OT: World 1 tennis player Ash Barty retires aged 25

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,849

Re: OT: World 1 tennis player Ash Barty retires aged 25 

Post#41 » by life_saver » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:51 pm

Apz wrote:Never heard the name tbh. But not surprised. Feels like tennis and swimming is thd sports that girls get into superstars really early , like 13-15, and retire early. And tennis is very hard on the body

what you said is completely false for tennis. Prime age for female tennis players is 22-28. Back in 80's, 90's, some special prodigies used to compete at top when they were 14, 15 years old (which was still rare) but that's not even possible these days as rules were changed and players cannot even turn pro until they are 15. It's also very rare for a player younger than 19 to win a slam these days. It has only happened once in last 17 years and that was at last year's US Open which was still one of the biggest fairy tale stories I have seen in sports in recent times
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#42 » by johanliebert » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:46 pm

life_saver wrote:
Apz wrote:Never heard the name tbh. But not surprised. Feels like tennis and swimming is thd sports that girls get into superstars really early , like 13-15, and retire early. And tennis is very hard on the body

what you said is completely false for tennis. Prime age for female tennis players is 22-28. Back in 80's, 90's, some special prodigies used to compete at top when they were 14, 15 years old (which was still rare) but that's not even possible these days as rules were changed and players cannot even turn pro until they are 15. It's also very rare for a player younger than 19 to win a slam these days. It has only happened once in last 17 years and that was at last year's US Open which was still one of the biggest fairy tale stories I have seen in sports in recent times

Nah he’s right most wta players peak early and tail off in their mid to late 20’s. Didn’t raducanu and Swiatek win grand slams last year? Both were 18.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,849

Post#43 » by life_saver » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:01 pm

johanliebert wrote:
life_saver wrote:

Nah he’s right most wta players peak early and tail off in their mid to late 20’s. Didn’t raducanu and Swiatek win grand slams last year? Both were 18.

the dude said 13-15 lol. Swiatek was 19 when she won RG. Raducanu is the only 18 year old to win a slam in last 17 years. Between 2007-2019, not even a single teenager won a slam. It was only in last 2-3 years again where we saw some teenagers winning slams and it's been a transitional period with Serena finally close to being done.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#44 » by Cavsfansince84 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:03 pm

hauntedcomputer wrote:Who among us wouldn't retire wealthy at 25 if we could?

Oh, realgmers who once aced at Pong, that's who.

You say that but look at how many keep going until 35 or when the wheels fall off. I don't think anyone has criticized her for deciding to retire at 25. Some simply enjoy the grind and competitive aspects more than others.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#45 » by John Murdoch » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:09 pm

She will pull a Brady, retire for 30 days just to feel relevant again
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,863

Post#46 » by BK_2020 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:42 pm

Henin and Clijsters did the same thing only to come back. Pretty common in tennis which is a truly grueling globetrotting tour.
Walton the GOAT
Sophomore
And1: 261

Post#47 » by Walton the GOAT » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:58 pm

Good. Take your millions and live a comfortable life before your body breaks down from absurd physical demand of professional sports.
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 20,901

Post#48 » by AussieCeltic » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:01 pm

dlts20 wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
dlts20 wrote:Dude that isn't no green font. You can say that barty is better but don't act like he asked a crazy question. Osaka has also been #1, has more grand slams, and has beaten her h2h multiple times. Osaka is just wayyyyyy too sensitive. She was crying all last week and lost a match just because a fan yelled "you suck"

You literally posted earlier in this thread saying you didn’t even know who Ash Barty was or followed woman’s tennis so why would anyone listen to what you have to say on this topic?

I also said that I followed tennis, especially women's tennis before that. It's not hard at all to research things. Do you disagree or did you just come to cry over a fellow Aussie. What did I say that is disputable

But you clearly don’t if you don’t know who the number 1 in the world is. It’s not like she’s just come onto the scene, she’s been number 1 for 2 years.

That’s like saying you follow the NBA but don’t know who Giannis is. So bizarre
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#49 » by dlts20 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:44 pm

AussieCeltic wrote:
dlts20 wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
You literally posted earlier in this thread saying you didn’t even know who Ash Barty was or followed woman’s tennis so why would anyone listen to what you have to say on this topic?

I also said that I followed tennis, especially women's tennis before that. It's not hard at all to research things. Do you disagree or did you just come to cry over a fellow Aussie. What did I say that is disputable

But you clearly don’t if you don’t know who the number 1 in the world is. It’s not like she’s just come onto the scene, she’s been number 1 for 2 years.

I said followed, with an ed at the end. I made it clear that I haven't recently, probably since Serena stopped being serious but I used to be a huge fan and knew of pretty much everyone on tour. It's like I used to be a big ncaab fan but now I could only name a couple of players.

I just don't have the attention span to watch anymore, even for the NFL and NBA games unless my Washington teams are good but I watch enough to know who is doing everything in the sport. I've probably literally also watched more women's bball, both college and pro than anyone on this site but I don't know anything about whose who in the last amount of years but it doesn't take away my knowledge of the game.

I was probably the biggest boxing fan on this site, always around the Mayweathers, in the gym with Roy Jones, stars in my contacts, going to fights with ESPN analysts, a licensed professional fight judge, then I had a altercation with the commissioner and stopped watching most of it for a good period. I've recently gotten back into it over the past 18 months but no one is going to tell me that they know more. I literally just made my daughter an MMA champion.

Idc either way. Ijs that I checked the numbers for barty and Osaka, saw like 3 matches from them on yt where Osaka won them all even when barty was number 1. I'm still always going to do my research
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,670

Post#50 » by LordCovington33 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:05 am

dlts20 wrote:
AussieCeltic wrote:
dlts20 wrote:I also said that I followed tennis, especially women's tennis before that. It's not hard at all to research things. Do you disagree or did you just come to cry over a fellow Aussie. What did I say that is disputable

I said followed, with an ed at the end. I made it clear that I haven't recently, probably since Serena stopped being serious but I used to be a huge fan and knew of pretty much everyone on tour. It's like I used to be a big ncaab fan but now I could only name a couple of players.

I just don't have the attention span to watch anymore, even for the NFL and NBA games unless my Washington teams are good but I watch enough to know who is doing everything in the sport. I've probably literally also watched more women's bball, both college and pro than anyone on this site but I don't know anything about whose who in the last amount of years but it doesn't take away my knowledge of the game.

I was probably the biggest boxing fan on this site, always around the Mayweathers, in the gym with Roy Jones, stars in my contacts, going to fights with ESPN analysts, a licensed professional fight judge, then I had a altercation with the commissioner and stopped watching most of it for a good period. I've recently gotten back into it over the past 18 months but no one is going to tell me that they know more. I literally just made my daughter an MMA champion.

Idc either way. Ijs that I checked the numbers for barty and Osaka, saw like 3 matches from them on yt where Osaka won them all even when barty was number 1. I'm still always going to do my research

Don’t they have a 2-2 head to head?

Edit:
Just checked:
https://www.stevegtennis.com/head-to-head/women/Naomi_Osaka/Ashleigh_Barty/

Yes, 2-2

And they have played ONLY once since she because number 1 in 2019. 1 match in 2014, 2 in 2018 and 1 in 2019.
And that was from 2 minutes of research ;)

Return to General Other Sports Talk