Trade Options: Rebuild Through the Lottery

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Trade Options: Rebuild Through the Lottery 

Post#1 » by boogiesdad » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:33 pm

OK, SD mentioned a plan for blowing up the team and creating cap room. The key was to create some type of excitement if I couldn't keep the core. So I went for fair trades, but as we all saw with the Dwight Howard trade, stupid things happen.

Memphis Trades:
Mike Conley

NY Trades:
Joakim Noah
Courtney Lee

For New York, the lose of the pick is hard, but Conley is worth a #1 when healthy. The Knicks also move on from Noah. For MEM, its all about getting younger while Conley still has value.

MEM Trades:
Gasol to CLE
Chandler to DAL

CLE Trades:
Tristan Thompson to MEM
Kyle Korver to DAL
#8 to DAL

Dallas Trades:
#33 to MEM

The MEM/DAL trade has been discussed for weeks. In this scenario, MEM doesn't lose a pick. CLE adds a key piece to Lebron, and DAL gets a pick for cap room that they wanted.

Post July 1:

MEM trades:
Courtney Lee

PHI Trades:

Philly is about to be sitting on a ton of cap space, and Courntey Lee is a cheap at proven option at the SG for a late pick.

Versus being in cap hell, the Grizz will now have a cap # of $41,020,608 before any moves or draft picks.

Roster-
PG: Andrew Harrison
SG: Marshon Brooks, Wayne Selden, Ben McLemore
SF: Dillon Brooks, Rade Zagorac
PF: JaMychal Green, Jarrel Martin, Ivan Rabb
C: Deyonta Davis

Draft Picks Based on NBADraft.net best available at pick:

#4- Jaren Jackson
#9- Trae Young
#26- Jacob Evans
#32- Brandon McCoy
#33- Overseas Investment- Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk

Post Draft Lineup:
PG: Trae Young, Andrew Harrison
SG: Marshon Brooks, Wayne Selden, Ben McLemore (released)
SF: Dillon Brooks, Jacob Evans (2way), Rade Zagorac (released)
PF: Jaren Jackson, JaMychal Green, Jarrel Martin, Ivan Rabb (released)
C: Tristan Thompson, Denyonta Davis, Brandon McCoy(2 way)

Post draft salary cap # $53 million, $48 Million in cap space.

FA Signings: Here is the tricky part, as MEM can't get a top tier player to sign unless they are a risk, so they will have to over pay Vet to mentor this team.

So how to use the cap space:
Mario Chalmbers- resigned at a minimal rate to mentor Young
Rudy Gay -3 years @ $33 Million
Tyreke Evans 3 years @ $33 Million
Demarcus Cousins -MAX him, and hope others are scared by his Achilles injury. Back up option is to move Jaren to the C.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Trade Options: Rebuild Through the Lottery 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:32 pm

Wouldn't it be better to keep Parsons since he expires when Noah does? I'd rather have #8 and just ride Parsons out if we are rebuilding. Also NYK have #9.

I also don't think Philly will do that right now since they still have a shot at Lebron, PG, or another player better than Lee. If they do trade for him, it likely includes bayless going back in the deal.

Interesting plan though my friend. Maxing Cousins would be nice but I don't think we could convince him to come to us unless with little more than Reke and unproven young guys. I'd cry tears of joy and message you the video if we could get #8 and #9 for Conley, Gasol, and taking back bad contracts.
bobobolas10
Senior
And1: 307

Post#3 » by bobobolas10 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:18 am

I understood the Conley part. But we are getting in return of Marc #33 and Tristan Thompson, right? I guess the good point is to get rid of Parsons while dumping Gasol too? I dont know man... I dont feel like letting go just yet.
"Take that for Data!"
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#4 » by boogiesdad » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:01 pm

This was purely a plan of potential, if and only if we went into a full rebuilding mode. The intent was to create a younger, faster, and more exciting team. The challenge was to try and make the deals fair, which as we all know is almost impossible.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#5 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:50 am

boogiesdad wrote:This was purely a plan of potential, if and only if we went into a full rebuilding mode. The intent was to create a younger, faster, and more exciting team. The challenge was to try and make the deals fair, which as we all know is almost impossible.

After last season, Gasol and Conley are at their lowest value-wise. I just can't see a deal presenting itself that would be worth it. If they both come in next year playing at a super high level then maybe we get offers at the deadline that would be worth it. Otherwise I think our best plan is to ball hard next season and try for the playoffs. Don't burn future assets to improve the team but try for Evans in FA and see what we can do. We will clear our pick to Boston in what should be a weaker draft and have all of our 1st round picks moving forward. At that point, Gasol is a large expiring contract. If we take back a longer contract or bad contract to add extra value, we may be able to get a good enough haul to be worth trading him. Conley would only have 2 years left so someone may have interest in him, but I also like him as a mentor to the young guys. Parsons would also be an expiring. We could move him for a longer contract+assets or just let him expire. He may even take a buyout at that point to try his luck with a different team.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies