Tank Mode Game

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Re: Tank Mode Game 

Post#21 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:19 pm

I honestly didn't know there was a huge debate on whether Memphis should convey their draft pick to Boston or not this summer.

From an outsider's perspective, it seems obvious you'd want to retain a high pick and send them a less than stellar one in the teens or 20s.

The only scenario where I could see wanting to send the pick now, no matter what is if you plan on bottoming out in the future and anticipate even higher picks in the 2020, 2021 drafts.

Read on Twitter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Tank Mode Game 

Post#22 » by VCfor3 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:50 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I honestly didn't know there was a huge debate on whether Memphis should convey their draft pick to Boston or not this summer.

From an outsider's perspective, it seems obvious you'd want to retain a high pick and send them a less than stellar one in the teens or 20s.

The only scenario where I could see wanting to send the pick now, no matter what is if you plan on bottoming out in the future and anticipate even higher picks in the 2020, 2021 drafts.

Read on Twitter

It's kinda funny. The debate is very strong in Memphis yet everyone else outside of Memphis assumes we are tanking to keep the pick.

Basically there are 2.5 options:
1. #PlayToConvey is trying to win games and see if we can get to #8/9ish. Our chances of getting a top 4 pick go down a bit but we then have a chance of conveying and getting that black cloud out from over our head. Conley can then be moved this summer when he likely will have his highest value moving forward. Val can potentially be moved for bad contract+asset as well. You're in for a few rough seasons but that would let you properly tank and have a better shot at adding young star talent around JJJ especially if you feel the players around 6-8 have very little star potential. You don't want to be in the position the NOP are.

2. Tank for the best pick you can get. You can't move up much but you can move up some and make sure you keep the pick. You slightly increase your odds at Zion or a top 4 pick as well.

2.5 If you do end up keeping the pick, you can try to trade it to Boston for MEM pick+ (additional value depends on where the pick lands). If you get around 4/5, I'd hope to trade it for 18(LAC)+MEM pick personally. I think the difference in talent between 4/5 and 18 isn't as big as usual and you then get your pick back. You can then trade Mike/JV or whatever and properly tank with your picks intact plus another young guy to add to the core of JJJ/Brooks/Anderson.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies