Memphis/Sacramento Trade

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Memphis/Sacramento Trade 

Post#1 » by boogiesdad » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:54 pm

Personally, while we are having a good season, I feel like we are getting exposed on so many levels due to injuries. At the same time, the Chandler Parson's experiment is not working out, and we have no picks in the draft next year. We also don't have that many more years left to take advantage of Gasol and Randolph due to their escalating age.

With Gay out for the rest of the season, and destined to leave the Kings in FA no matter what, I opted to explore an option for both teams. Willie Cauley-Stein has been relegated to the bench due to all of the King's big bodies, but would be a decent defender in the middle for the Grizz, that could turn into a rim protector. Ben McLemore is at the end of his rookie contract and would be a nice backup PG at 6'5" or could be released for cap space. Arron Affalo at 6'5" is small for a SF, but does provide another shooter with a smaller more manageable contract.

With the King's just 2 games out of the last playoff spot and needing to keep Cousin's happy, I could see this as a deal that would work for both teams. Thoughts?

Grizz Trade:
Chandler Parsons
Andrew Harrison

Kings Trade:
Arron Affalo
Willie Cauley-Stein
Ben Mclemore

Trade ID #6774192

This gives Memphis a projected cap number of $92 million next year (2017/2018) versus a salary cap of $102 million.

The real benefits of this trade would be noticed in 2018/2019, when the cap rises to roughly $110 million and the Grizz would only have $69 million in committed salaries.
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Re: Memphis/Sacramento Trade 

Post#2 » by dark-child » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:22 pm

Unfortunately I don't see the front office giving up on Chandler Parsons this year. I think they are prepared to have him play as little as possible if at all this year and see what next season looks like. If the deal was on the table and a consideration, I would only do the deal if Sacramento was the only team willing to take Chandler Parsons on, which I still doubt would be the case. Sacramento is PG starved and Ben McLemore is used exclusively as a SG and in the last year of his rookie deal and his play in his contract year has been luke warm. Cauley Stein is the odd man out in Coach Joerger's rotation, and very mistake prone, but I would be very willing to take him on. As for Arron Affalo, many Grizz supporters having been hoping for his addition three years ago, because this current version seems really miscast but I guess I could swallow hard and accept it. I do think Sacramento is a good trade partner for the Grizz.
bobobolas10
Senior
And1: 307

Post#3 » by bobobolas10 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:13 am

id take my chances on Parsons. Moreover, Harrison could turn out to be a good player. Decent D and it is a matter of time that he starts to understand the game on the offensive end. Next to Gasol and Conley he can learn a lot and becoming a decent PGbackup
"Take that for Data!"
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#4 » by SD2042 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:06 am

I can't say this is a good deal for the Grizz. Even if it is for trading away Parsons. McLemore to me is a bust. WCS needs to be on a team that is more athletic and is affluent to meet his skills set. Memphis is not that team. Teams like NOP and ATL are better suited for his skills set. As for Afflalo is a solid SG, but I'm getting sick of trading for players on the wrong side of 30. As for Harrison, his offense needs work no doubt. As for his PG skills, is decent right now, but I'm not seeing a lot to say he'll be a Grizzly for the long haul.
Basketball MVP
Junior
And1: 406

Post#5 » by Basketball MVP » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:12 am

WCS has regressed this year somehow. Afflalo sounds like a good fit on paper but he is not the same 3&D player from years back. Think I'll give Parsons another year before the plug gets pulled.
Memphis basketball
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#6 » by SD2042 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:25 am

Basketball MVP wrote:WCS has regressed this year somehow. Afflalo sounds like a good fit on paper but he is not the same 3&D player from years back. Think I'll give Parsons another year before the plug gets pulled.

WCS reminds me of how Tyson Chandler came into the league. Take a read into this article to understand my reasons for the comparison.

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/12/17/tyson-chandler-craft-mavericks-bulls-hornets

I think WCS needs to leave Sacramento for a team that will utilize his athleticism, shot blocking and rebounding for the better. Also like Chandler, that team can help WCS to develop some kind of offensive set to add to his arsenal.
Basketball MVP
Junior
And1: 406

Post#7 » by Basketball MVP » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:39 am

Yeah WCS has had inconsistent minutes and I think a few head coaches. It's probably slowed down his development just like it did to Tyson Chandler, and I know when he's eventually traded and put in a more stable situation he will find his niche in the league. I thought he looked great his rookie year. I know Divac loves Papagiannis so I don't see WCS ever getting a shot in Sacramento. I know I'd love to have him here in Memphis as a lane clogger off the bench.
Memphis basketball
bobobolas10
Senior
And1: 307

Post#8 » by bobobolas10 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:14 am

Not only id rather wait on parsons. Before getting WCS, Id like to see what Deyonta might turn into.
"Take that for Data!"

Return to Memphis Grizzlies