ImageImage

Ideal (realistic) #4/Parsons Return?

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Ideal (realistic) #4/Parsons Return? 

Post#41 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jul 4, 2018 2:31 am

parson wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:At no point was Memphis just trying to dump Parsons for cap space. They wanted a lot more on top of that like either a useful player back and a still top 7 pick this draft or an All Star player.

Just to be clear: you wanted to dump Parson's $24+ million contract, acquire a useful player and still get a top 7 pick in next year's draft for the 4th pick of this draft?

So DAL's top 5 protected pick (coming in at maybe 10-15) is too weak...

No I meant a top 7 pick in this past draft, not next year. The Grizzlies aren't and weren't looking to using the pick to just dump Parsons. If someone was wanting to overpay and move up then sure but otherwise they were fine just taking JJJ (which they did). The deals floated out there were something like 6/Evan or 5/Barnes for 4/Parsons and no one wanted to pay that price so they kept the pick. You asked if Memphis would move JJJ to just get off Parsons and get back the Dallas pick and I answered that I thought they wouldn't due to what they had been seeking prior to JJJ killing it in his first summer game. I'm not judging the trade on value, just on whether Memphis would do it or not.

Also we are over the cap so some of the savings we get from getting off of Parsons would be negated anyway. We aren't getting 19mil to do whatever we want with. It is more like a little over 10mil which isn't much more than the likely 7mil left on our MLE. I think the report that came out was overblown and people assumed we were looking for a pure salary dump which doesn't seem like it was ever really the case.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Re: Ideal (realistic) #4/Parsons Return? 

Post#42 » by SD2042 » Wed Jul 4, 2018 5:02 am

parson wrote:
SD2042 wrote:It's essentially our pick and Parsons for cap space just to get Evans back in the fold.

I know this is y'all's board and all but ... don't you mean your pick and Parsons for cap space AND the DAL pick AND Muscala?
SD2042 wrote: With the way Evans played this past season, he is not going to want the MLE the Grizzlies are going to offer him. He's going to want more like Will Barton just receive from the Nuggets

With the deal giving y'all $19+ million, just how much more do you need to offer to match what Barton got (4 years, $50 million)?

In real time, Evans is now a member of the Pacers.

That being said, I personally would not have trade this year's pick just to get off Parsons contract. The Grizzlies sht the bed on that deal. As such they deserve to lay in the bed for their stink they created.It should teach them not to be reckless in making deals with players with history of injuries. I also doubt in real time, that anyone would bail the Grizzlies out of Parsons because they have the cap space to handle the contract. Another reson why I disagree with trading the pick is because sooner or later, the Grizzlies will have to go into rebuilding mode. As such they can't afford to sacrifice their future anymore than they already done.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies