Offseason Discussion

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#121 » by VCfor3 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Whole Truth wrote:I've had Memphis trading in to this draft @ 1 or 2 thinking Onyeka would be gone top 5. Recent report claims Deni impressed the Warriors to where they might take him as high as 2, if not in a trade down to 4 with the Bulls.

Potential top 4 of this draft - Edwards, Deni, Wiseman, Ball, with Cavs reported to like Toppin & Detroit making their pick available...

I'm thinking Memphis could trade in at 6 & have either Onyeka or Vassell to choose from where Detroit reportedly want a more proven young asset, maybe some cap relief & or multiple assets.

Memphis S&T Josh or Melton with the GS 24 top4 pick to Detroit for #6 & a dead weight filler.

Memphis could beef up the trade package by adding one of Winslow or Anderson, maybe even Deing's expiring to take on more dead weight salary?..

Would Memphis consider taking on Blake's 2yrs 36m for the 6th pick, assuming he'd pick up his player option in 22 ?.

Memphis trade - (Dieng 17m 1yr, Winslow 15m 1yr + 15m PO, Melton S&T) for (Blake 36n 1yr + PO, #6)

Assuming there's no way Blake declines his PO in 22. Memphis are buying the 6th pick for 18-20m savings roughly. Where If Injured, Memphis could use player insurance to cover his financial hit.

Detroit get a young wing, 2 defensive wings & can decline Winslow to save 38m in 2022 for the 6th pick, Memphis keep their future FRP's for taking on a large contract but short 2yr financial hit.. It may be a financial overpay for the 6th pick but I believe in short term sacrifice for long term gain.

I don't know if Detroit would be willing to use #6 like that. They seem like a team that needs high picks and to swing for the fences in order to find a guy to rebuild around.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,688

Post#122 » by Whole Truth » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:43 pm

VCfor3 wrote:I don't know if Detroit would be willing to use #6 like that. They seem like a team that needs high picks and to swing for the fences in order to find a guy to rebuild around.

IMO, it's unlikely they will find a player to build around at 7 in this draft. The 2 players I have Memphis trading in for at 7, Onyeka or VassellI, I have projected as high end role players who I think would be good roster fits for Memphis, with risk attachment, high floors & lower ceilings. I think Detroit probably sees it similar, which is why they're rumored to be open to moving the pick with the intent to eliminate the risk of the unknown while potentially adding additional value, targeting either a proven player or sophomore with some track record in trade..

Sources indicated the Pistons have made it known they're open to trading the No. 7 pick. Their best shot at a deal may be with a team willing to give up an established player, a rookie or sophomore with untapped potential.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2909042-2020-nba-mock-draft-how-trades-could-change-lamelo-balls-future

Besides the large expiring value I have in trade to save Pistons significant money in this covid financial environment (I don't know how strapped their team might be financially which could hold significant value to them, IDK). To their sourced rumor, I also offered up an established 2way player in Winslow where his health situation is not unlike but better than Blakes on a more palatable controlled cost & the 2 way "sophomore" Melton for some untapped potential, for a player earning 70m over 2 seasons who might not even play in order to net the 7th pick in a weak draft. They're getting financial, player value & some control over their situation with a team option on Winslow where Blake is a PO.. for what I have projected as high end role player prospect.

I believe I have Memphis losing value in this trade but it's with a specific long term goal/benefit in mind in order to hold onto the FRP's. I probably don't make this suggestion if I thought Winslow could be a long term fit. (Health & free agency taken into account). Vassell over Winslow or Melton potentially improves spacing without losing the defensive potential, adding long term control, improved health to the situation & of course I've explained my interest in adding Onyeka to 3J/Ja over the last 5 pages if he's the one to fall.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,677

Post#123 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:31 am

Read on Twitter
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#124 » by Whole Truth » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:57 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

1, I'm not apposed to trading Anderson but not for the reasons given in this article. As Vic would attest, I was vocal about his fit in the rotation because he was reluctant & slow to shoot the 3 ball, even when open, which killed the spacing with the starters. Then Covid hit & in that short period of time, Anderson returned to the bubble shooting the 3 ball better & with a noticeably quicker release to boot showing big improvement, great work ethic & commitment. I'm not a fan of not taking into account that considerable progression & adjustment in his game. Where trades are concerned, anyone could be had for the right price, I don't see Anderson as a trade priority.

What happens if Winslow can't stay healthy, which is an uncertainty for Memphis ? Anderson filled that responsibility & made considerable adjustments/improvements to adequately do it.

2, I'm all about trading into or up in this draft. It's an aggressive & progressive move. Proactive

3, Resign Melton & Josh, they're young, they're potential assets, which is currency. Wasn't a fan of Memphis dropping Josh's option. He could have been a potential trade piece right now to a team like Detroit or Knick's who are starved for young talent.

4, Agree totally with not trying to rush things, stated as much 2 pages back when talking about what happened with Colangelo when he came into the Raptors organization & won 47 games in yr 1. It was all down hill from there after he abandoned the rebuild process early for win now moves. A young core has to prove itself, show the consistent ability to win beyond a solid run. 2021 Memphis add their future wing to the core & solidify the foundation to start building on. By 2022 Memphis will know exactly what 3J & Ja will be & need moving forward, where Colangelo was starting to find out Bargnani was not the #1 pick he believed him to be. As of now, Memphis don't even know if 3J can be their long term C outside of projection.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#125 » by E S V L » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:15 pm

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/scottie-lewis/

On the 2021 draft, we should target Scottie Lewis or someone similar.

Regarding the ideas around Blake and Wiggins, my fan’s nature wants me to consider them seriously, whereas my cold blood analysis is telling me not to go to this cruise. We should concentrate on the internal development.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#126 » by E S V L » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:20 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

1, I'm not apposed to trading Anderson but not for the reasons given in this article. As Vic would attest, I was vocal about his fit in the rotation because he was reluctant & slow to shoot the 3 ball, even when open, which killed the spacing with the starters. Then Covid hit & in that short period of time, Anderson returned to the bubble shooting the 3 ball better & with a noticeably quicker release to boot showing big improvement, great work ethic & commitment. I'm not a fan of not taking into account that considerable progression & adjustment in his game. Where trades are concerned, anyone could be had for the right price, I don't see Anderson as a trade priority.

What happens if Winslow can't stay healthy, which is an uncertainty for Memphis ? Anderson filled that responsibility & made considerable adjustments/improvements to adequately do it.

2, I'm all about trading into or up in this draft. It's an aggressive & progressive move. Proactive

3, Resign Melton & Josh, they're young, they're potential assets, which is currency. Wasn't a fan of Memphis dropping Josh's option. He could have been a potential trade piece right now to a team like Detroit or Knick's who are starved for young talent.

4, Agree totally with not trying to rush things, stated as much 2 pages back when talking about what happened with Colangelo when he came into the Raptors organization & won 47 games in yr 1. It was all down hill from there after he abandoned the rebuild process early for win now moves. A young core has to prove itself, show the consistent ability to win beyond a solid run. 2021 Memphis add their future wing to the core & solidify the foundation to start building on. By 2022 Memphis will know exactly what 3J & Ja will be & need moving forward, where Colangelo was starting to find out Bargnani was not the #1 pick he believed him to be. As of now, Memphis don't even know if 3J can be their long term C outside of projection.

I am fully aligned on the Anderson point; still don’t see Josh in Memphis. Aside from my serious doubts in his ability to overcome his low IQ, we don’t have a game time for his proper development.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#127 » by VCfor3 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:42 pm

E S V L wrote:https://nbadraftroom.com/p/scottie-lewis/

Regarding the ideas around Blake and Wiggins, my fan’s nature wants me to consider them seriously, whereas my cold blood analysis is telling me not to go to this cruise. We should concentrate on the internal development.

I like him too. I haven't put much work into looking at 2021 players, but skimming I've seen a few wings that would be great (though fingers crossed for lottery luck and to land Cade!). If Utah trades Gobert I could see them missing out on the playoffs. A late lottery pick from them plus probably another late lottery pick from us could maybe be enough to move up and grab someone like Lewis.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#128 » by E S V L » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:51 pm

VCfor3 wrote:to move up and grab someone like Lewis.

As far as I am concerned, the 2021 draft is so deep and full of wings that Scottie is projected to be a late first round pick, so I believe we can grab him with our own pick similar to what we did to Clarke.

Yes, I concur with your expectation that at least one of the GSW and Utah picks might easily end up a lottery one.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#129 » by Whole Truth » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:52 pm

E S V L wrote:https://nbadraftroom.com/p/scottie-lewis/

Lewis is an interesting target but my draft philosophy changes from the top half to the bottom half.. I target potential over high floor at the top half of the draft looking for that game changer but look more at need & clear skill sets, higher floors (23yo Clarke) at the end of the draft, where I wouldn't have taken Clarke top 10 even knowing what we know now. So with Memphis having spacing issues, I'd target a shooting skillset, on a player who's preferably not a liability defensively. There's a few of those targets in this IMO weak but deep draft to sort out.

My suggestions to trade for either Wiggins or Blake, is a means to an end. I expect nothing from either player where anything given by them, is viewed as + value.

Forget the names & their games, watch the trade like this, in Blakes case - 2yrs 70m for 8yrs rookie scale & control of the 7th pick building block. How much long term money would having someone like Vassell on rookie scale save over 4yrs more less 8 to recoup that short term expense which is somewhat offset by the salaries heading out ?.

If Blake were able to contribute anything on court , that's + value. Where Memphis could then hold the option to flip him at the trade deadline to a contender if he's healthy & playing well best case ... A Chris Paul situation where a team contending might take that risk with only a year remaining or half year if Memphis have to wait out a year due to injury & recovery or just choosing to intentionally sit him under cover of his injury for the 21 draft & claim player insurance ... Give him a year to work on getting healthy in order to flip his value in 22 at the deadline with little financial risk attached by then.

Personally, I'd prefer to trade for Blake & 7 over Wiggins & #2 even with his injury & higher salary because of the fact he's shorter term, 2yrs apposed to Wiggins 3yrs. This, not even factoring he's also has potentially the better court value if he's able to play/stay healthy. A fact I'm not counting on in short term financial sacrifice for the pick & future. Of course that distinction of preference is based on where the draft targets can potentially fall & the reason I'm only now suggesting Blake in the wake of the news GS like Deni at either 2 or traded down at 4.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#130 » by Whole Truth » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:56 pm

E S V L wrote:
I am fully aligned on the Anderson point; still don’t see Josh in Memphis. Aside from my serious doubts in his ability to overcome his low IQ, we don’t have a game time for his proper development.

I was not talking about Josh's future, I'm talking about asset retention. If Memphis did not drop his option after somewhat repairing his value, a team like Detroit who are looking for young players with potential which Josh does have in spades. Memphis could have put his 6m in trade with additional value for the 7th..
E S V L
Analyst

Post#131 » by E S V L » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:16 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:

I was not talking about Josh's future, I'm talking about asset retention. If Memphis did not drop his option after somewhat repairing his value, a team like Detroit who are looking for young players with potential which Josh does have in spades. Memphis could have put his 6m in trade with additional value for the 7th..

Currently, Josh is the same type of asset as Guduric. I am not sure we should use the term “asset” here.

Memphis did the right thing when declined his option. I like Josh a lot, but his IQ is ridiculously low and irreparable.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#132 » by E S V L » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:23 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Personally, I'd prefer to trade for Blake & 7 over Wiggins & #2 even with his injury & higher salary because of the fact he's shorter term, 2yrs apposed to Wiggins 3yrs. This, not even factoring he's also has potentially the better court value if he's able to play/stay healthy. A fact I'm not counting on in short term financial sacrifice for the pick & future. Of course that distinction of preference is based on where the draft targets can potentially fall & the reason I'm only now suggesting Blake in the wake of the news GS like Deni at either 2 or traded down at 4.

Let me cautiously say yes to Blake’s trade, though Detroit would be idiots if they agree to it.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#133 » by Whole Truth » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:26 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:

Currently, Josh is the same type of asset as Guduric. I am not sure we should use the term “asset” here.

Memphis did the right thing when declined his option. I like Josh a lot, but his IQ is ridiculously low and irreparable.

Your comparison is hopefully a little hyperbole.

Detrout is looking for untapped potential & while Josh's value might still be relatively low as you suggest, they could value his unknown potential differently. something you can't relate to Guduric.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#134 » by E S V L » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:29 am

Josh Jackson and your guy Pat Williams are both mediocre at very best, I am sorry
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#135 » by VCfor3 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:06 am

I think Pat could be decent, but yeah no one is trading for Josh hoping for him to be some hidden gem at this point. Someone will sign him for relatively cheap with a team option on the last year of the deal this summer. Maybe you get swap rights on a future 2nd round pick if you S&T Josh to Portland for Hood if they want to use their full MLE on someone else. Otherwise I don't think we can get anything for him without taking on long term money and Josh's value would be purely as cap savings and not his potential.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#136 » by Whole Truth » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:30 pm

VCfor3 wrote:I think Pat could be decent, but yeah no one is trading for Josh hoping for him to be some hidden gem at this point. Someone will sign him for relatively cheap with a team option on the last year of the deal this summer. Maybe you get swap rights on a future 2nd round pick if you S&T Josh to Portland for Hood if they want to use their full MLE on someone else. Otherwise I don't think we can get anything for him without taking on long term money and Josh's value would be purely as cap savings and not his potential.

On a seep Florida team, Pat won ACC 6th man of the year averaging 9.2 pts, 4 boards as a 18yo & the youngest player in the 2020 draft. He hasn't played an NBA minute to earn the tag of being mediocre at best.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#137 » by VCfor3 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:01 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I think Pat could be decent, but yeah no one is trading for Josh hoping for him to be some hidden gem at this point. Someone will sign him for relatively cheap with a team option on the last year of the deal this summer. Maybe you get swap rights on a future 2nd round pick if you S&T Josh to Portland for Hood if they want to use their full MLE on someone else. Otherwise I don't think we can get anything for him without taking on long term money and Josh's value would be purely as cap savings and not his potential.

On a seep Florida team, Pat won ACC 6th man of the year averaging 9.2 pts, 4 boards as a 18yo & the youngest player in the 2020 draft. He hasn't played an NBA minute to earn the tag of being mediocre at best.

I didn't mean that as a knock on Pat. I like him and think he is a guy who can outperform his draft spot. I was mainly just talking about Josh and how I don't see us getting much value for him in a potential deal.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#138 » by E S V L » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:10 pm

Whole Truth wrote:

I didn’t know about 9.2 pts. It would certainly change my mind. What is his NBA position?
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#139 » by Whole Truth » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:40 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

I didn’t know about 9.2 pts. It would certainly change my mind. What is his NBA position?

I have him at SF/PF. (Waiting for the combine agility tests). He's 6'8 with a 7' wing span, has a strong motor & wide skillset.

Pat averaged - 9.2 pts / 4 rbs / 1 ast / 1 stl / 1 blk in 22 mins (18yo)

Jaylen Brown my comp for him, in his rookie season averaged - 7.8 pts / 4.2 rbs / 2 ast / .8 stl / .6 blk in 27 mins (19yo)

My 3 Memphis trade in targets Onyeka, WIlliams, Vassell.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#140 » by E S V L » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:54 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

I have him at SF/PF. (Waiting for the combine agility tests). He's 6'8 with a 7' wing span, has a strong motor & wide skillset.

Pat averaged - 9.2 pts / 4 rbs / 1 ast / 1 stl / 1 blk in 22 mins (18yo)

Jaylen Brown my comp for him, in his rookie season averaged - 7.8 pts / 4.2 rbs / 2 ast / .8 stl / .6 blk in 27 mins (19yo)

My 3 Memphis trade in targets Onyeka, WIlliams, Vassell.

Williams can’t defend quicker wings meaning half of them. That is why he cannot be compared to either Okongwu nor Vassel who can defend multiple positions.
FK NFL

Return to Memphis Grizzlies