ImageImage

Toronto to send Jonas Valanciunas, Delon Wright, CJ Miles and a 2024 second-round pick to the the Grizzlies

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Re: Toronto to send Jonas Valanciunas, Delon Wright, CJ Miles and a 2024 second-round pick to the the Grizzlies 

Post#2 » by boogiesdad » Thu Feb 7, 2019 7:17 pm

Change in Team Outlook: +9.4 ppg, +2.9 rpg, and -0.9 apg.
Incoming Players
Jonas Valanciunas
26 year old, 7-0, 265 lb C from Lietuvos Rytas (Lithuania)
12.8 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 1.0 apg in 18.8 minutes in 2018-2019
C.J. Miles
31 year old, 6-6, 230 lb GF from Skyline High School (Texas)
5.5 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 0.6 apg in 14.1 minutes in 2018-2019
Delon Wright
26 year old, 6-5, 183 lb G from Utah
6.9 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.2 apg in 18.3 minutes in 2018-2019
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Re: Toronto to send Jonas Valanciunas, Delon Wright, CJ Miles and a 2024 second-round pick to the the Grizzlies 

Post#3 » by boogiesdad » Thu Feb 7, 2019 7:19 pm

Jonas has value and could be a 20/10 player, if given 30 minutes a night. CJ is a player option, Delon is a qualifying offer. Seems like we could have done a lot better than tying up cap, unless Jonas opts in or signs long term. He is not a good passer for the C spot like Gasol.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#4 » by TheCage4 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 7:50 pm

I tip my cap to Gasol and wish him all the best. Long live Grit & Grind.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Feb 7, 2019 7:51 pm

End of an era.

I only modestly follow Grizz but I support this board and it's members.

What's the feeling in town? Inevitable but painful?

Worse than when Pau was traded?

Change is hard, but this needed to happen.

JJJ + JV is a pretty solid front court pairing moving forward.

Read on Twitter
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,188

Post#6 » by Tofubeque » Thu Feb 7, 2019 11:51 pm

JV is kind of like if Marc was a basketball dumbass, but still tried really hard. I've always said if you could transplant the brain of a Gasol brother into his body, he'd be a HOFer. He does have elite touch in the paint and from the FT line for a big. Wingspan is a surprising 7'6", Gobert esque. We definitely upgraded over him but he'll still be missed in Toronto.

There's a chance JV and Gasol both opt in to their final years. What kind of money is really going to be out there for traditional Cs?
props Turbozone
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Post#7 » by BarbaGrizz » Fri Feb 8, 2019 11:46 am

I would prefer picks for Marc but I'm not mad with this trade. I think JV can really work well with JJJ and Wright has a shot of being decent
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,743

Post#8 » by UcanUwill » Fri Feb 8, 2019 2:00 pm

Jonas is good, one of the most underutilized players in the league in the past couple years.
lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Post#9 » by lobosloboslobos » Fri Feb 8, 2019 4:36 pm

You guys are going to be very very happy with Jonas. He is #8 in TS% in the league this year and #10 in rebounding percentage. He's tough as nails and always steps up under pressure. He's a bully down low at both ends and does very well against even the best big strong Cs but has trouble with speedy ones and is not very good on p/n/r defense. Overall though he is young, a great guy, and dying to get a chance to show what he can do as a primary offensive option, something he never was allowed to under Casey. This year, in his off the bench role, he is putting up literally (you can check) the best numbers in the history of the NBA in points and rebounds for guys playing under 20 minutes with 13/7. He was so disliked by some of our board that some of them will probably follow me here to put him down ffs but many more Raps fans loved what he brought to the table. Never complained, always delivered, never backed down. I'll be rooting for Memphis now that he's there.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,864

Post#10 » by LoveMyRaps » Fri Feb 8, 2019 9:39 pm

I hope he plays at least 30mpg in Memphis. He'll easily be a 20/10 guy with solid defense.

You guys got a good one.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
Meeksology
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,573

Post#11 » by Meeksology » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:53 am

I have a feeling JV and delon will kill it for u guys in Memphis, JV especially.
Mark me up as someone who will be rooting for u guys from now on (unless it's vs the raps)

Sent from my SM-N950W using RealGM mobile app
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,887

Post#12 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 3:17 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:I hope he plays at least 30mpg in Memphis. He'll easily be a 20/10 guy with solid defense.

You guys got a good one.

JV's per is pretty good but where he showed his value was taking over some playoffs series. Only this year he is he shooting from three but he was always money from the line if he gets those calls. The biggest waste of his ability under Casey was they didn't try to get him to the line. Derozan and especially Casey never made JV better but JV made JV better. Guaranteed Old School Stackhouse loves JV. JV is a talented big. Delon every time he seems to turn the corner and become a decent rotation player he gets injured. He is versatile and talented as well. CJ is a streaky shooter having a bad year and one has to wonder how he will fit in at his age. Funny guy though.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#13 » by VCfor3 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:47 am

Appreciate the love from the Toronto fans. I actually was pretty happy with this trade considering the alternative was CHA's offer. I'm hoping Gasol puts you guys over the top enough to pull out a championship.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#14 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:11 pm

No matter how many letter in Valanciunas, Gasol has a bigger name, so it's no surprise that the national sports media is congratulating Toronto for the trade, but looking a the stats - Jonny V is significantly better, and Delon Wright is a fine versatile backup. And they're both younger than Gasol. think it's a clear win for Memphis.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:12 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:I hope he plays at least 30mpg in Memphis. He'll easily be a 20/10 guy with solid defense.

You guys got a good one.

JV's per is pretty good but where he showed his value was taking over some playoffs series. Only this year he is he shooting from three but he was always money from the line if he gets those calls. The biggest waste of his ability under Casey was they didn't try to get him to the line. Derozan and especially Casey never made JV better but JV made JV better. Guaranteed Old School Stackhouse loves JV. JV is a talented big. Delon every time he seems to turn the corner and become a decent rotation player he gets injured. He is versatile and talented as well. CJ is a streaky shooter having a bad year and one has to wonder how he will fit in at his age. Funny guy though.

Not just the PER but the TS% - he's both more productive and considerably more efficient. And younger.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#16 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:32 pm

VCfor3 wrote:Appreciate the love from the Toronto fans. I actually was pretty happy with this trade considering the alternative was CHA's offer. I'm hoping Gasol puts you guys over the top enough to pull out a championship.

Hoping and praying after all these years of out LOL-ing the Clippers. Looking for Delon to improve his three ball and be one of the better swing guards in the game. Maybe JV will bring JJjr back to Canada to do his ice fishing sequel. JV is the coolest dude.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#17 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:38 pm

Ruzious wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

You guys got a good one.

Not just the PER but the TS% - he's both more productive and considerably more efficient. And younger.

The running joke when we had Casey as coach was that when JV would have Raps on a run Casey would call a timeout and then sub him out. JV finally said he thought he could dojust a little more than set screens. That was completely lost on Casey who wanted screens, rim protection and sit yer A down.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:50 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:

The running joke when we had Casey as coach was that when JV would have Raps on a run Casey would call a timeout and then sub him out. JV finally said he thought he could dojust a little more than set screens. That was completely lost on Casey who wanted screens, rim protection and sit yer A down.

I'm guessing Casey was used to guys that big not being particularly skilled - Alex Len types. But JV came into the NBA as a skilled big who could become... a Marc Gasol - and he's now every bit as good as Marc Gasol - it's just that nobody noticed.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#19 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:00 pm

Ruzious wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Not just the PER but the TS% - he's both more productive and considerably more efficient. And younger.

I'm guessing Casey was used to guys that big not being particularly skilled - Alex Len types. But JV came into the NBA as a skilled big who could become... a Marc Gasol - and he's now every bit as good as Marc Gasol - it's just that nobody noticed.

He was the only Raptor to take his game to another level in the playoffs.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#20 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:20 pm

Ruzious wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Not just the PER but the TS% - he's both more productive and considerably more efficient. And younger.

My favourite.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies