The Formula One Auto Racing Thread

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Re: The Formula One Auto Racing Thread 

Post#61 » by Nolan » Tue May 13, 2014 8:59 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:The Red Bulls made some strides in Spain;
Vettel coming from 15th and carving up most folks in front of him was a lot of fun to watch but its still Merc's yard that everyone else is just playing in.

I really enjoyed Grosjean last season and it looks like Lotus is starting to "get it", however Renault commented this weekend they would withhold engines from teams who have not paid;

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/27347990

Have to wonder who the delinquents are?

Ferrari has been an interesting story;
Two world champs and a fairly unimpressive showing (just passed Force in the constructors) have to wonder if its cars or drivers at this point?

And whats the deal with McLaren?

Lotus is definitely one of them. :lol:

I was really impressed with Red Bull as well. Seb had the fastest lap and he made up some serious ground towards the end. I think they might have a shot at catching the Merc's.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#62 » by AdamTheGreek » Sun May 25, 2014 7:58 pm

That Monaco Grand Prix never gets old to watch on t.v. Such a treat on the eyes.

Mercedes is just murdering everyone right now.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#63 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon May 26, 2014 9:33 pm

You have to feel for Kimi a little bit;
If Max Chilton doesn't puncture his tire he likely finishes 3rd or 4th.
ā€Image
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by Nolan » Sun Jun 1, 2014 2:15 am

Hamilton's been acting like a little biatch lately.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#65 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Jun 9, 2014 6:29 pm

Nolan wrote:Hamilton's been acting like a little biatch lately.

Yeah, I was pretty happy his car crapped out yesterday.
If someone from Merc needs to win the drivers championship I hope its Nico.
ā€Image
StartingBench
Rookie
And1: 361

Post#66 » by StartingBench » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:04 pm

Great race in Montreal. I went nuts when Massa passed Alonso like he was a backmarker, too bad it ended the way it did for him.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by Nolan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:58 pm

I can't remember the last time i've seen a 5 car fight for first with 5 laps left. Insane race.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by Nolan » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:51 am

Well that was a shocking performance by Williams I guess we'll see if it carries over to the race today.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by Nolan » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:30 pm

Insane qualifying session at Silverstone. Neither Williams or Ferrari made it thought Q1.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by Nolan » Sun Jul 6, 2014 10:16 pm

Not a bad race overall. I enjoyed watching Alonso and Vettel battle and bitch at each other over the radio, Bottas was unstoppable and Kimi crash was crazy.

Right now it looks like Williams is the only team that can come close to matching Merc's pace.
StartingBench
Rookie
And1: 361

Post#71 » by StartingBench » Mon Jul 7, 2014 1:22 pm

That was my favourite race of the year so far. If only for the Vettel vs. Alonso battle.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Post#72 » by kdawg32086 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:46 am

Glad Vettel's not winning anything this season. It's pretty awesome thinking about the fact that Rosberg and Hamilton have finished 1-2 in every single race this season where both of their cars finished the race. Amazing stat.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#73 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Aug 6, 2014 4:02 pm

Nolan wrote:
Right now it looks like Williams is the only team that can come close to matching Merc's pace.

Way to jinx WIlliams!
ā€Image
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#74 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Aug 6, 2014 4:13 pm

Ah the summer break;
Time to wildly speculate as to which drivers are leaving their teams and where they are going!

As much as I love Kimi, I would imagine Ferrari will go young to replace him after the season.
Maybe Jules Bianchi? or some other place holder for a season to see if they can shake Vettel loose after his contract expires after 2015.

I think this is Jenson Button's last season with McLaren as there is speculation they will throw the world at Valtteri Bottas to get him on the team next season, and apparently Paul Di Resta has been openly campaigning for a spot as well to go along with rumors that he may become Mercedes test driver.

I would also imagine that Romain Grosjean is looking for a new home?
ā€Image
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Nolan » Wed Aug 6, 2014 4:59 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
Nolan wrote:

Way to jinx WIlliams!

:lol: no doubt.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Nolan » Wed Aug 6, 2014 5:04 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:Ah the summer break;
Time to wildly speculate as to which drivers are leaving their teams and where they are going!

As much as I love Kimi, I would imagine Ferrari will go young to replace him after the season.
Maybe Jules Bianchi? or some other place holder for a season to see if they can shake Vettel loose after his contract expires after 2015.

I think this is Jenson Button's last season with McLaren as there is speculation they will throw the world at Valtteri Bottas to get him on the team next season, and apparently Paul Di Resta has been openly campaigning for a spot as well to go along with rumors that he may become Mercedes test driver.

Agree with you on Kimi. He's definitely as done with them as they are with him.

As for McLaren I think they'll make a big push to get Alonso back and I think they could get him. He's got to be getting sick of driving an inferior car and if McLaren fixes their aero issuses they could easily compete with Merc and Red Bull.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#77 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Aug 6, 2014 5:12 pm

Nolan wrote:
Morris_Shatford wrote:Ah the summer break;

Agree with you on Kimi. He's definitely as done with them as they are with him.

As for McLaren I think they'll make a big push to get Alonso back and I think they could get him. He's got to be getting sick of driving an inferior car and if McLaren fixes their aero issuses they could easily compete with Merc and Red Bull.

It will be too bad;
I will miss Kimi's team radios.

I think that McLaren is going to be a tough draw unless they throw a ton of money around; (which is how I think they will score Bottas)

With them walking away from the vastly superior Mercedes Engine to go back to Honda next season really does cast a lot of doubt on exactly what sort of car you will be driving next season. You also have to keep in mind that Alonso incredibly important to Ferrari and I can't imagine they wouldn't do everything to retain him.

If Alonso left they would almost have to keep Kimi for a season as to not have two newbs in their car next season (Avoiding the Force India Model)
ā€Image
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Nolan » Wed Aug 6, 2014 5:34 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:It will be too bad;
I will miss Kimi's team radios.

I think that McLaren is going to be a tough draw unless they throw a ton of money around; (which is how I think they will score Bottas)

With them walking away from the vastly superior Mercedes Engine to go back to Honda next season really does cast a lot of doubt on exactly what sort of car you will be driving next season. You also have to keep in mind that Alonso incredibly important to Ferrari and I can't imagine they wouldn't do everything to retain him.

If Alonso left they would almost have to keep Kimi for a season as to not have two newbs in their car next season (Avoiding the Force India Model)

Everything but giving him a drivable car. If I were him i'd be pretty damn frustrated with them already, he's been driving the wheels off their junk for too long.

And given the past sucess the McLaren Honda partnership's had I think it's going to be a pretty attractive car for some drivers. But like you said ditching that superior Merc engine might not be the best idea right now.

I wonder what happens to Kimi though? Would he take a seat with a lesser team or does he just call it quits?
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#79 » by Morris_Shatford » Wed Aug 6, 2014 6:56 pm

Nolan wrote:Everything but giving him a drivable car. If I were him i'd be pretty damn frustrated with them already, he's been driving the wheels off their junk for too long.

And given the past sucess the McLaren Honda partnership's had I think it's going to be a pretty attractive car for some drivers. But like you said ditching that superior Merc engine might not be the best idea right now.

This off-season will be interesting;
Ferrari has made a lot of upper level changes, but if that makes a difference in the product is really the question.

I think of a seat opened at lets say Red Bull or Mercedes it would be a pretty appealing avenue for Alonso to show the skills he has in a car that is equal to those at the top of the field,

If McLaren truly was an option I suspect that he may wait it out to see how Honda's hybrid offering looks and jump after next season.

Nolan wrote:I wonder what happens to Kimi though? Would he take a seat with a lesser team or does he just call it quits?

He could easily walk away; he has talked about retiring after 2015 anyway.

Ferrari would be paying him (a TON of money) to clear he spot as he deal does run through the end of next season, but part of me thinks that his performance this season has more to do with his back then anyone would care to admit.

He has some great races left in him.

I don't think he would take a seat at Sauber (for the sake of argument) but if Bottas bolts to McLaren and Williams is willing to pony up on a one year? Maybe.
ā€Image
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by Nolan » Wed Aug 6, 2014 7:14 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
This off-season will be interesting;
Ferrari has made a lot of upper level changes, but if that makes a difference in the product is really the question.

I think of a seat opened at lets say Red Bull or Mercedes it would be a pretty appealing avenue for Alonso to show the skills he has in a car that is equal to those at the top of the field,

If McLaren truly was an option I suspect that he may wait it out to see how Honda's hybrid offering looks and jump after next season.

He could easily walk away; he has talked about retiring after 2015 anyway.

Ferrari would be paying him (a TON of money) to clear he spot as he deal does run through the end of next season, but part of me thinks that his performance this season has more to do with his back then anyone would care to admit.

He has some great races left in him.

I don't think he would take a seat at Sauber (for the sake of argument) but if Bottas bolts to McLaren and Williams is willing to pony up on a one year? Maybe.

Can't see a seat opening up at either of the big two. Ricardo's been too good, Vettel and Hammy both have a year left I believe and Nico just signed a long term extension.

Williams would make some sense for Kimi though. They're probably a step up from Ferrari right now and they could use a big name to boost sponsor interest.

Return to General Other Sports Talk