Olympic Luger dies while training

DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Olympic Luger dies while training 

Post#1 » by DelaneyRudd » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:25 pm

http://www.sltrib.com/olympics/ci_14390684?source=rv
Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled, went over the track wall and struck an unpadded steel pole near the finish line at Whistler Sliding Center.

Rescue workers were at his side within seconds, chest compressions and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation started less than one minute after the crash, and he was quickly airlifted to a trauma center in Whistler.

Terrible news for a very fast sport. It's certainly a great risk you take traveling so fast with so little separating yourself from the outside world. Tragic to hear of this just a few hours before the opening ceremonies when Olympians are all equal and are just there to represent their countries and be rewarded for years of hard work.
raps4life~
General Manager
And1: 25

Re: Olympic Luger dies while training 

Post#2 » by raps4life~ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Very sad news. RIP. The track is the fastest in the world, and athletes haven't had enough time to adjust to it, especially from the smaller countries. I hope something is done to fix the issue.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#3 » by 5DOM » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:43 pm

Rest in peace.

So much respect for all those guys risking their lives to represent their countries and compete
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#4 » by TNBT » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:41 am

RIP to the guy. I hope they put a lot more safety features in place before the track is used again. I don't see why the track can't have plastic/glass/whatever it is walls around it, like they have at hockey games.
Bank Shot
RealGM
And1: 10,414

Post#5 » by Bank Shot » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:31 am

I went to Men's luge yesterday. They had a whole bunch of padding and a ton of paramedics where the guy crashed. I didn't realize how close he was to the finish when he crashed. He was less then a second from finishing.

Return to Olympics