AFL (Australian Rules) Football Thread

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

voodooguru
Bench Warmer
And1: 311

AFL (Australian Rules) Football Thread 

Post#1 » by voodooguru » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:43 am

AFL Football, aka Aussie Rules, MAY BE, after basketball, the second best sport in the world.

NBA and Rules, compared to NFL, Rugby and Soccer, are both high-scoring, athletic and fast. A large part of this comes down to neither of them having an off-side rule.

Both sports use the same range of of physical types. If Rules wasn't the major sport in a relatively small nation, there would be at least as many Australians in the NBA as there are Europeans from all of Europe. A couple years ago on the main Rules forum site here, there was a discussion on LeBron potentially being the greatest center half-forward of all time - if he had grown up in Australia.

The AFL has been running recruitment camps in the USA for ex-college basketball big men for a few years now. A couple have made it to the top level, but I'll post videos of them in a later post.

Nobody will be reading this, so, you know, that's all the time I have tonight yo. Here's some Rules action :

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMZYZcoAcU0[/youtube]
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Re: AFL (Australian Rules) Football Thread 

Post#2 » by Dupp » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:11 pm

voodooguru wrote:AFL Football, aka Aussie Rules, MAY BE, after basketball, the second best sport in the world.

NBA and Rules, compared to NFL, Rugby and Soccer, are both high-scoring, athletic and fast. A large part of this comes down to neither of them having an off-side rule.

Both sports use the same range of of physical types. If Rules wasn't the major sport in a relatively small nation, there would be at least as many Australians in the NBA as there are Europeans from all of Europe. A couple years ago on the main Rules forum site here, there was a discussion on LeBron potentially being the greatest center half-forward of all time - if he had grown up in Australia.

The AFL has been running recruitment camps in the USA for ex-college basketball big men for a few years now. A couple have made it to the top level, but I'll post videos of them in a later post.

Nobody will be reading this, so, you know, that's all the time I have tonight yo. Here's some Rules action :

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMZYZcoAcU0[/youtube]

goat game.

some discussion here if you want - viewtopic.php?f=358&t=1347695&start=760
voodooguru
Bench Warmer
And1: 311

Re: AFL (Australian Rules) Football Thread 

Post#3 » by voodooguru » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:01 pm

Thanks.

Return to General Other Sports Talk