Are We Prepared?

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Are We Prepared? 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:50 pm

http://bealestreetbears.com/2017/02/09/grizzlies-show-big-3-proven-finals-recipe/

I was reading this article from a few days back. It talks of our Big 3 being Gasol, ZBo, and MC11. To some degree, Tony Allen should be mention which would make them the "Big 4" Those guys have been together for nearly a decade. They make great chemistry as a result. With the help of the rest of the record stands at 34-23 and sitting at sixth place in the playoff race. As we know the Grizzlies hang their hats on defense. They rank 19th in rebounds at 43.4, 10th in steals at 8.3, 19th on blocks at 4.6, and rank 25th with fewer TOs at 13.0 a game. Very solid numbers across the board. Maybe the rebounding category could stand to improve a bit. Offensively is where I have a concern with the Grizzlies. The Grizzlies rank dead last in two categories: Field Goal % at 43.3 and Field Goals Made at 36.3. Assist stats have the Grizzlies at 25th at 20.8. Finally the Grizzlies offense is rank 27th at 101.0PPG. For the obvious reasons, we know the Grizzlies with Fizdale's abilities has help Gasol become more empathic from the perimeter. James Ennis is improving his game steady on both ends. A note that has been lingering for the last few years is that the Grizzlies have been function without a scorer for the last few seasons. The last players that profiled as scorers in recent memory were Rudy Gay and O.J. Mayo. The Grizzlies have since been an offense by committee. Somewhat similar to the Detroit Pistons from 2003 to 2008 or 2009. The Grizzlies could stand to acquire a scorer to help improve the offense from the bench and perhaps gets them an edge in the playoffs when in comes down to facing either Spurs or Warriors in the playoffs.

Compare these numbers against our prominent and problematic opponents: The Spurs and Warriors.

Are we Prepared against these teams

San Antonio Spurs

10th PPG: 106.7
16th RPG: 43.7
7th APG: 23.8
1st STLS: 9.5
9th FGM: 39.5
4th FG% 47.5

Golden State Warriors
1st PPG: 118.4
6th RPG: 44.5
1st APG: 31.0
12th STLS 8.0
1st FGM: 43.8
1st FG%: 50.1

Based on these numbers(Sources NBA.com) Are the Grizzlies prepared enough to not only faced off against these teams, but are equipped all across the board to beat them in a playoff series?
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Re: Are We Prepared? 

Post#2 » by dark-child » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:42 pm

NOPE! The front office has consistently had a good enough attitude and it shows come playoff time. Unwilling to upgrade where necessary because the guy you have on a ten day contract does what you ask, or your starting PF hustles and can knock down the occasional 3-pointer, and not expecting much from your starting SF now but hoping something magical will happen come playoff time is sitting on your hands.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#3 » by SD2042 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:42 pm

dark-child wrote:NOPE! The front office has consistently had a good enough attitude and it shows come playoff time. Unwilling to upgrade where necessary because the guy you have on a ten day contract does what you ask, or your starting PF hustles and can knock down the occasional 3-pointer, and not expecting much from your starting SF now but hoping something magical will happen come playoff time is sitting on your hands.

Unfortunately that has been consistent with their history. If you had to make the necessary adjustments, who would you look into acquiring for the Grizzlies in terms of long term or short terms w/o too much implications towards the salary cap?
dark-child
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by dark-child » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:41 pm

SD2042 wrote:
dark-child wrote:NOPE! The front office has consistently had a good enough attitude and it shows come playoff time. Unwilling to upgrade where necessary because the guy you have on a ten day contract does what you ask, or your starting PF hustles and can knock down the occasional 3-pointer, and not expecting much from your starting SF now but hoping something magical will happen come playoff time is sitting on your hands.

Unfortunately that has been consistent with their history. If you had to make the necessary adjustments, who would you look into acquiring for the Grizzlies in terms of long term or short terms w/o too much implications towards the salary cap?

Very good question, before I list names to go after I will say who we would should move off of. For me it is time to let Tony Allen go at the deadline and for the future. He has been relatively healthy so far yet he is too erratic offensively and not what he was defensively. Granted he can find success against one trick pick ponies like Klay Thompson, but against make there own shots type of players he is no longer the shut down defender. I would call Minnesota and attempt to get Shabazz Muhammad in exchange for Tony. This is an example of what I would be looking for, Atlanta is my next call for Tim Hardaway Jr. Both of these guys I think will be restricted next season so you will have some control after extending the qualifying offer. Neither should break the bank in the off season.

Next up is JaMychal Green, this is simply a financial move versus what he brings. His deal on its own will not bring back much so it is necessary to combine him with another player. If we combine him with Tony Allen these are the deals that would make sense:

From Minnesota = Shabazz Muhammad & Tyus Jones

From Detroit = Marcus Morris and S. Johnson

From Atlanta = Kris Humphries & Tim Hardaway Jr.

From Boston = Marcus Smart & J. Jerebko

From Lakers = Nick Young & Julius Randle; Memphis also has to send A. Harrison to make the deal work.

From Philly = Nerlens Noel & N. Stauskus
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#5 » by SD2042 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:50 am

dark-child wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

Very good question, before I list names to go after I will say who we would should move off of. For me it is time to let Tony Allen go at the deadline and for the future. He has been relatively healthy so far yet he is too erratic offensively and not what he was defensively. Granted he can find success against one trick pick ponies like Klay Thompson, but against make there own shots type of players he is no longer the shut down defender. I would call Minnesota and attempt to get Shabazz Muhammad in exchange for Tony. This is an example of what I would be looking for, Atlanta is my next call for Tim Hardaway Jr. Both of these guys I think will be restricted next season so you will have some control after extending the qualifying offer. Neither should break the bank in the off season.

Next up is JaMychal Green, this is simply a financial move versus what he brings. His deal on its own will not bring back much so it is necessary to combine him with another player. If we combine him with Tony Allen these are the deals that would make sense:

From Minnesota = Shabazz Muhammad & Tyus Jones

From Detroit = Marcus Morris and S. Johnson

From Atlanta = Kris Humphries & Tim Hardaway Jr.

From Boston = Marcus Smart & J. Jerebko

From Lakers = Nick Young & Julius Randle; Memphis also has to send A. Harrison to make the deal work.

From Philly = Nerlens Noel & N. Stauskus

Guys I would like the see the Grizzlies trade off:

Brendan Wright
JaMychal Green
Andrew Harrison
Chandler Parsons(doubt it happens realistically)
Tony Allen(doubt it happens realistically)

I've been wavering on Tony Allen myself. Respect the guy for what he has brought to the Grizzlies in his last seven years. At times with the Grizzlies and with the state of the roster and the issues of them going back and fourth between fourth and sixth place in the playoff race. I can't help but think they are due for a rebuild. They are nowhere near a championship level team like the Spurs, Warriors, and Cavs are currently. They have a team structure that's only interesting enough. I want the Grizzlies to be extraordinary and worthy to be a championship caliber team. We are not there yet. I can't say whether the team should completely break the team down from scratch or maybe rebuild around two complimentary players, which I stated in the past may not be a smart thing to do as complimentary players need a dynamic player to round out the best of the complimentary players around said person.

As for the trades you listed, I like the Tim Hardaway Jr. and Nerlens Noel as I did list them in the Grizz trade thread from last month. They need a scorer in the backcourt to help spread out the offense and a better backup at PF/C with someone of Noel's caliber.

Here's a trade I'm looking into:

Grizzlies trade T. Allen and J. Green

TO

Hornets for M. Belinneli and C. Wood

The Grizzlies swap defense and leadership out with offense in Belinneli. He would improve the Grizzlies on the perimeter to make the defenses more respectable in terms of respecting the perimeter as a solid threat. Wood would be a project on a cheap contract the Grizzlies will take under their wing as they build on the future. A small gamble to see if Wood can improve his worth under the coach style of David Fizdale.

The Hornets get defense and leadership back in T. Allen. He can be a defensive pest for the Hornets as he guards the opponents best player on or off the bench. He's also an expiring contract the Hornets can get off the books by July 1st for cap space purposes. J. Green provides the Hornets energy and athleticism at the PF position. Green can also take mid-range shots and keep the defense respectable at times and can play well into his role as a member of the Hornets. He's also a RFA meaning the Hornets hold his rights to make the best offer depending on how well he plays for them.
bobobolas10
Senior
And1: 307

Post#6 » by bobobolas10 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:02 am

At this very moment, Id say we are not prepared. Even healthy, we are not at the level I thought we were. We are losing games like that other night against the Pelicans at the FedEx, games we MUST win.

Truth is, maybe the mindset is not adjusted. "I BELIEVE", remember that. When the time comes, this team have proved they can focus, they can make the best offensive team struggle. I cannot think of a Tony Allen and ZBo playing carelessly with the Playoff atmosphera all around. I dont think Coach Fizdale will give Carter nor A.Harrison 25 minutes per game. I hope Mr Parsons will start attacking the rim instead of that flat ass-ball jumper.

All being said, Id like to trade for Lou Williams. He is a proven scorer with an affordable salary (7 mill this season and 7 next year). Vince Carter and J.Martin would make it work. As much as I love VC and id hate to see him go, it looks great for our team. However, the lakers would not take it in a million years. Tony Allen instead of VC would make it work too but they are not taking it either. Cant trade Wright, I want to keep him.
"Take that for Data!"
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#7 » by SD2042 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:15 pm

bobobolas10 wrote:At this very moment, Id say we are not prepared. Even healthy, we are not at the level I thought we were. We are losing games like that other night against the Pelicans at the FedEx, games we MUST win.

Truth is, maybe the mindset is not adjusted. "I BELIEVE", remember that. When the time comes, this team have proved they can focus, they can make the best offensive team struggle. I cannot think of a Tony Allen and ZBo playing carelessly with the Playoff atmosphera all around. I dont think Coach Fizdale will give Carter nor A.Harrison 25 minutes per game. I hope Mr Parsons will start attacking the rim instead of that flat ass-ball jumper.

All being said, Id like to trade for Lou Williams. He is a proven scorer with an affordable salary (7 mill this season and 7 next year). Vince Carter and J.Martin would make it work. As much as I love VC and id hate to see him go, it looks great for our team. However, the lakers would not take it in a million years. Tony Allen instead of VC would make it work too but they are not taking it either. Cant trade Wright, I want to keep him.

Well, looks like Lou Williams is a Rox at the expense of Corey Brewer and a Rox 1st pick this year. I think there are other scorers out there that the Grizzlies could take a look at. Except the ones I'm looking at all are RFA and could potentially expense to retain for Wallace to retain.
dark-child
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by dark-child » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:25 pm

Yes but some RFA will be a lot cheaper to keep than others. I have a feeling that JaMychal Green is going to get an offer near 15 million per season which is crazy and would prevent resigning Zach Randolph if the Grizzlies matched. RFA like Tim Hardaway Jr. gives us a starting quality SG and who should come in around 10 million per and not lose anything going forward if you obtained him now prior to the playoffs.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#9 » by SD2042 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:34 am

dark-child wrote:Yes but some RFA will be a lot cheaper to keep than others. I have a feeling that JaMychal Green is going to get an offer near 15 million per season which is crazy and would prevent resigning Zach Randolph if the Grizzlies matched. RFA like Tim Hardaway Jr. gives us a starting quality SG and who should come in around 10 million per and not lose anything going forward if you obtained him now prior to the playoffs.

THJ definitely on my list. So was Bojan Bogdanovic until he was traded to the Wizards an hour ago. Other guys I have in mind:

Nick Young-
Marcus Thornton
D.J. Augustin
Nik Stauskas
dark-child
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by dark-child » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:34 pm

I would be okay with Nick Young, D.J. Augustin and Nik Stauskas as long as the price was Tony Allen. I don't want to see the recently waived Marcus Thornton if for no other reason then stopping the pipeline of LSU players coming to the Grizzlies. Chris Wallace has to learn there are other fish in the sea.

Don't forget about Shabazz Muhammad, as it would be nice to have a player wouldn't have to ask twice to shoot the ball.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#11 » by SD2042 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:26 pm

dark-child wrote:I would be okay with Nick Young, D.J. Augustin and Nik Stauskas as long as the price was Tony Allen. I don't want to see the recently waived Marcus Thornton if for no other reason then stopping the pipeline of LSU players coming to the Grizzlies. Chris Wallace has to learn there are other fish in the sea.

Don't forget about Shabazz Muhammad, as it would be nice to have a player wouldn't have to ask twice to shoot the ball.

Good luck to that part.

As for Muhammed, although I respect his determination he needs to work on gaining better consistency if he want to become a better contributor in the league. Now would the Grizzlies consider him as an option is the question. I would welcome his aggression to a team like the Grizzlies.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies