from sponsors, endorsements, the media and the public.

Here's an thought; how about tune down your routine difficulty as soon as you realize that you can no longer be able to comfortably perform them? Do we see her backing out of her sponsors and stop collecting the checks? No. She chose to continue with the extremely difficult routines because that was what's expected of her from a financial and fame standpoint. There was no compromise there. The only compromise came at the expense of her team and her country when she could no longer live up to the hype and expectations.
Balls Deep
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,294

Post#382 » by Balls Deep » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:36 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
Balls Deep wrote:Weak move. All this mental health **** is nonsense. Spoiled multimillionaires folding under pressure of playing games. Those aren’t real problems. Real problems are struggling to feed/provide for your family.

You actually typed this and thought "yeah, this is want I want to post."

Just unbelievable stuff going on this thread. That's probably the worst post I've seen though. Soo...congrats, I guess?

Mental health problems are things like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc. not this ****. Pressure comes with sports. If you can’t handle it then ok, but you shouldn’t be labeled a hero. Also, why didn’t she just pull out before the Olympics? I’ll tell you why, she wanted the attention.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,615

Post#383 » by Meat » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:38 pm

13th Man wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:
13th Man wrote:The truth of the matter is that she failed to live up to expectations and simply quit.

I love when people who have no actual idea what they're talking about make statements about THE TRUTH like this. This thread is filled with nonsense like this.

It's okay not say anything sometimes, internet warriors.

I'm just calling a spade a spade. There is no doubt that she is super talented, her wealth of past achievements and how much she has contributed to the sport. I'm not taking any of that away from her.

The harsh reality is that sports like gymnastics can be cruel with a very short window to be elite. We saw that she wasn't the same athlete at the Olympic trials and now at the Olympics. Rushing to make excuses for her and blaming the subpar performance on something else is what's wrong with today's society. Whatever happened to accountability and taking ownership? When things don't go your way, it's not always somebody else's fault.

Attributing this to mental health is just a copout imo. GOATs in their respective sports don't go through severe mental breakdowns at the biggest stage. It just doesn't happen. They have gotten there for a reason and a lot of it is due to their mental strength aond fortitude. There is sometimes chokery and there is also a decline in physical abilities which I think are both more plausible in this case.

didnt jordan retire at the height of his career?
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,720

Post#384 » by Pointgod » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:39 pm

13th Man wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

Show us your expertise that makes you qualified to speak on anyone’s mental health or ability to perform in their sport.

Read on Twitter

Lol, all I see are a bunch of excuses from every angle by a friend who of course will jump out to defend her.

Her friend even pointed to the fact that the judges didn't know how to score her properly since the difficulty level of her routine was so high due to expectations from sponsors, endorsements, the media and the public.

Here's an thought; how about tune down your routine difficulty as soon as you realize that you can no longer be able to comfortably perform them? Do we see her backing out of her sponsors and stop collecting the checks? No. She chose to continue with the extremely difficult routines because that was what's expected of her from a financial and fame standpoint. There was no compromise there. The only compromise came at the expense of her team and her country when she could no longer live up to the hype and expectations.

The friend is not Simon Biles’ friend it’s the Twitter users friend a gymnastic coach that actually knows what she’s talking about unlike you. Asking her to tone down her routines is probably the stupidest thing I’ve heard. If she’s head and shoulders above the competition that’s not her problem. It’s just as ridiculous as when the NCAA banned dunking because I believe either Kareem or Wilt was too dominant.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 62,006

Post#385 » by F N 11 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:40 pm

Shes still amazing fuq yall trophies. Shame on people with lack of knowledge on mental health talking crazy. You dont know what its like to be in her shoes so you cant even have an opinion really...
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,720

Post#386 » by Pointgod » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:40 pm

Balls Deep wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:

Just unbelievable stuff going on this thread. That's probably the worst post I've seen though. Soo...congrats, I guess?

Mental health problems are things like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc. not this ****. Pressure comes with sports. If you can’t handle it then ok, but you shouldn’t be labeled a hero. Also, why didn’t she just pull out before the Olympics? I’ll tell you why, she wanted the attention.

So anxiety and depression aren’t mental health problems? Where exactly did you get your medical degree?
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,558

Post#387 » by Andi Obst » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:41 pm

Balls Deep wrote:Mental health problems are things like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc. not this ****.

Says RealGM user "Balls Deep," known mental health expert.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
ceiling raiser
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,728

Post#388 » by ceiling raiser » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:42 pm

13th Man wrote:Here's an thought; how about tune down your routine difficulty as soon as you realize that you can no longer be able to comfortably perform them? Do we see her backing out of her sponsors and stop collecting the checks? No. She chose to continue with the extremely difficult routines because that was what's expected of her from a financial and fame standpoint. There was no compromise there. The only compromise came at the expense of her team and her country when she could no longer live up to the hype and expectations.

Regardless of how someone feels about this situation (my personal belief is that all Olympians deserve support from their countries unless they express disdain for a country or its people), I think this is kind of hits on a good question.

Should we reward athletes for a higher degree of difficulty if it decreases the chance of success?

For an NBA analogy, this could come back to the super team debate. If a player wins on a one-man show team (or a team perceived to be a one-man show, since these are for the most part deep teams with quality supporting casts), like 77 Walton, 94&95 Hakeem, 03 Duncan, 11 Dirk, 19 Kawhi, 21 Giannis, that's all well and good. But does a player who wins once with a team like that deserve more credit for trying to do it again and failing?

Players can build up a lot of capital from a big win, but how much good will does it buy? Might depend on the city.

To circle back, I don't watch gymnastics so I'm not sure if it was a matter of trying to live up to the high standards set, or if she attempted an even more difficult routine that was part of the issue. I think taking on a challenging path is admirable, but I think in either case it makes sense she would face criticism (and it comes with the territory of being a high-profile athlete).
Now that's the difference between first and last place.
Meat
Head Coach

Post#389 » by Meat » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:42 pm

Balls Deep wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:

where'd you get your phd doctor? norepinephrine's not really a thing is it?
13th Man
General Manager

Post#390 » by 13th Man » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:42 pm

Anytime you experience a setback or make an error in judgement, lets just chalk it up to mental health!
Andi Obst
General Manager

Post#391 » by Andi Obst » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:44 pm

13th Man wrote:[Lol, all I see are a bunch of excuses from every angle by a friend who of course will jump to her defense.

Yeah, let's listen to RealGM users who have no idea what they're talking about and keep making up stuff instead!

bkseven
Sixth Man
And1: 235

Post#392 » by bkseven » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:46 pm

Clay Davis wrote:
bkseven wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:She has given enough and then some to Team USA. She deserves a break

Then she could have taken that break earlier before the Olympics started... There were other US Olympians competing for her spot.
I was wondering, were such people with the team? It'd make sense to have replacements in case of injury.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using RealGM mobile app

Don’t think so. They were sent home after the qualifying. I’m sure happens… but should be a rare occurrence on the biggest stage
Meat
Head Coach

Post#393 » by Meat » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:49 pm

art_tatum wrote:
EmperorLocky wrote:I don't see much of a difference between Simone Biles and Ben Simmons. Zero mental fortitude. One absolutely destroyed by fans and media. The other getting the bubble wrap treatment.

At least simmons played and missed those fts. Lol.

But then again he didnt attempt any 3s.

So simmons actually played to the detriment of his team, instead of bowing out and letting a sub in this case Jade Carey who was 2nd in the vault and 3rd in the floor routine, a world class gymnast.

So which is better, Simmons playing or subbing out for another top 10 pg in the league? idk lets say morrant or fox
Meat
Head Coach

Post#394 » by Meat » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:53 pm

bkseven wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:
bkseven wrote:
Then she could have taken that break earlier before the Olympics started... There were other US Olympians competing for her spot.
I was wondering, were such people with the team? It'd make sense to have replacements in case of injury.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using RealGM mobile app

Don’t think so. They were sent home after the qualifying. I’m sure happens… but should be a rare occurrence on the biggest stage

they brought 4 alternates Eaker, Wong, Kayla DiCello and Emma Malabuyo
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 62,006

Post#395 » by F N 11 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:54 pm

Fact is, people arent even qualified for an opinion.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,359

Post#396 » by rapstarter » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:56 pm

This Ben Simmons comparison seems odd to me. Is it only being made because people who are angry with Biles believes she should be getting the same crap Simmons did? I know very very little of gymnastics, but by all accounts, it looks she's already proven herself as the furthest thing from Simmons - overcoming odds, constantly improving, attempting to do more, AND winning. So far, this was basically a one-off for her albeit at the biggest stage. I don't think people were ever upset with Simmons ONLY because he shot worse in the playoffs. It was his body of work since he joined the league. The biggest criticism of him has been that he hasn't improved (and showed very little sign of wanting to improve).
13th Man
General Manager

Post#397 » by 13th Man » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:56 pm

fpliii wrote:
13th Man wrote:Here's an thought; how about tune down your routine difficulty as soon as you realize that you can no longer be able to comfortably perform them? Do we see her backing out of her sponsors and stop collecting the checks? No. She chose to continue with the extremely difficult routines because that was what's expected of her from a financial and fame standpoint. There was no compromise there. The only compromise came at the expense of her team and her country when she could no longer live up to the hype and expectations.

Regardless of how someone feels about this situation (my personal belief is that all Olympians deserve support from their countries unless they express disdain for a country or its people), I think this is kind of hits on a good question.

Should we reward athletes for a higher degree of difficulty if it decreases the chance of success?

For an NBA analogy, this could come back to the super team debate. If a player wins on a one-man show team (or a team perceived to be a one-man show, since these are for the most part deep teams with quality supporting casts), like 77 Walton, 94&95 Hakeem, 03 Duncan, 11 Dirk, 19 Kawhi, 21 Giannis, that's all well and good. But does a player who wins once with a team like that deserve more credit for trying to do it again and failing?

Players can build up a lot of capital from a big win, but how much good will does it buy? Might depend on the city.

To circle back, I don't watch gymnastics so I'm not sure if it was a matter of trying to live up to the high standards set, or if she attempted an even more difficult routine that was part of the issue. I think taking on a challenging path is admirable, but I think in either case it makes sense she would face criticism (and it comes with the territory of being a high-profile athlete).

I don't watch a lot of gymnastics either but from what I'm reading, the difficulty level of her routines is already high enough such that the judges can't score her properly and have to deliberately lower her score to keep everyone else on the same playing field so to speak.

I don't think the NBA analogy relates because the scoring is not subjective like it is in judging sports. The true indicator of one's success is the final score and number of championships, not the level of difficulty that one endures to get there.

From a financial standpoint, it definitely makes sense for her to try to live up to the high expectations set by her sponsors and endorsement deals. If she was truly honest with herself and with the sponsors, I think that her team should have lowered the difficulty of the routines to give her a greater chance at success at this stage of her career. Imo, she sacrificed the well being of the team and the country but not making any sacrifices to align the expectations of her sponsors accordingly. They continued to play along with the notion of her being heads and shoulders above everybody else when this is not reality anymore.
13th Man
General Manager

Post#398 » by 13th Man » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:03 pm

Little Nathan wrote:
13th Man wrote:[Lol, all I see are a bunch of excuses from every angle by a friend who of course will jump to her defense.

Yeah, let's listen to RealGM users who have no idea what they're talking about and keep making up stuff instead!

Hey at least I brought up a bunch of points to substantiate my opinion, this is a discussion forum after all. What were your points again?
MVP1992
Rookie
And1: 552

Post#399 » by MVP1992 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:04 pm

rapstarter wrote:This Ben Simmons comparison seems odd to me. Is it only being made because people who are angry with Biles believes she should be getting the same crap Simmons did? I know very very little of gymnastics, but by all accounts, it looks she's already proven herself as the furthest thing from Simmons - overcoming odds, constantly improving, attempting to do more, AND winning. So far, this was basically a one-off for her albeit at the biggest stage. I don't think people were ever upset with Simmons ONLY because he shot worse in the playoffs. It was his body of work since he joined the league. The biggest criticism of him has been that he hasn't improved (and showed very little sign of wanting to improve).

He quit on the Australian Olympics team shortly before the tournament.

The comparison is QUITTER. Get it?

Might as well add Liz Cambage too.

Fragility.
Mr. Biden shot back: “You’ve got more questions? Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t Black.”
Andi Obst
General Manager

Post#400 » by Andi Obst » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:05 pm

13th Man wrote:
Little Nathan wrote:

Hey at least I brought up a bunch of points to substantiate my case, this is a discussion forum after all. What were your points again?

My point is that you didn't bring up any real points to substantiate your case. Because you didn't.

Return to Olympics