US OPEN 2010

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Re: US OPEN 2010 

Post#21 » by Ong_dynasty » Thu Sep 9, 2010 8:28 am

j-far wrote:That's the first thing I noticed in his game against Lopez last night. That serve just got amazingly tough to handle. Now if he can put in some more confidence and variety into his second serve he could make a genuinely amazing upgrade in his game.

Isn't his second serve one of the best in the tour? not due to speed, but because of spin he puts into / being left handed?

If Nadal does not make the final at the very least, it should be considered disappointing.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,470

Post#22 » by Slava » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:12 am

I think Djoko has the best 2nd serve.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#23 » by Dupp » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:30 am

im just hoping for a nadal federer final... its been so long since ive watched a grand slam final, what an idiot
oberyn3
Sophomore
And1: 8

Post#24 » by oberyn3 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:36 pm

j-far wrote:I think Djoko has the best 2nd serve.

Djoko circa 2008, I'd agree with you. The current version of Djokovic has really been struggling with his serve for over a year now. It's too bad.
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach

Post#25 » by Ong_dynasty » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:25 pm

King23 wrote:im just hoping for a nadal federer final... its been so long since ive watched a grand slam final, what an idiot

I agree..the sad thing is, this could be the last one or atleast one of the last ones.
Can you imagine the last one was the 2009 Aussie Open, when federer broke down.

I actually love these finals because im one of the biggest Nadal Homers and my friend is one of the biggest Federer homers and we always make a gentleman's wager and make a day out of it.
oberyn3
Sophomore

Post#26 » by oberyn3 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:45 pm

Ong_dynasty wrote:I actually love these finals because im one of the biggest Nadal Homers and my friend is one of the biggest Federer homers and we always make a gentleman's wager and make a day out of it.

Considering the head-to-head record between these two, does your friend feel the same way? :lol: (j/k)

I hope there's another Fedal final, too (nothing against Djokovic and Youzhny).
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,653

Post#27 » by Doctor MJ » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:19 am

Bummed about Woz losing. Really frustrated by the inability of this latest generation really go anywhere with the talent they must have.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#28 » by Dupp » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:23 am

Ong_dynasty wrote:
King23 wrote:im just hoping for a nadal federer final... its been so long since ive watched a grand slam final, what an idiot

I agree..the sad thing is, this could be the last one or atleast one of the last ones.
Can you imagine the last one was the 2009 Aussie Open, when federer broke down.

I actually love these finals because im one of the biggest Nadal Homers and my friend is one of the biggest Federer homers and we always make a gentleman's wager and make a day out of it.

yeah well ill be watching definantly tomorrow night, tennis can be a pretty amazing sport
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,955

Post#29 » by Rich Rane » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:56 pm

Djokovic spoils Federer-Nadal final. As much as we all wanted to see the latter (myself included), that fifth set was as great a set as any.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,576

Post#30 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:56 am

Screw you Djoker!

And I love seeing Clijsters with these 3 titles after such a painful wait for the first. Great wins over Venus and Stosur on the way.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,576

Post#31 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:26 am

Doctor MJ wrote:Bummed about Woz losing. Really frustrated by the inability of this latest generation really go anywhere with the talent they must have.

I feel the same way about Woz as I did Ivanovic, Jankovic, Safina, and I guess Zvonereva now with her random breakout if she makes her way to the top 4. They can't take it to opponents. Big difference between them and someone like Sharapova to me. The latter when she's on can force her will on the game far more

Stosur's the one with the multiple majors upside to me. Big time athlete, big serve, just needs to get there mentally. She broke down a bit in the 3rd set of the Clijsters match but was otherwise taking it to her as much as getting taken to. This is a much better sign than the way Woz lost against Clijsters last year to me.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,816

Post#32 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:52 pm

What would have been the point? Nadal would have just wiped the floor with Federer, like he usually does.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#33 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:18 pm

UssjTrunks wrote:

What would have been the point? Nadal would have just wiped the floor with Federer, like he usually does.

Record win not on clay: Federer 5, Nadal 4. People vastly overstate Nadal's match up edge here. Given that Federer didn't beat Djoko, I doubt he beats Nadal, but not because he's utterly incapable of beating Nadal specifically.

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Slava » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:39 am

I'm really happy for Djokovic. He did something very few players other than Nadal have done, which is to not be overwhelmed while facing up to Federer. He cleaned up a lot of his game coming into this tourney and other than Nadal he looked the most impressive to me.

Made some great shots and kept Federer guessing for a good part of the game, completely deserved the win I'd say.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Slava » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:40 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
UssjTrunks wrote:

Record win not on clay: Federer 5, Nadal 4. People vastly overstate Nadal's match up edge here. Given that Federer didn't beat Djoko, I doubt he beats Nadal, but not because he's utterly incapable of beating Nadal specifically.

That can be quite deceptive since Nadal only kicked into gear on other surfaces after winning his first Wimbledon.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#36 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:44 am

j-far wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
UssjTrunks wrote:What would have been the point? Nadal would have just wiped the floor with Federer, like he usually does.

That can be quite deceptive since Nadal only kicked into gear on other surfaces after winning his first Wimbledon.

Eh, this guy is talking about what has actually happened. What's actually happened is no blow out by Nadal on non-clay. Fed has the overall edge. Nadal has won the 2 matches in the past 3 years, but both were 5 setters, and by that point Nadal was the #1 player in the game so him managing to squeak out victories over the #2 doesn't really tell us anything singular about the match up.

It just seems obvious that the statement was made based on a false perception of Nadal always beating Federer, and there's never been any track record of that except on clay.

oberyn3
Sophomore

Post#37 » by oberyn3 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:12 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:Eh, this guy is talking about what has actually happened. What's actually happened is no blow out by Nadal on non-clay. Fed has the overall edge. Nadal has won the 2 matches in the past 3 years, but both were 5 setters, and by that point Nadal was the #1 player in the game so him managing to squeak out victories over the #2 doesn't really tell us anything singular about the match up.

It just seems obvious that the statement was made based on a false perception of Nadal always beating Federer, and there's never been any track record of that except on clay.

While I think Nadal's edge on clay definitely skews their head-to-head, it's also true that Nadal has always been a bad matchup for Federer, regardless of surface. Clay accentuates this, but it's not like it doesn't exist anywhere else. Fed's overall edge off of clay is 7-5 (and Nadal actually leads 4-3 on outdoor hardcourts). It's no accident that Nadal is the guy who ended Federer's record hardcourt streak or that Nadal at age 17 beat Federer in the first match they ever played (on hardcourt).

The lefty heavy topspin forehand is simply a nightmare for Fed's backhand. Couple that with Nadal's defense and there's a reason Nadal's the only guy who's consistently beaten him on the biggest stages.

This certainly doesn't mean Nadal's been the better player, but I think it's undeniable that this is not a great match-up for Fed. In the same manner that a guy like Del Potro (tall, hits flat, etc.) represents a bad match-up for Nadal.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,249

Post#38 » by LLJ » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:42 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:
I feel the same way about Woz as I did Ivanovic, Jankovic, Safina, and I guess Zvonereva now with her random breakout if she makes her way to the top 4. They can't take it to opponents. Big difference between them and someone like Sharapova to me. The latter when she's on can force her will on the game far more

Sometimes people need time to develop that sort of killer instinct. I remember for a long time Kim Clijsters was criticized for being mentally soft and "too nice" when she wasn't winning any big events, as you mentioned earlier. But after she finally broke through, it's like she finally "got it" mentally. Now she's considered one of the few players who is not afraid of the Williams sisters and seems much more even keeled on the court.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#39 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:40 am

oberyn3 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:Eh, this guy is talking about what has actually happened. What's actually happened is no blow out by Nadal on non-clay. Fed has the overall edge. Nadal has won the 2 matches in the past 3 years, but both were 5 setters, and by that point Nadal was the #1 player in the game so him managing to squeak out victories over the #2 doesn't really tell us anything singular about the match up.

While I think Nadal's edge on clay definitely skews their head-to-head, it's also true that Nadal has always been a bad matchup for Federer, regardless of surface. Clay accentuates this, but it's not like it doesn't exist anywhere else. Fed's overall edge off of clay is 7-5 (and Nadal actually leads 4-3 on outdoor hardcourts). It's no accident that Nadal is the guy who ended Federer's record hardcourt streak or that Nadal at age 17 beat Federer in the first match they ever played (on hardcourt).

The lefty heavy topspin forehand is simply a nightmare for Fed's backhand. Couple that with Nadal's defense and there's a reason Nadal's the only guy who's consistently beaten him on the biggest stages.

This certainly doesn't mean Nadal's been the better player, but I think it's undeniable that this is not a great match-up for Fed. In the same manner that a guy like Del Potro (tall, hits flat, etc.) represents a bad match-up for Nadal.

All true.

Ong_dynasty
Head Coach

Post#40 » by Ong_dynasty » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:33 am

^^
The problem is, Nadal is still leading H2H against someone who is not a good match up for him.
http://www.tennistalk.com/en/headtohead ... fael_Nadal

Anyways, Nadal has finall won the career grandslam. and will have the chance to hold all 4 with the aussie open .

Return to General Other Sports Talk