Grizzlies Ownership at Crossroads

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Grizzlies Ownership at Crossroads 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Sat Sep 9, 2017 4:48 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/brooklyn-nets-memphis-grizzlies-meeting-ownership-crossroads-155157211.html

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/9/7/16269342/memphis-grizzlies-ownership

With Robert Pera being an absent-tee owner and the underlying tension with the minority owners it sounds like a mess that needs to come to a resolution. Who will stand out on top will be the question.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Grizzlies Ownership at Crossroads 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:58 am

Should be an interesting ordeal
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#3 » by dark-child » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:54 pm

Pera is proving to be the worst owner, simply because when he is engaged his thoughts and ideas are laughable but when he is not engaged the individuals making the basketball decisions are incompetent or not innovative enough to change when plan A or B doesn't work. We should all be ready for him to move on. No one has seen him in town all of last season so maybe he has already checked out and is ready to be bought out.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#4 » by SD2042 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:41 pm

I've never came across a NBA absentee owner like Pera. He struggled to get the franchise in the first place. I wonder did he think his initial thoughts were going to match up to his dreams in reality? My guess is that it may not have turned out to be the case. As an owner of a franchise, one must be committed. Regardless if you leave your subordinates in charge. At least show that you are hands on with your franchise. Pera hasn't showned that so much during his tenure at the helm. With issues stemming between him and the others on the board, this will likely brew some storms amongst the group. The Grizzlies look like they will be going into dire straits soon and are currently looking like an identity crisis as well. All these ingredients have the makings of becoming a train wreck.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#5 » by VCfor3 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:25 pm

I think there is a chance Gasol an Conley could get moved purely because Pera may not be leading the team in a few weeks and the new management may want to start over from scratch. This is especially true if we struggle and Parsons again looks like he will be a very expensive non-factor. Otherwise the new owners will spend the next five years watching their new purchase slowly go through a trash compactor.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#6 » by SD2042 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:20 pm

VCfor3 wrote:I think there is a chance Gasol an Conley could get moved purely because Pera may not be leading the team in a few weeks and the new management may want to start over from scratch. This is especially true if we struggle and Parsons again looks like he will be a very expensive non-factor. Otherwise the new owners will spend the next five years watching their new purchase slowly go through a trash compactor.

In all honesty, I feel like the franchise has been irresponsible for quite a while. Between the botched picks, investing in players with histories of injuries, being too content rather than gradually progress to better compete with the rest of the league, and a GM who has done questionable moves, it begs the question: How close are we as a franchise as we prepare to hit the rock bottom of the waterfall?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#7 » by VCfor3 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:26 pm

SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I think there is a chance Gasol an Conley could get moved purely because Pera may not be leading the team in a few weeks and the new management may want to start over from scratch. This is especially true if we struggle and Parsons again looks like he will be a very expensive non-factor. Otherwise the new owners will spend the next five years watching their new purchase slowly go through a trash compactor.

In all honesty, I feel like the franchise has been irresponsible for quite a while. Between the botched picks, investing in players with histories of injuries, being too content rather than gradually progress to better compete with the rest of the league, and a GM who has done questionable moves, it begs the question: How close are we as a franchise as we prepare to hit the rock bottom of the waterfall?

I agree. Outside of decent coaching and a couple ok trades we have made a lot of questionable decisions. And Unfortunately our draft record doesn't bode well for building through the draft so the rebuild may be long and miserable.
I Am Awesome-O
Rookie
And1: 544

Post#8 » by I Am Awesome-O » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:19 pm

I hope Kaplan and Straus take over and oust the incumbent front office. There is absolutely no excuse for Chris Wallace still being our GM. I'm so sick of absentee owners who couldn't care less about this franchise.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#9 » by SD2042 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:29 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

I agree. Outside of decent coaching and a couple ok trades we have made a lot of questionable decisions. And Unfortunately our draft record doesn't bode well for building through the draft so the rebuild may be long and miserable.

I can speak on the long part. As a fan of the Magic as well as the Grizzlies, the team's rebuild has been long and ugly to where the GM was let go in May. The blame goes to the Magic upper management as they hurried the process knowing full well they were no where near the team best assembled to compete against the league's best teams. The Philadelphia 76ers are well ahead of them and look at all the hell they went through to get to this point.
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#10 » by dark-child » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:01 pm

The last straw for the former Magic GM was when it was revealed he actually had Chandler Parsons on his board for potential acquisitions for the summer. Really young guy but WAS grasping at straws.
Philly has a lot of hope right now and that can get people excited but health is still an issue for them.
Memphis as a city, where entertainment dollars are hard to come by, the Grizzlies can not afford to rebuild because that gets really ugly really fast and the citizens already have a lot of angst regarding their self image, so anything perceived as second rate or not a winner will not fly. You can't break it down to the studs in this city like in Boston, LA, or Philly. Those cities have so much good will and a Championship pedigree to fall back on that the fan base is not going anywhere. Memphis is a basketball town and while the Memphis Tigers are horrible, the Grizzlies have seen their attendance far exceed the college team. They are forced to keep it going for as long as they can. JUST MAKE BETTER DECISIONS.
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#11 » by HoopsMalone » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:29 pm

Team is in a tight spot. The relocation pressures are mounting across the league and it's becoming more and more clear the small market teams can't compete under the realities of the new cap dynamics.

They all went ballistic with these crazy free agent signings and now they're all stuck with very few teams looking to add to payroll.

I think you'll see quite a few teams looking to move guys like Gasol because teams like Dallas wouldn't think twice about adding him whereas a team taking on parsons is a pipe dream

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#12 » by SD2042 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:54 am

dark-child wrote:The last straw for the former Magic GM was when it was revealed he actually had Chandler Parsons on his board for potential acquisitions for the summer. Really young guy but WAS grasping at straws.
Philly has a lot of hope right now and that can get people excited but health is still an issue for them.
Memphis as a city, where entertainment dollars are hard to come by, the Grizzlies can not afford to rebuild because that gets really ugly really fast and the citizens already have a lot of angst regarding their self image, so anything perceived as second rate or not a winner will not fly. You can't break it down to the studs in this city like in Boston, LA, or Philly. Those cities have so much good will and a Championship pedigree to fall back on that the fan base is not going anywhere. Memphis is a basketball town and while the Memphis Tigers are horrible, the Grizzlies have seen their attendance far exceed the college team. They are forced to keep it going for as long as they can. JUST MAKE BETTER DECISIONS.

Good points about the Grizzlies market and how entrenched of a basketball city it always has been. This city has shown it can be quick to criticism if things don't go according to the plan. The Grizzlies like you said, lack championship pedigree and as such do not attract top quality free agents. The team would literally have to bribe players to play for the city. The city itself lacks a lot of attractions and activities for the citizens to get into on the daily basis. Lack of fundamental thinking and lack of finances create these issues and have done so for years. Back to the team, like you said, better decisions must be made. The brain trust behind the Grizzlies must be wise to pinpoint areas of attack for the team to continue to improve their status for the better. I suspect this season will be a potential rough one for the organization.
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#13 » by HoopsMalone » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:15 am

I can't wait to see what the franchise sells for this month.

Who do you think will end up owning them?

I think Pera will take the $$$. His company is fledgling

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app

Return to Memphis Grizzlies