10 Greatest Players of All Time (Men & Women) - 2008

A place to talk about sports that are not covered by other forums and the gateway to other sports getting their own forums.

Moderators: Doctor MJ, kdawg32086

oberyn3
Sophomore
And1: 8

Re: 10 Greatest Players of All Time (Men & Women) - 2008 

Post#21 » by oberyn3 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:48 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
evhershman95 wrote:I think John macenroe had a better game than Roger Federer
Idk about his temper tho

Eh, if you want to give McEnroe the all-time nod on peak, I think you've got a good case. McEnroe's '84 was amazing. Career-wise though, McEnroe is pretty far down the list though.

The persuasive arguments I've encountered for McEnroe is that his peak was amazing, he was also the best doubles player in the world, and he was a Davis Cup hero. I'm not 100% persuaded by these arguments, but if someone tells me he'd put McEnroe's career over a couple of guys with more majors, I wouldn't call that person crazy. Particularly when one takes into account how few times McEnroe played the Australian Open during his peak. He played it in 1983, skipped it in his best season in 1984, played it again in 1985 and didn't come back until 1989 when he really was just a shell of himself.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,700

Post#22 » by Doctor MJ » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:37 pm

oberyn3 wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
evhershman95 wrote:I think John macenroe had a better game than Roger Federer
Idk about his temper tho

Eh, if you want to give McEnroe the all-time nod on peak, I think you've got a good case. McEnroe's '84 was amazing. Career-wise though, McEnroe is pretty far down the list though.

The persuasive arguments I've encountered for McEnroe is that his peak was amazing, he was also the best doubles player in the world, and he was a Davis Cup hero. I'm not 100% persuaded by these arguments, but if someone tells me he'd put McEnroe's career over a couple of guys with more majors, I wouldn't call that person crazy. Particularly when one takes into account how few times McEnroe played the Australian Open during his peak. He played it in 1983, skipped it in his best season in 1984, played it again in 1985 and didn't come back until 1989 when he really was just a shell of himself.

How one factors in doubles & Davis Cup is up to them. Personally, I don't use them at all in these type of lists - and I say this as someone who absolutely loves doubles. The bottom line is that these other things aren't taken that seriously by a lot of players - and that's only the case because the tennis establishment has signaled to them that these things don't matter that much. To me holding lack of success in those fronts against players is a bit like knocking a basketball players because he never won a title in the Euro league.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
KING JAMES1978
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#23 » by KING JAMES1978 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:36 pm

1.Roger Federer=GOAT

2.Pete Sampras
3.Bjorn Borg
4.Rod Laver
5.Rafael Nadal
6.Andre Agassi
7.Pancho Gonzalez
8.John McEnroe
9.Ivan Lendl
10.Bill Tilden
KING JAMES1978
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by KING JAMES1978 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:02 pm

When Roger made this drop-shot he had 3 Grand Slam.But his Greatness made people like the commentators to think"That's why you look at a guy like this and you say to yourself: This could be the greatest player that ever lived."-2004
Now he has 16 Grand Slam but even before 7-8 years many people believe that he was the Greatest ever because of his unreal game.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cUUyyxtw-4[/youtube]
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,700

Post#25 » by Doctor MJ » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:08 am

KING JAMES1978 wrote:When Roger made this drop-shot he had 3 Grand Slam.But his Greatness made people like the commentators to think"That's why you look at a guy like this and you say to yourself: This could be the greatest player that ever lived."-2004
Now he has 16 Grand Slam but even before 7-8 years many people believe that he was the Greatest ever because of his unreal game.

It's funny. I remember arguing with people here on the old all encompassing Off Topic board back when Fed only had 4 or 5 majors. People arguing he was just the next Hewitt. It was clear though. I mean, when Hewitt was #1, the grand slam coverage team just yawned and damned him with faint praise. Amazing when you've a got a 20 year old player who is best in the world, and the consensus is "He's #1 until someone good shows up." Then Fed comes along, and almost immediately the response is gushing. I remember my then girlfriend (now wife) saying about the broadcast team, "My god, they all want to f**k him." and I had to swear to him that they weren't always like that.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
KING JAMES1978
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by KING JAMES1978 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:02 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
It's funny. I remember arguing with people here on the old all encompassing Off Topic board back when Fed only had 4 or 5 majors. People arguing he was just the next Hewitt. It was clear though. I mean, when Hewitt was #1, the grand slam coverage team just yawned and damned him with faint praise. Amazing when you've a got a 20 year old player who is best in the world, and the consensus is "He's #1 until someone good shows up." Then Fed comes along, and almost immediately the response is gushing. I remember my then girlfriend (now wife) saying about the broadcast team, "My god, they all want to f**k him." and I had to swear to him that they weren't always like that.

People in Tennis give a lot of attention at Grand Slam(how many you have).But at the end of the day you have to think who is better at what.
Some people believe Nadal has a chance to be the Greatest player ever.Sorry but in my eyes he will never be Greater than Federer and Sampras even if he win more Grand Slam than them.Federer & Sampras at technique are untouchable(especially Roger).Even Borg wasn't at this level as about the technique.
Nadal isn't so fun to watch like Roger.Not even close in my eyes.I prefer to watch even Murray than Nadal.
And Lol at them"people arguing he was just the next Hewitt. It was clear though. I mean, when Hewitt was #1, .Roger's talent was one of a kind.
When I watched that game between him and Sampras at 2000 Wimbledon if I remember well I said to myself "This kid is scary good.He is perhaps the Next Sampras".And Sampras at that point considered by many as the Greatest ever.At 2009 Sampras "Federer is the Greatest player ever"- Pete Sampras
“Roger is just the greatest player of all time,He is the most beautiful player I’ve ever seen and I don’t ever get tired of watching him."-John McEnroe

You can't say if you know about Tennis that he is the next Hewitt because talents are different.And Roger's talent at technique is untouchable.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,263

Post#27 » by UGA Hayes » Wed Feb 9, 2011 3:19 pm

To this day I still think Seles would have ended up challenging Evert/Navitrilova. Just one of the most mentally tough players in sports period, especially considering how obnoxious the press/fans were toward her at the time.

Return to General Other Sports Talk