Grizzlies Laundry List for 2018 Draft

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Grizzlies Laundry List for 2018 Draft 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:18 am

With the draft looming next month. I want to take the time out to create this laundry list of items the Grizzlies need to focus on heading to the draft. Keeping in mind everything on the list will not be solve just by the draft alone. That said, let's make a list of what the Grizzlies need to address for the draft/summer.

If anyone wishes to add something I may not have added, feel free to do so.

Needs:

Scorer(s): The Grizzlies are in need of a player who can create their own shot. They had that person in Tyreke Evans this season. Given that he has played well this past season, it's likely he has outplay even the MLE and will seek a bigger payday. That said, the Grizzlies need a scorer who can relieve pressure off Conley and Gasol and company.

Rebounding: The Grizzlies rebounding took a nose dive in the last couple seasons. Both defensive and offensive rebounds are important and determine who wins and losses games. The Grizzlies struggled mightily in these areas.

Defense: This team needs improvements around it's defense. Ranked at 29th for the season. Need I say more.

Restructure the chemistry and continue to find the best players that best fit this draft. Either way, the inevitable is upon us. The Grizzlies will have to rebuild one way or another.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,976

Re: Grizzlies Laundry List for 2018 Draft 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:18 am

Hello Bagley (except for defense though there is a chance he can be decent there).

I think an additional playmaker to help Conley out as well is needed. That could come in the form of a better backup PG or elsewhere but our offense doesn't flow without Conley. Reke helped with that but like you said he may be gone.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,545

Post#3 » by BarbaGrizz » Fri May 18, 2018 4:33 pm

We also need to REALLY commit to a head coach and starting buiilding from there. Also, I think our defense will have a natural improvement when we actually give a s*** about winning.

Adding Bagley would address to the first two issues, while adding Porter would address to only the first one. I view JJJ as more of a project and Bamba can't slide to PF, neither Gasol. I don't see anyone else being worth of the 4th pick.
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#4 » by SD2042 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:35 am

VCfor3 wrote:Hello Bagley (except for defense though there is a chance he can be decent there).

I think an additional playmaker to help Conley out as well is needed. That could come in the form of a better backup PG or elsewhere but our offense doesn't flow without Conley. Reke helped with that but like you said he may be gone.

Without question, the Grizzlies need a backup PG. I wonder if they can acquire another first rounder in the mid to late area of the draft. If so, I suggest Aaron Holiday. If they end up staying at their second round pick, perhaps Tony Carr

BarbaGrizz wrote:We also need to REALLY commit to a head coach and starting buiilding from there. Also, I think our defense will have a natural improvement when we actually give a s*** about winning.

Adding Bagley would address to the first two issues, while adding Porter would address to only the first one. I view JJJ as more of a project and Bamba can't slide to PF, neither Gasol. I don't see anyone else being worth of the 4th pick.

To really give a s**t about winning takes a collective like you said. When the team usher themselves away from the GNG era, Pera, the front office and the players knew they would be in for a struggle. They still will be in for a struggle perhaps for the next couple of seasons regardless of Mike and Marc's health. The Western Conference is stack. We witness what happened with positions 3-8. Even the Spurs themselves were sitting at number 8 in the playoff standings for a least a good week. The roster we have is a mess at best. The Grizzlies have a lot of work to do to get back in playoff shape.

As for the pick itself. Like yourself, I agree JJJ will be a project like Rabb is currently with the Grizzlies. So why get another project PF. My thinking with the pick if we keep it is perhaps get Mo Bamba. He's defensively solid as far as C/PF young prospects in this upcoming draft. I feel he's better than Davis right now. More aggressive and is a quick learner. Offense is where he needs some work. He's able to knockdown the occasional three ball when the opportunity presents itself. He could stand to develop his mid range shot as well. I actually would not mind him next to Gasol at the PF position to provide defense and learn some pointers from Marc. Once Gasol is traded away, Bamba can return to his natural position at center.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,545

Post#5 » by BarbaGrizz » Mon May 21, 2018 2:43 pm

If we decide to go with the twin towers setup than I'm OK with taking Bamba, as both him and Marc have range. But again, the first thing we must have is commitment. We need to commit to a plan and just stick with it. I also wouldn't trade Gasol, as we'll not receive anything nearly to what he's worth for us (team, organization, fans, community, etc.)
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today

Return to Memphis Grizzlies