Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Grizzlies Sign PF Watanabe to Two-Way Deal 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:15 pm

[tweet]
Read on Twitter

[/tweet]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/in-japan-he-is-the-chosen-one-can-yuta-watanabe-become-the-countrys-second-ever-nba-player/2018/07/12/ba3fab50-853b-11e8-9e80-403a221946a7_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f2441c8730a2

I'm not familar with this player. He does become the second Japanese player in NBA history after the Lakers once had the first Japanese player Yuta Tabuse on their roster several years ago. He is a PF and according to the profile is a solid shot blocker. The rest is unknown at this point. He's expected to be on the Memphis Hustle for the time being.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Re: Grizzlies Sign PF Watanabe to Two-Way Deal 

Post#2 » by BarbaGrizz » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:43 pm

Smart move, way more upside than Myke Henry. Can develop in a smart 3-and-D. And...well...improves our fan base in Japan.
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
e_l_f_o
Junior
And1: 143

Post#3 » by e_l_f_o » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:45 am

This will be a great signing. Fits perfect as a role player 3-D
Llull, Llull, Llull!!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:28 pm

Is this guy expected to put in more time in the G-League or with the big league squad?

Grizzlies rookie Yuta Watanabe makes opening-night roster

Memphis Grizzlies rookie Yuta Watanabe was one of 17 players named on Saturday to the team’s opening-day roster.

The 24-year-old Watanabe signed a two-year, two-way contract with the Grizzlies over the summer. He scored 11 points in the team’s victory over the Indiana Pacers in a preseason exhibition game last week.

The 17 players named to the Grizzlies’ roster, including two two-way players, are eligible to play for the Grizzlies as well as the franchise’s NBA G League squad, the Memphis Hustle.
Japan Times
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:40 pm

Read on Twitter
oligo
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#6 » by oligo » Sat Jan 4, 2020 11:42 pm

I dunno about you guys, but I was watching a ton of tape of this guy, incl. summer league and PS games, but I haven't seen anything particular on him (except his high energy plays).

I know he might be an anchor of Grizz fanbase in Japan, but he really needs to develop at least one strength to full potential to become above the average guy in at least one category. Otherwise, he's gonna be on the bubble most of the time.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#7 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jan 4, 2020 11:52 pm

oligo wrote:I dunno about you guys, but I was watching a ton of tape of this guy, incl. summer league and PS games, but I haven't seen anything particular on him (except his high energy plays).

I know he might be an anchor of Grizz fanbase in Japan, but he really needs to develop at least one strength to full potential to become above the average guy in at least one category. Otherwise, he's gonna be on the bubble most of the time.

Yeah he has talent and is a fun story, but if he can't find a way to get an occasional call-up this season I wonder if we will use his two-way contract for an undrafted player of interest this offseason.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#8 » by SD2042 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 2:18 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
oligo wrote:I dunno about you guys, but I was watching a ton of tape of this guy, incl. summer league and PS games, but I haven't seen anything particular on him (except his high energy plays).

Yeah he has talent and is a fun story, but if he can't find a way to get an occasional call-up this season I wonder if we will use his two-way contract for an undrafted player of interest this offseason.

I've been curious to understand what his capabilities can truly be if and when he gets a call up to play for the team. For now, I just hope he's continuing to build up on his skills set to better himself as a player in the league.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies