Woj - Memphis to start listening to trade offers for Marc Gasol & Mike Conley 

Post#1 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:06 am

Read on Twitter
Najee12
Pro Prospect
And1: 878

Mike Conley and Marc Gasol 

Post#2 » by Najee12 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:44 am

Unfortunately for Memphis, the Grizzlies held on too long to Marc Gasol and Mike Conley Jr. Gasol may have been a great trade asset two years ago but he's 33 years old now and Memphis has to temper expectations. Moreover, Gasol can become a free agent this summer by opting out of the final year of his $25.5 million contract for 2019-20. Maybe win-now teams such as Toronto and Milwaukee would generate interest. I could see Miami wanting Gasol to get out of Hassan Whiteside's contract but I don't see Memphis wanting Whiteside unless Miami offers a draft pick.

Conley's contract and playing the deepest position in the NBA hurts his value. An ideal place for Conley could be Indiana in exchange for Darren Collison, Cory Joseph and Tyreke Evans, all of whom have expiring contracts. Conley goes back to his native Indianapolis, forms a strong defensive and offensively aggressive backcourt with Victor Oladipo and serves as a stepping stone to rookie Aaron Holiday.
Kevin Johnson isn't "Michael Jordan" famous ... he's "Mitch Richmond" famous
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Mike Conley and Marc Gasol 

Post#3 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:59 am

Najee12 wrote:Unfortunately for Memphis, the Grizzlies held too long to Marc Gasol and Mike Conley Jr. Gasol may have been a great trade asset two years ago but he's 33 years old now and Memphis has to temper expectations. Moreover, Gasol can become a free agent this summer by opting out of the final year of his $25.5 million contract for 2019-20. Maybe win-now teams such as Toronto and Milwaukee would generate interest. I could see Miami wanting Gasol to get out of Hassan Whiteside's contract but I don't see Memphis wanting Whiteside unless Miami offers a draft pick.

Conley's contract and playing the deepest position in the NBA hurts his value. An ideal place for Conley could be Indiana in exchange for Darren Collison, Cory Joseph and Tyreke Evans, all of whom have expiring contracts. Conley goes back to his native Indianapolis, forms a strong defensive and offensively aggressive backcourt with Victor Oladipo and serves as a stepping stone to rookie Aaron Holiday.

We will see what happens. The only positive right now is that there are fewer sellers than normal. As long as Memphis takes back bad money I think they can still net a few decentish assets to help kick off the rebuild. Plus selling off the vet expiring players will help. We definitely waited to long in terms of value, but I get why they waited. I may not agree with it and it is due to their own incompetence, but I understand their reasons. (Butts in seats, wanted to convey the pick and then blow it up, etc.)
bobobolas10
Senior
And1: 307

Re: Woj - Memphis to start listening to trade offers for Marc Gasol & Mike Conley 

Post#4 » by bobobolas10 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:29 am

It was hard to let go. FO thought the window was kind of open all this years but I can pinpoint the exact day the window was shut down: the day McCollum broke Conley's face.

Ever since this Franchise is going down and down. Id say the only bright side might be Jaren Jackson Jr. Hopefully Dillon Brooks might turn into a reliable SF/SG at some point, but beside that, everything is falling.

Id rather trade Gasol and keep Conley. Not sure if Gasol would opt out next summer, all signs say he will leave so... lets get something in return. Hopefully we will get a top3pick in the draft so we can keep our pick and start rebuilding from there.

Maybe we can send Gasol to one of those delusional East' teams that is dreaming about beating de Celtics or Raptors...
"Take that for Data!"
puppa bear
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,500

Woj - Memphis to start listening to trade offers for Marc Gasol & Mike Conley 

Post#5 » by puppa bear » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:48 am

bobobolas10 wrote:It was hard to let go. FO thought the window was kind of open all this years but I can pinpoint the exact day the window was shut down: the day McCollum broke Conley's face.

Ever since this Franchise is going down and down. Id say the only bright side might be Jaren Jackson Jr. Hopefully Dillon Brooks might turn into a reliable SF/SG at some point, but beside that, everything is falling.

Id rather trade Gasol and keep Conley. Not sure if Gasol would opt out next summer, all signs say he will leave so... lets get something in return. Hopefully we will get a top3pick in the draft so we can keep our pick and start rebuilding from there.

Maybe we can send Gasol to one of those delusional East' teams that is dreaming about beating de Celtics or Raptors...

Miami Heat fan reporting for duty, sir!
pizza guy
Sophomore
And1: 105

Re: Woj - Memphis to start listening to trade offers for Marc Gasol & Mike Conley 

Post#6 » by pizza guy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:32 pm

As a Pacers fan, I think a lot of us are keeping an eye on Conley. It's a really good fit on the court. The concerns are his huge contract and recent injury history. He seems to be healthy right now, and playing well, but will in continue for the next 2.5 years? It's a big risk with that contract. Personally, I feel like we're unlikely to attract a free agent at Conley's level, despite having the cap space to do it, so I'd be on board. Kemba is my first choice, but Conley is a great second choice.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#7 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:56 pm

pizza guy wrote:As a Pacers fan, I think a lot of us are keeping an eye on Conley. It's a really good fit on the court. The concerns are his huge contract and recent injury history. He seems to be healthy right now, and playing well, but will in continue for the next 2.5 years? It's a big risk with that contract. Personally, I feel like we're unlikely to attract a free agent at Conley's level, despite having the cap space to do it, so I'd be on board. Kemba is my first choice, but Conley is a great second choice.

FWIW, the surgery was somewhat of an elective surgery last season. It was a problem that he could have kept playing with but was bothering him the past year or two. He has looked good this year and *knock on wood* he shouldn't have future problems stemming from any of this. I'd still argue to Memphis he is an injury concern though when negotiating.
pizza guy
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#8 » by pizza guy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:00 pm

Yeah, I think people have justifiable concerns, but I'd agree that over the course of his career, it isn't too bad, and he certainly looks good this year. Still, at his age and with some concerns there, it has to affect his value.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#9 » by DCintheD » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:02 pm

bobobolas10 wrote:Maybe we can send Gasol to one of those delusional East' teams that is dreaming about beating de Celtics or Raptors...

wouldnt be surprised if the pistons offered 3 unprotected 1sts...
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
BigSleep333
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,632

Post#10 » by BigSleep333 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:33 pm

what do you guys think about that offer:

fultz+chandler+mia 1st 2021+phi 1st 2019 for conley and casspi
https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7161920

you get young talent in fultz, cap relief of ~22m and picks.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#11 » by Kabookalu » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:52 pm

Build around Bruno.
Read on Twitter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#12 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:28 pm

BigSleep333 wrote:what do you guys think about that offer:

fultz+chandler+mia 1st 2021+phi 1st 2019 for conley and casspi
https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7161920

you get young talent in fultz, cap relief of ~22m and picks.

Deal and you can't take it back!

Return to Memphis Grizzlies