Davis Cup Thread

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Davis Cup Thread 

Post#1 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:12 am

USA up 2-0 on Switzerland after singles. Fish beat Wawrinka in 5 sets and Isner beat Federer in 4. :o

I know it's not a Grand Slam but the players usually give a pretty good effort in Davis Cup. That's an amazing win for Isner.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Re: Davis Cup Thread 

Post#2 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:08 am

Fish/M. Bryan defeated Federer/Wawrinka in 4 sets to give the USA a sweep. Pretty impressive win.
va-mos
Banned User
And1: 16

Post#3 » by va-mos » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:26 pm

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... 331ae29a85

Later, speaking in French to Swiss media, Federer appeared less gracious. He claimed not to be too disappointed while pointing a finger at Wawrinka, who slumped back in his chair looking every inch the junior partner in the relationship.

"I played well enough in doubles, but Stanislas not so much," Federer said, adding that Wawrinka "didn't have his best match in singles. It's a shame, because of that defeat (Wawrinka's loss to Fish) we weren't able to put the U.S under pressure."

singles:
Fish def. Wawrinka 6-2, 4-6, 4-6, 6-1, 9-7.
Isner def. Federer 4-6, 6-3, 7-6, 6-2.

doubles:
USA def. Switzerland 4-6, 6-3, 6-3, 6-3.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#4 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:41 pm

.....and that's why I've never loved Roger. For all this class in victory, he is a horrible loser. I can't believe he threw Wawrinka under the bus like that.
va-mos
Banned User

Post#5 » by va-mos » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:39 am

Turk Nowitzki wrote:.....and that's why I've never loved Roger. For all this class in victory, he is a horrible loser. I can't believe he threw Wawrinka under the bus like that.

The measure of a man.
Windmill
Senior
And1: 1

Post#6 » by Windmill » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:06 am

What he said about Wawrinka he said it in French. I'm not making excuses but from this youtube interview he said he learned French last out of all the languages. Maybe he is not as fluent?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E4QdBhilgs[/youtube]

Anyways if he did mean it I certainly lost a little bit of respect for him. I would call him a bad teammate for those comments before calling him a sore loser.

EDIT: Here is the link of him explaining how those comments were misinterpreted: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... ee7d8c.611

Adding insult to injury was the mis-translation of Federer's French remarks into English after he and Olympic gold-medal partner Stanislas were beaten in doubles.

While Federer said: "I played a good doubles, and Stan not a bad one," the remark was reported in English as Federer saying his partner played poorly.

But the Swiss said the matter has been put to rest along with any lingering memories. "It was a tough weekend for us, we were clearly not at our best at home," said the 30-year-old, who begins Rotterdam play as top seed on Wednesday night against Frenchman Nicolas Mahut.

"It was a disappointing result. But I had a day to recover on Sunday and that helped. The Stan comment was taken completely the wrong way.

"I'd never say that, and I'll move on quickly. I spoke with both (captain) Severin (Luthi) and Stan to make sure there is no misunderstanding."
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#7 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Apr 8, 2012 2:41 pm

USA USA USA!

Isner just beat Tsonga in 4 to clinch the victory against France.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#8 » by Turk Nowitzki » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:28 pm

USA vs. Spain in the Davis Cup semis starting tomorrow. Playing on the red clay in Spain so it's obviously going to be a difficult task. Querrey/Ferrer and Isner/Almagro tomorrow, gonna need a split there so the pressure's on Isner. Maybe we'll get lucky and Ferrer won't be fully recovered from the US Open.

And yes, I know nobody cares about Davis Cup but me. :P
Kaizen
Starter
And1: 22

Post#9 » by Kaizen » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:31 am

I care about the Davis Cup now that Canada has a consistent shot at staying in the world group. Was cheering hard for Spain and happy to see they are up 2-0 and will be up 2-1 going into Sunday after the Bryan brothers win tomorrow. Isner lost another tough one in 5 sets. Anybody know what his record is in 5 setters? Feels like he loses every one to me.
va-mos
Banned User

Post#10 » by va-mos » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:42 am

CZAR85 wrote:I care about the Davis Cup now that Canada has a consistent shot at staying in the world group. Was cheering hard for Spain and happy to see they are up 2-0 and will be up 2-1 going into Sunday after the Bryan brothers win tomorrow. Isner lost another tough one in 5 sets. Anybody know what his record is in 5 setters? Feels like he loses every one to me.

Isner beat Mahut at Wimbledon in 5 sets a few years ago in a match that lasted 11 hours.

This current tie is on clay, and although it isn't his favorite surface, Isner is the only man ever to push Nadal to 5 sets at Roland Garros.
Kaizen
Starter
And1: 22

Post#11 » by Kaizen » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:49 pm

The Federer match was 4 sets, the match against Nadal was a loss, and EVERYBODY knows about the match at Wimbledon.

Isner's record in 5 set matches is 4-9. He is 1-4 this year. I actually thought it would be worse.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#12 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:20 pm

Well, the Bryans just won the doubles match so we are now down 2-1. They really needed Isner to beat Almagro yesterday for them to have a good shot at winning this thing. I don't see them stealing both matches tomorrow unfortunately.
va-mos
Banned User

Post#13 » by va-mos » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:57 pm

Spain's got this semi (and the final) in the bag.

Return to General Other Sports Talk