ImageImage

Grizzlies Off-Season

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,547

Grizzlies Off-Season 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sun Apr 8, 2018 10:32 pm

Not a Grizzlies fan, but trying to get a feel for what the Grizzlies are trying to do this off-season if some one or a few of you combined could let me know a detailed breakdown of what they’re likely to do this off-season.
bobobolas10
Senior
And1: 307

Re: Grizzlies Off-Season 

Post#2 » by bobobolas10 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:19 am

I believe they are not getting into rebuild mode.

I think they expect to get a top3 pick, thats very reasonable. A rookie that can help since day1.
Conley getting back fully healthy.
Marc having one last good season.
Mr D.Brooks Being a solid player on both sides of the court.
No hopes on Parsons obviously but:
Good Role players like Martin, Green, Harrison, Selden, McLemore, Simmons, .... (No Evans of course, he is gone for sure), those young players should be getting slightly better.

So if you ask me, I think they will be aiming to get a playoff spot. They are not trading Gasol/Conley unless there is a trade request.

Is a trade request from any of our superstars an option? Gasol didnt request it in February and if it didnt happen at that point, im not sure it will happen. On the other hand, he is getting older and he is a winner. That window to help get a title is closing... A move to the Celtics or anywhere where lebron or KD land might give Gasol that option.

I dont think Conley is requesting anything since we are where we are because of his injury.
"Take that for Data!"
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,515

Post#3 » by BarbaGrizz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:32 pm

I have a feeling that we'll end up with Doncic and that Rabb will take major leap in this off-season, so, in my dream, we would be playing next season with:

Conley
Doncic
D. Brooks
Rabb/Green
Marc

With average bench play, good enough for a 7th seed with a 1st round exit and erase our 1st pick debt with Boston and then enter in a real rebuild
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#4 » by VCfor3 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:04 pm

I completely agree with the above posts. Memphis will try to retain Reke but I don't know if that'll happen. They will come back and fight for a 7/8 playoff seed and first round exit in order to clear their pick obligation. Unless things go very wrong again, I don't see Marc requesting to be traded and I doubt any other team would offer enough for Gasol and/or Conley to make it worth moving them. If Reke moves on, I think we use the MLE on another young but sorta win-now type player. Not sure who that is but with the salary crunch this offseason maybe we can steal a decent player.
bobobolas10
Senior

Post#5 » by bobobolas10 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:48 am

How sad it is to miss the grizzlies in the playoffs. I remember those nights waking up in the middle of the night, sneaking to the sofa to watch those battles against the Thunders, Clippers or Spurs....

Today I read that Keeping Tyreke might be an option. Id love to have him back next season. If you were Tyreke, Would you stay in Memphis? I mean, he is getting many touches, getting recognition from the league, being the best 6th man for months,... On the other hand, I dont think he liked being on the trade block and finally not traded getting stucked in the worst tanking team in the NBA... If he moves to a contender, he is not putting up the same numbers, so..... is it worth it for him?
"Take that for Data!"
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#6 » by VCfor3 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:50 pm

bobobolas10 wrote:How sad it is to miss the grizzlies in the playoffs. I remember those nights waking up in the middle of the night, sneaking to the sofa to watch those battles against the Thunders, Clippers or Spurs....

Today I read that Keeping Tyreke might be an option. Id love to have him back next season. If you were Tyreke, Would you stay in Memphis? I mean, he is getting many touches, getting recognition from the league, being the best 6th man for months,... On the other hand, I dont think he liked being on the trade block and finally not traded getting stucked in the worst tanking team in the NBA... If he moves to a contender, he is not putting up the same numbers, so..... is it worth it for him?

It is hard to figure out what will happen with tyreke. I think money will be his biggest factor. He hasn't made his nest egg yet and he wants to capitalize on his best season since his rookie year.

Option 1: I think a team with cap space could easily snatch him up, but I don't know if he would be okay with a 1yr/18mil deal when more guaranteed money is being offered (MLE) due to his injury history. They could still offer a multi-year deal worth more than the MLE though and I strongly think he'd take it.

Option 2: Grizzlies offer the MLE with a PO for the 2nd year. This would let him still have guaranteed money in case he is injured, but if he is playing well then he can opt out and resign with the grizzlies using early bird rights. This would net him a bit more money than another team's MLE which is what the Grizzlies FO is banking on I think. This could lead to an expensive lottery team after next season but I guess that's Pera's problem.

Option 3: A contender offers Reke their MLE. The Grizzlies option may be more money, but I don't know if the difference is enough to sway Reke from the allure of playing on a championship team.
bobobolas10
Senior

Post#7 » by bobobolas10 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:37 am

One thing is sure, If they wanna be competitive, they got to keep Tyreke. Im pretty sure we cant land another player as good as him in the Free agency. Not saying he is an allstar caliber player or so. But lets be real, who would want to come to the grizz better than him?
"Take that for Data!"
dark-child
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#8 » by dark-child » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:00 pm

bobobolas10 wrote:One thing is sure, If they wanna be competitive, they got to keep Tyreke. Im pretty sure we cant land another player as good as him in the Free agency. Not saying he is an allstar caliber player or so. But lets be real, who would want to come to the grizz better than him?

I think there are better options other than Tyreke for the mid level and having roster balance going forward, provided the team lands Doncic via the draft and the return of Marshon Brooks on the cheap. Too many ball dominant players can kill a team just as much as the marginal NBA level talent on the roster did this season.

Better options if Luka Doncic is the pick for the Mid level exception:
1. Rodney Hood
2. Mario Hezonja
3. Doug McDermott
4. Nerlens Noel
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,515

Post#9 » by BarbaGrizz » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:33 pm

I think Mario Hezonja will receive heavy interested this offseason, but if somehow he accepts only the MLE than I'm all for going after him
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today

Return to Memphis Grizzlies