Per ESPN.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Re: Mike Conley Not Being Traded 

Post#2 » by SD2042 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 3:50 am

boogiesdad wrote:Per ESPN.

That didn't surprise me at all. I was on the side of not moving Conley for now. It's possible he will get moved during the summer. For whom is the question.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,486

Post#3 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:11 pm

Read on Twitter

In the face of so many guys league wide requesting (demanding?) trades, it's refreshing to hear about a guy who really wants to stay in a town with the franchise that drafted him.

If Grizz can get Culver or Romeo (or even Keldon Johnson) in this summer's draft, they'll have a really bright future with JJJ, JV and old man Conley running point.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:49 pm

Top Offseason Priorities for NBA's 10 Worst Teams

Memphis Grizzlies: Do Whatever Mike Conley Wants

If Mike Conley wants to hang around and mentor the Memphis Grizzlies' young players for another season, he's earned the right. And it'd be hard for Memphis to find a veteran better suited to the task.

Even though the Grizzlies are still actively trying to win games so they can convey their top-eight protected pick to the Celtics this summer, this is still very much a lost season.

That fact hasn't prevented Conley from setting an ideal example. He just earned the first Western Conference Player of the Week honor of his career. There'll be no mailing it in, no formation of bad habits, no late-season malaise as long as he's around. That'll be doubly important next year when the Grizzlies will have greater incentive to tank.

But if Conley wants to play for a contender, he deserves that, too. A trade request would be well within his rights, and it should spur quick action from the Grizzlies, too.

Structuring the offseason around Conley's desires isn't just a sentimental approach. It'll inform Memphis' other moves. If Conley is going to be part of the roster in 2019-20, the Grizzlies should seek out a few low-cost vets to improve the rotation. If he's not, the focus should be on younger talent and draft assets.

There aren't many players who warrant treatment like this, but Conley—the last vestige of Memphis' Grit 'n Grind era and a consummate professional—is a special case.
Bleacher Report
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#5 » by Whole Truth » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:19 pm

When players start to elevate one another, you're finding the right blend of talent & chemistry which is as important to winning as talent.

Jonas - screen assists (4.5) & points off screen assists (11.9)

Playing off of Jonas/Noah screen & roll - Conley has won Western player of the weak for the first time in his career. Bradley, has put up 5 career highs in 10 games with Memphis over a 10 year career & in turn their perimeter defense & slower grind has allowed the slow footed Jonas to be on court without affecting the teams defensive rating, which has been the knock on him.

Noah is rejuvenated & playing great who's a former DPOY which compliments Jonas weaknesses. Them splitting quality minutes does a lot of things from allowing for a higher level of play in shorter minutes to being a different quality look to insurance for injury. Whereas if Gasol were to injure himself, it'd be costly. With Rabb 3rd string & Jackson playing some small ball 5, I can confidently state the centre position is a strength for Memphis.

Memphis since trade have looked competitive even without Jackson who will & I expect to be improved in his sophomore year, I imagine him stretching the court for a Conley, Jonas pnr where Bruno is a total non factor offensively in some impressive wins recently.

They are 8 points better offensively, better on the boards, while the defense hasn't taken a hit. They can potentially be top 10 in both offense & defense next season, which should translate to a winning team. Raptors without Jonas also were not a strong rebounding team, he was the main person carrying them in that category, especially offensively.

I'd put good money Conley thinks this, that there's a good chance this roster can make some noise next year & it wouldn't shock me to see Noah next to be on board with returning.

What I hope is that Memphis doesn't waste a down season trying to convey what could be a top 10 pick. IMO, They need to select a quality 2 way wing or a future PG replacement for Conley to mentor where they will have multiple options to choose from if teams slip up in their assessment of talent, it would go a long way in solidifying a core base to build off of.

I believe this team returning with Jackson & a top 10 pick, will be conveying in the teens next year.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#6 » by VCfor3 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:50 pm

Whole Truth wrote:When players start to elevate one another, you're finding the right blend of talent & chemistry which is as important to winning as talent.

Jonas - screen assists (4.5) & points off screen assists (11.9)

Playing off of Jonas/Noah screen & roll - Conley has won Western player of the weak for the first time in his career. Bradley, has put up 5 career highs in 10 games with Memphis over a 10 year career & in turn their perimeter defense & slower grind has allowed the slow footed Jonas to be on court without affecting the teams defensive rating, which has been the knock on him.

Noah is rejuvenated & playing great who's a former DPOY which compliments Jonas weaknesses. Them splitting quality minutes does a lot of things from allowing for a higher level of play in shorter minutes to being a different quality look to insurance for injury. Whereas if Gasol were to injure himself, it'd be costly. With Rabb 3rd string & Jackson playing some small ball 5, I can confidently state the centre position is a strength for Memphis.

Memphis since trade have looked competitive even without Jackson who will & I expect to be improved in his sophomore year, I imagine him stretching the court for a Conley, Jonas pnr where Bruno is a total non factor offensively in some impressive wins recently.

They are 8 points better offensively, better on the boards, while the defense hasn't taken a hit. They can potentially be top 10 in both offense & defense next season, which should translate to a winning team. Raptors without Jonas also were not a strong rebounding team, he was the main person carrying them in that category, especially offensively.

I'd put good money Conley thinks this, that there's a good chance this roster can make some noise next year & it wouldn't shock me to see Noah next to be on board with returning.

What I hope is that Memphis doesn't waste a down season trying to convey what could be a top 10 pick. IMO, They need to select a quality 2 way wing or a future PG replacement for Conley to mentor where they will have multiple options to choose from if teams slip up in their assessment of talent, it would go a long way in solidifying a core base to build off of.

I believe this team returning with Jackson & a top 10 pick, will be conveying in the teens next year.

I think playing to convey is the right move since there is no guarantee Memphis conveys next season. If Conley gets injured we'd be toast. I also am kinda meh on a lot of the guys that may be available when we draft. I'm sure there will be a stud or two that comes out of the pack but I don't feel all that great about anyone outside of Zion. Personally I like Hunter even though he has a lower ceiling and is a little older but he may be gone by the time we'd pick.

Noah also may be pricing himself out of Memphis's range, I'm worried that the team is playing above their head right now, Bradley likely gets waived due to financial reasons (I also don't think he can keep up his current offensive level of play even if they kept him), and I don't want our FO to have another season of using future assets to try and help convey the pick (two good seconds for Holiday still stings).
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#7 » by Whole Truth » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:43 pm

VCfor3 wrote:I think playing to convey is the right move since there is no guarantee Memphis conveys next season. If Conley gets injured we'd be toast. I also am kinda meh on a lot of the guys that may be available when we draft. I'm sure there will be a stud or two that comes out of the pack but I don't feel all that great about anyone outside of Zion. Personally I like Hunter even though he has a lower ceiling and is a little older but he may be gone by the time we'd pick.

Noah also may be pricing himself out of Memphis's range, I'm worried that the team is playing above their head right now, Bradley likely gets waived due to financial reasons (I also don't think he can keep up his current offensive level of play even if they kept him), and I don't want our FO to have another season of using future assets to try and help convey the pick (two good seconds for Holiday still stings).

Understandable take & while it's important to plan long term, IMO it's best to deal with the known than unknown. Like you said, a lot can change in a very short span for better or worst. What if you convey the pick & your team is better next year?. You lose out on a potential core piece right?. A lot of solid players have been selected in this range from DeRozan to Curry to Mitchell 12th. You may not be enamored with anyone currently but it's all educated guessing. Your team may choose to tank next year & end up with a higher draft slot & you might select someone like the highly touted Wiggins #1 overall, who's not amounted to much from his hype.

This season is already wasted, the pick is right there & your team is playing competitive ball with Bruno giving your team not much production where JJ would be a massive upgrade. You draft either a wing or replacement PG & there's another potential asset without having to tank another full season. Memphis would have 4 young players with upside not currently playing in this solid stretch of basketball. (Jackson, top 8 pick, Anderson, Brooks). Who could all make a difference for the better.

If things happen to fall apart next year worst case scenario...

-Sell Noah off at the deadline. You get him to sign by telling him that you want to compete but if things fall apart you'd work with him to trade him to a suitable contender for younger assets & or a pick. He'll be on board because you give him both a chance to win with Memphis & if that fails a chance to play for a contender of partly his choosing, where he wont be feeling like he's stuck in a losing situation.

-Venture into trading off Conley for draft assets & cap space to make up for not having a 2020 pick.

-I don't know what it would take to retain Bradley but Jonas game was tailored by Casey to bolster the Raptors high usage guard play (DeRozan/Lowry). So it's no surprise both Conley & Bradley have had elevated production since Jonas has joined your roster & Noah isn't too bad himself either. (Jonas screens assists 4.5 & points off those screen assists 11.9). I can see Bradley maintaining this level or at least close to it. Keep in mind chemistry is weak at this point having played what, 10 games? which is something to consider.

Rookie Jonas, 3rd year pre Allstar Derozan & Lowry + depth was the Raptors starting base core built into their current contender. Masai attempted to blow that team up by trading Lowry to the Knicks & ended up with a 48 win season & 7, 50 win seasons since.

Memphis potentially have Jonas entering his prime, Jackson, (top 8th pick), Bradley, Conley & quality depth options in (Noah, Delon, Anderson, Brooks etc...) with potentially 4 young players counting the pick that have not played in this current solid stretch of play. That's a lot of positive variables.

Just make sure to trim the fat as a team is only as strong as it's weakest link, which is why rotations shorten in the playoffs.

Do that & I think your team would be conveying a pick in the teens next year. Just MO
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:22 pm

RealGM Wiretap wrote:The Memphis Grizzlies and Utah Jazz could pick up their trade talks involving Mike Conley around the draft

The Grizzlies and Jazz held serious talks on Conley leading to the deadline, but no trade was ultimately executed.

The Grizzlies have begun to fully shift to rebuilding mode with their trade of Marc Gasol to the Toronto Raptors.

Conley has an Early Termination Option on his contract for the 20-21 season that he's unlikely to exercise.

Via Kevin O'Connor/The Ringer
RealGM

Return to Memphis Grizzlies