Phelps or Bolt

Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Re: Phelps or Bolt 

Post#421 » by Joker » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:12 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
That doesn't make it insignificant. Medal count is something that has to be considered, just not by itself.

See my above edited post.

There is certainly a correlation, but they're not one in the same.

Going back to the OP's original question, it's about who's more impressive, not necessarily who has a more impressive resume--a subtle but important difference.
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#422 » by aboveAverage » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:29 pm

Phelps is definitely more impressive, no doubt about that. However, Bolt is more fun to watch, in my opinion. I am glued to the TV whenever Usain Bolt is racing, whereas I had mild interest in watching Michael Phelps swim. Bolt is a more exciting package.
jTF2
Head Coach
And1: 96

Post#423 » by jTF2 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:20 pm

The 100m dash is the pinnacle of human athletic achievement. Its the most exciting 10 seconds in sports history and it only comes every 2 years (Olympics, Commonwealth games... world champs don't have the same prestige). IMO, Bolt's win in the 100 is worth about 3 golds by Phelps. Phelps is still ahead by far overall and Bolt/team winning the relay won't change anything but I absolutely admire Bolt more.

That being said, I'm not sure which I'll remember more.. Phelps' YAHHHH moment which sent shivers down my spine or Bolt slowing down and getting the WR in which I was left slack jawed.
On the Kardashian sisters:
Boognish wrote:
True Warrior Zo wrote:Why are they all standing with their legs crossed?

Keeps the evil spirits from escaping
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#424 » by 5DOM » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:47 pm

The lanky 21-year-old, who is reported by the Financial Times to have boosted Puma’s sale of sneakers by two million pairs in the first hour after taking the 100m title on Saturday, was diplomatic when asked if he would go after Johnson’s 12-year-old record. “I’ll leave it all on the track,” he said.

puma won.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#425 » by TheGlyde » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:19 am

jTF2 wrote:The 100m dash is the pinnacle of human athletic achievement. Its the most exciting 10 seconds in sports history and it only comes every 2 years (Olympics, Commonwealth games... world champs don't have the same prestige). IMO, Bolt's win in the 100 is worth about 3 golds by Phelps. Phelps is still ahead by far overall and Bolt/team winning the relay won't change anything but I absolutely admire Bolt more.

That being said, I'm not sure which I'll remember more.. Phelps' YAHHHH moment which sent shivers down my spine or Bolt slowing down and getting the WR in which I was left slack jawed.

Hang on, you're saying the commonwealth games 100m final has more prestige than the World Championships 100m final?

Disagree 100%

Olympics >> World Champs >>>> Commonwealth Games.
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,759

Post#426 » by dougthonus » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:30 am

The 100m dash is the pinnacle of human athletic achievement.

:rofl:

I think I'd consider basically any athlete at the top of a sport of skill to have reached a greater state of human athletic achievement. I'm more impressed with Tiger Woods or Roger Federer or Michael Jordan than someone who basically can run fast in a straight line for 10 seconds. I mean it's an impressive feat of training / genetics, but I would consider it less than just about any other real sport on the pinnacle of human athletic achievement. Could you really watch a 100m race 50-60 times a year compared to most sports?
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#427 » by deNIEd » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:44 am

jTF2 wrote:The 100m dash is the pinnacle of human athletic achievement. Its the most exciting 10 seconds in sports history and it only comes every 2 years (Olympics, Commonwealth games... world champs don't have the same prestige). IMO, Bolt's win in the 100 is worth about 3 golds by Phelps. Phelps is still ahead by far overall and Bolt/team winning the relay won't change anything but I absolutely admire Bolt more.

Lol, not really.

You can say that the 100m is the pinnacle of the human body, but it isn't the pinnacle of the human athletic achievement. Again, coming from a track athlete, you are born to run the 100m. It's all about acceleration and overall top speed. Compared to other track events or other sports, genetics far outweigh training and dedication/heart.

Anyone can run a 100m. It's not far at all. Your typical Joe will be able to run the 100m. He'll be able to get out of the blocks, start sprinting as fast as he can, depending on his conditioning, he will very likely hit a wall 60-70m in. However, if he can tough another 5 seconds or so, he'll finish the race. ANYONE can do that.

What I would like to see is Bolt run the 400 (which is the pinnacle of human athletic achievement, and also one of my former events lol). 400 you are sprinting at top speed the entire time. From the moment you leave the blocks, you are sprinting as fast as you can, you do that for the first 100m curve, then the 2nd 100 straightaway, by now you want to quit, but you keep going for another 100m curve. Now, your body is dead, you can't move your legs anymore, your heart and lungs hurt, all common sense says stop, you've already ran as fast as you can for 300m, but instead of stopping, you now run even faster for the final stretch. The 400m pushes a human to his limit (in terms of speed).

In order for Bolt to prove his ability to me, he will have to become a 400m runner as well. If you watched his 200m race, he hit a wall about 150m, I want to see how he will do in a full lap.
deNIEd
Banned User

Post#428 » by deNIEd » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:50 am

dougthonus wrote:

I think I'd consider basically any athlete at the top of a sport of skill to have reached a greater state of human athletic achievement. I'm more impressed with Tiger Woods or Roger Federer or Michael Jordan than someone who basically can run fast in a straight line for 10 seconds. I mean it's an impressive feat of training / genetics, but I would consider it less than just about any other real sport on the pinnacle of human athletic achievement. Could you really watch a 100m race 50-60 times a year compared to most sports?

It's different lol.

A sport like basketball, tennis, golf, etc. is more about skill than physical athletic capabilities (to a certain extent of course). How many basketball players have we seen that are by far draw dropping in terms of athletic ability, yet horrible players because they have no skill. In track, skill has far less impact on your overall performance compared to your overall athletic abilities.

Running an event is far more demanding on a person's body than other sports, (again basketball, football, golf, etc.)

Lol, outside of maybe swimming (I'm a bad swimmer), track practices are more intense and harder than any other sports.
It's just a different kind of physical requirement.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#429 » by Geddy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:52 am

I'd rate Phelps higher if Spitz hadn't won 7 at one olympics. The fact that Spitz accomplished that shows that it can be done considering all the events that go on in the pool.

If Jamaica wins the 4X100m, then i'll defo have to go with Bolt (no matter what those sore losers Bob Costas and Ato Boldin have to say)
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
canoner
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#430 » by canoner » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:35 am

dougthonus wrote:

:rofl: there you go the under-appreciation of what american athlets are not best at.

The Olympic motto is "Citius, Altius, Fortius". Notice what comes first: faster! I bet you would appreciate 100m and 200m sprints better if Bolt were an American.
canoner
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#431 » by canoner » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:42 am

deNIEd wrote:Lol, not really.

You can say that the 100m is the pinnacle of the human body, but it isn't the pinnacle of the human athletic achievement. Again, coming from a track athlete, you are born to run the 100m. It's all about acceleration and overall top speed. Compared to other track events or other sports, genetics far outweigh training and dedication/heart.

In other words, a great sprinter is God-sent, which is what makes sprinting the pinnacle of sport competition: a competition among the best specimen of God.

But to be fair, any sprinter has to put in fair amount of effort himself in order to win.
GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,631

Post#432 » by GQStylin » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:44 am

dougthonus wrote:

Tiger Woods is the best golfer I've ever seen. But golf is NOT a real sport. Any sport where guys like John Daly can be competitive and succeed in isn't a sport. As great as Tiger is, what Phelps and Bolt did is much more impressive to me.
jourdy
Starter
And1: 959

Post#433 » by jourdy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:49 am

jTF2 wrote:Phelps' YAHHHH moment which sent shivers down my spine

I think they're equal.

Phelps' 8 golds sound more impressive when you hear about it. 8 golds sounds very intimidating. My country has not even 1 bronze @_@

Bolt then sounds more impressive when you take into account the details
RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#434 » by RockTHECasbah » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:00 am

the real battle is between Belps and Pholt... true champions
Know anyone who is disabled? has an addiction?
HandyTax - Your Canadian Disability Tax Credit Consultants
http://www.handytax.ca
dacher
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#435 » by dacher » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:28 am

The accomplishment of being a great in activities have to discounted by the availability of the sport to the world's population. For example if you are the greatest curler in all history -- when there are like 10 people in the world who curl, how great of an accomplishment is it, really? The greats are like biggest fish in small ponds. Much of the world doesn't have the opportunity to swim. Maybe Phelps wouldn't be winning 8 if everyone in the world had access to olympic sized swimming pools growing up.

OTOH the 100m sprint is the most universal, basic event of all athletics. Near 100% of everyone in the world has tried running 100m full out. Most anywhere in the world, if you are a fast runner with potential you can try becoming world class, get an athletic scholarship, run in the olympics. It is a universal activity open to everyone. Bolt is nearly certainly the absolute fastest possible man on the planet at this time. Phelps ... maybe there is some person in China or Africa would have taken some of Phelps medals had they only had access to a big swimming pool growing up.
deNIEd
Banned User

Post#436 » by deNIEd » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:57 am

canoner wrote:
deNIEd wrote:Lol, not really.

In other words, a great sprinter is God-sent, which is what makes sprinting the pinnacle of sport competition: a competition among the best specimen of God.

But to be fair, any sprinter has to put in fair amount of effort himself in order to win.

Oh, of course. That effort is very likely the difference between many high school runners and collegiate runners.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,521

Post#437 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:56 am

GQStylin wrote:Tiger Woods is the best golfer I've ever seen. But golf is NOT a real sport. Any sport where guys like John Daly can be competitive and succeed in isn't a sport. As great as Tiger is, what Phelps and Bolt did is much more impressive to me.

Had you ended with the "not a real sport" thing I'd have only accused you of being picky, but saying you're not impressed by Tiger? Ridiculous. Are you not impressed by Albert Einstein because he didn't need muscles to do what he did? C'mon.

Now, I really don't like golf, and I don't understand why others like it so much. But it's crystal clear that Tiger is an incredible talent. For one, physically, the ability to hit a golf ball with control take unbelievable motor control. Beyond that, it takes a mental toughness that frankly would be of use in any sport to do it as consistently perfect as Tiger.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#438 » by Blame Rasho » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:14 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
GQStylin wrote:Tiger Woods is the best golfer I've ever seen. But golf is NOT a real sport. Any sport where guys like John Daly can be competitive and succeed in isn't a sport. As great as Tiger is, what Phelps and Bolt did is much more impressive to me.

Had you ended with the "not a real sport" thing I'd have only accused you of being picky, but saying you're not impressed by Tiger? Ridiculous. Are you not impressed by Albert Einstein because he didn't need muscles to do what he did? C'mon.

Now, I really don't like golf, and I don't understand why others like it so much. But it's crystal clear that Tiger is an incredible talent. For one, physically, the ability to hit a golf ball with control take unbelievable motor control. Beyond that, it takes a mental toughness that frankly would be of use in any sport to do it as consistently perfect as Tiger.

Well I think he thinks of it as a recreational sport... instead of a physical sport. There isn't much of a possibility of you being physically harmed by playing golf instead of football/basketball, and etc. And in some peoples eyes it isn't a real sport due to that reason. What about bowling? It isn't a popular sport but there are parallels that can be drawn to golfing. It is a recreational sport. You can get fat guys who excel while the creme of the crop are fit guys.

But I agree with you with Tiger... the man will become the first billionaire from playing sports. If you can't be impressed with that, nothing will. He is about as dominate in his sport as Joe Louis was in boxing, that MJ was to basketball.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,521

Post#439 » by Doctor MJ » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:30 am

Blame Rasho wrote:Well I think he thinks of it as a recreational sport... instead of a physical sport. There isn't much of a possibility of you being physically harmed by playing golf instead of football/basketball, and etc. And in some peoples eyes it isn't a real sport due to that reason. What about bowling? It isn't a popular sport but there are parallels that can be drawn to golfing. It is a recreational sport. You can get fat guys who excel while the creme of the crop are fit guys.

But I agree with you with Tiger... the man will become the first billionaire from playing sports. If you can't be impressed with that, nothing will. He is about as dominate in his sport as Joe Louis was in boxing, that MJ was to basketball.

Whilte I completely agree that it's a less physical sport than most, Tiger's knee clearly got injured by something, and it's pretty easy how you could wrench your back something fierce playing golf.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
GQStylin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,631

Post#440 » by GQStylin » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:40 am

Doctor MJ wrote:Had you ended with the "not a real sport" thing I'd have only accused you of being picky, but saying you're not impressed by Tiger? Ridiculous. Are you not impressed by Albert Einstein because he didn't need muscles to do what he did? C'mon.

Errrmmm. I did say that Tiger is the best golfer I've ever seen didn't I? :wink: I'm just saying what Bolt and Phelps achieved in these olympics is much more impressive than what Tiger has done, mainly because golf isn't much of a sport. I mean you don't have to be in shape or be very young to be competitive and all you have to do is compete against a golf course.

Blame Rasho wrote:Well I think he thinks of it as a recreational sport... instead of a physical sport. There isn't much of a possibility of you being physically harmed by playing golf instead of football/basketball, and etc. And in some peoples eyes it isn't a real sport due to that reason. What about bowling? It isn't a popular sport but there are parallels that can be drawn to golfing. It is a recreational sport. You can get fat guys who excel while the creme of the crop are fit guys.

I'm hella impressed by Tiger in that regard. At how much money he can make off a psuedo-sport that fat and old dudes can play and compete competitively in. I mean seriously how many other sports are there that guys with guts and 50 year olds can potentially beat a fit young man like Tiger on any given day?

Return to Olympics