Handball is fantastic and everyone should watch it

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Handball is fantastic and everyone should watch it 

Post#1 » by Mr. E » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:49 pm

The biggest thing that I took from the 2016 Rio Games was how much I came to enjoy the sport of handball. Thanks to several RealGM posters I learned a lot about it, and I've been finding myself looking up clips of matches.

This sport has high quality performance by both men and women. It is a sport which requires size, strength, accuracy, tremendous cardio capability and a level of sheer toughness which I would normally associate with Rugby.

The goals are great, but I need to find a good video that shows saves by the goalkeepers. That was what impressed me the most!
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
TheTrooper
Senior
And1: 550

Re: Handball is fantastic and everyone should watch it 

Post#2 » by TheTrooper » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:51 am

Finaly a topic for us few handball lovers here.
The Olympics ended and like in other sports nothing much going on right now. Champions leage is about to start in 1 month. Ill post more about it tomorrow. :)
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Mr. E » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:18 am

TheTrooper wrote:Finaly a topic for us few handball lovers here.
The Olympics ended and like in other sports nothing much going on right now. Champions leage is about to start in 1 month. Ill post more about it tomorrow. :)

I wanted to go to that local club's open practice earlier tonight; but I guess that they had the week off. :(
- Winston Churchill
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#4 » by TheTrooper » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:40 am

Mr. E wrote:
TheTrooper wrote:Finaly a topic for us few handball lovers here.

I wanted to go to that local club's open practice earlier tonight; but I guess that they had the week off. :(

:lol: Tough luck....

Well you can always try later. Anyways what position do you think will most fit you ?

I found one good goalkeeping video. It's a compilation of Wolf, Andersson, Heinevetter and Landin. Probably the best goalkeepers with the most attractive saves.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RovN7fOtv8k[/youtube]

^
edti Why is this not working ?
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#5 » by TheTrooper » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:56 am

Champions league is Europe's and world's strongest competition. The best clubs of the continent play a tournament similar to the soccer CL. The way you qualify is the same and it has it's own coefficient ranking like in soccer.
The difference is the tournament format itself,which kinda sucks and it's complicated. It's good for the best teams because they avoid weaker teams and empty stands and you get at least 14 games against the best opponents available.

In handball you have 2 separate parts.The first part has 2 groups of 8 called A and B and they consist of the best ranked teams. The other part has 2 groups of 6 (C and D) where the lower ranked top European teams play.

The first 6 teams of groups A and B progress to the next stage. The group winners go directly to the 1/4 finales and skip the first knock out round. The other 10 teams play each other and the opponents from part 2 of the competition.
The first 2 teams from groups C&D play a playoff round and the winners join and play the 10 teams from the first part (12 teams total, 6 pairs).

So you get 6 winners of that stage that progress forward and are joined by the winners of group A and B. After they play each other 4 teams remain and they go on to play the Final 4 in Cologne.

I hope I explained it well. :D

Last year winners were the Polish champions Viva Tauron Kielce. They won against Hungarian champions Veszprem in what was one of the best final games of all time. The Hungarians were leading in double digits until 10-15 minutes before the end when Kielce starts one of the best comebacks ever. They finally drew the game and it went into overtime. After 2 overtimes and still no winner,a penalty shoot-out decided the winner.
A real thriller that i was unable to watch because I was on the road. I just remember stopping at a gas station and everyone was like glued to the screen there. I found out why 2 hours later. :lol:
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Mr. E » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:11 pm

TheTrooper wrote: :lol: Tough luck....

Well you can always try later. Anyways what position do you think will most fit you ?

I found one good goalkeeping video. It's a compilation of Wolf, Andersson, Heinevetter and Landin. Probably the best goalkeepers with the most attractive saves.

^
edti Why is this not working ?

Right now I'm dealing with an injury, so I'm just trying to check the sport out to learn more about it. Hopefully I can try my hand at it soon.

I will try to get your video to work

- Winston Churchill
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Mr. E » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:13 pm

I have no explanation why the video worked in my post, but not yours. I cut and pasted the address and used the YouTube tags. I'll ask about that.

Thank you for the video!
- Winston Churchill
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#8 » by TheTrooper » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:19 pm

Mr. E wrote:I have no explanation why the video worked in my post, but not yours. I cut and pasted the address and used the YouTube tags. I'll ask about that.

Thank you for the video!

I don't know what happened. It's the first time a video doesn't work for me.

I hope you get back soon and try it out. Just don't expect the handball you saw on tv. Amateur level handball has almost no tactics and a lot of wild running around :lol:

Anyways handball was no2 sport at the Olympics by attendance and that is in a non-European country !!!
http://infograficos.oglobo.globo.com/esportes/rio-2016/os-numeros-que-refletem-o-sucesso.html

I know I saw a lot of full stands at games where Brazil was not playing, but I did not expect 2nd place.
I really hope Brazil becomes a powerhouse in the next few years. They are really good at beach handball and obviously this sport has some popularity over there. Would be great to see a non-European powerhouse in the next 5-10 years. :D
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#9 » by TheTrooper » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:35 pm

TheTrooper
Senior

Post#10 » by TheTrooper » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:32 pm

Mr. E wrote:!

Just to let you know
Handball WC in France started yesterday !!! :)
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#11 » by TheTrooper » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:24 am

So far European teams are dominating. This is probably the only sport in which I support teams from other continents than Europe and they did not start very well.
France smashed Brazil in the wc opener 31-16.

Angola got trashed by Slovenia 42 - 25

Macedonia beat Tunisia in an interesting game. They were losing 4 goals 15 minutes before the end and managed to grab a +4 win.

Russia got a 10 goal victory against Japan

In the more interesting matches we had Iceland vs Spain and Poland without almost all their best players that either retired or got injured vs Norway.

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Mr. E » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:32 pm

So,

1. France
2. Norway
3. Slovenia
- Winston Churchill
ana_86
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#13 » by ana_86 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 7:50 am

Definitely a good sport, although i have not played much except for when i was in school, even got selected for the house team. But not anymore after school. Though this sport has helped me keep myself in shape.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#14 » by The_Brecht » Fri Aug 4, 2017 11:22 am

Oh, a handball thread.
I've been playing the sport now for 13 years.
I'm a goalkeeper btw.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#15 » by TheTrooper » Fri Jan 4, 2019 5:12 pm

The_Brecht wrote:Oh, a handball thread.
I'm a goalkeeper btw.

Just a reminder.
World Cup in Germany/Denmark starts soon.

:D
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#16 » by The_Brecht » Sat Jan 5, 2019 1:06 pm

TheTrooper wrote:
I'm a goalkeeper btw.

Just a reminder.

I'm going to Koln for some games.
Just a three hour drive :).
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#17 » by TheTrooper » Sun Jan 6, 2019 2:14 am

The_Brecht wrote:
TheTrooper wrote:
I'm a goalkeeper btw.

Just a reminder.

I'm going to Koln for some games.
Just a three hour drive :).

That is awesome. Post some pics here :D
Unfortunately I have never been to a WC/EC handball match. :noway:
I have watched plenty of CL handball though.

Who do you think will reach the semis ?
My guess would be Denmark and Sweden from that side of the draw (they have no competition on that side so it would be a big surprise if one of them doesn't reach the semi finale) and France and Germany from the other.
Chack43
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#18 » by Chack43 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:39 am

This is a very good sport, I used to play handball, but only as an amateur. But recently I found an article about Timur Artemyev: linkedin.com/company/project42/. This is a businessman who started his business from scratch, and is now developing hoverboards. And I had a question, tell me is it possible to build a career on handball, if you are engaged every day?
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#19 » by TheTrooper » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:12 pm

https://www.handball-planet.com/professional-handball-league-in-usa-with-10-teams-to-start-in-2023/

The United States of America could get the professional handball league starting from 2023.
Verizon is one of America’s biggest marketing spenders led by CEO Hans Vestberg (former president of Swedish Olympic Committee), made the partnership with the USA Team Handball as a sponsor.

As a new sponsor of USA Team Handball, Verizon is hoping to put the sport on the map domestically. Its rights deal (a one-year agreement with options to go through 2024) will put the Verizon logo on the front of the NGB’s uniforms, and grant the communications giant a “Founding Technology and Content Provider” designation, through which it hopes to grow the sport. New sponsor dollars are always impressive; having the NGB’s first non-endemic sponsor is a revelation.

Will be fun to see how they are going to arrange this. It is said to be the most American sports that most Americans have not heard of. :D

Also, European Championship just finished. Spain defended the title, Croatia second, Norway third and Slovenia fourth. One of the most surprising tournaments with favorites like France and Spain going out after the first round and a new potential powerhouse in sight - Portugal (knocked out Sweden and France :crazy: ).
FinnYea77
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#20 » by FinnYea77 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:53 am

Return to General Other Sports Talk