Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#41 » by VCfor3 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:33 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
psman2 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Or Indy or Denver. If Indy offers up Sabonis or Denver offers Gary Harris that would be a much better route than Ball. Heck it may even be better than #4 depending on who LAL takes. I also would probably prefer future picks over Ball depending on the picks. Memphis may also keep Conley to mentor Ja for a few months and move him at the deadline if the best offer is just Ball. So unless LAL sweetens the deal or makes a package based around different youth (youth that would likely contribute more than a rookie) I think they may be forced to use the player drafted at #4. They can definitely try to have Memphis throw in something more since they are certainly overpaying but their situation may force them into such a deal unless they want to waste LBJ's window waiting for their young guys to develop.

Harris is overrated. Somehow the notion that he is a good defender has spread. He is at best a average defender with a short wingspan coming off a disastrous year. I don't think he is worth his contract as of right now. Having said that he is not bad player overall.. just at 20 million a year he is not worth forgoing other assets. I would take a gamble on MPJ, but I doubt they would move him.

The Indy trade is higher unlikely, they just don't have the cap space or deadweight contracts to make it work. The would have to say goodbye to too much depth to just make the numbers work. Plus I doubt they would give up Sabonis.

I wouldn't want Ball with Ja in hand, but I would consider Ingram from the Lakers if we get some more clarity on his medical issues. Ingram (or Kuz/ or 1st(s)) and a giant TPE that we could likely squeeze another 1st out of is nothing to scoff at.

If Ingram were healthy, no way they would trade him for an ageing PG, while giving up 20 something m in cap space. If Lakers agree to that deal it would be because they think he's damaged goods.

Suns want to pair Booker with a defensive PG, Ball fits that description, need for them. If Morant & Garland are off the table when Suns pick & Conley can net Ball from the Lakers, they should be able to flip him for the 6th pick.

I don't think we could even do a Ball for Conley straight up type deal until after FA so we will have to like whoever was taken at #6 but it is possible. I wouldn't be opposed to flipping ball to the Suns for a lightly protected 2020 1st instead. Maybe top 8, top 4, unp or something.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#42 » by Whole Truth » Thu May 16, 2019 6:40 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
psman2 wrote:
Harris is overrated. Somehow the notion that he is a good defender has spread. He is at best a average defender with a short wingspan coming off a disastrous year. I don't think he is worth his contract as of right now. Having said that he is not bad player overall.. just at 20 million a year he is not worth forgoing other assets. I would take a gamble on MPJ, but I doubt they would move him.

The Indy trade is higher unlikely, they just don't have the cap space or deadweight contracts to make it work. The would have to say goodbye to too much depth to just make the numbers work. Plus I doubt they would give up Sabonis.

I wouldn't want Ball with Ja in hand, but I would consider Ingram from the Lakers if we get some more clarity on his medical issues. Ingram (or Kuz/ or 1st(s)) and a giant TPE that we could likely squeeze another 1st out of is nothing to scoff at.

If Ingram were healthy, no way they would trade him for an ageing PG, while giving up 20 something m in cap space. If Lakers agree to that deal it would be because they think he's damaged goods.

Suns want to pair Booker with a defensive PG, Ball fits that description, need for them. If Morant & Garland are off the table when Suns pick & Conley can net Ball from the Lakers, they should be able to flip him for the 6th pick.

I don't think we could even do a Ball for Conley straight up type deal until after FA so we will have to like whoever was taken at #6 but it is possible. I wouldn't be opposed to flipping ball to the Suns for a lightly protected 2020 1st instead. Maybe top 8, top 4, unp or something.

I like that idea. What future pick do they owe trading for Bridges?.

It's quite possible letting go of Conley & maybe Noah Memphis can find themselves top 6 next year with another pick for leverage to move up if necessary over the volume of 2 picks ... Edwards.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#43 » by VCfor3 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:43 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

I like that idea. What future pick do they owe trading for Bridges?.

It's quite possible letting go of Conley & maybe Noah Memphis can find themselves top 6 next year with another pick for leverage to move up if necessary over the volume of 2 picks ... Edwards.

PHX owns all of their picks except 2021 2nd and also have an incoming 2020 MIL pick Top 7 protected.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#44 » by SD2042 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:46 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:As for Conley trades, teams I still see may have a legit chance of acquiring Conley based on VC's post

Bos-
Chi-albeit slim as I don't see them giving up OPJ
Den- This deal might have some legs
Orl-I'm thinking they will hold on to Gordon. However the deal might involve Fournier potentially
Minn-
Phx-

The Gordon suggestion was based off an article suggesting your team wanted to make room for Isaac & his contract was made specifically to deal him but things change, he was good in his first playoff appearance. I'm not a fan of Fournier, I'd decline that option. Not a good enough defender & too much tunnel vision.

Rumor out of Chicago was the 5th pick & how the draft would pan out for Ball. Chicago fell to 7th. If LA have interest in Conley for Ball I'd flip him for the 7th pick. Lakers have no salaries to match so Memphis would get a large trade exception as well if they fail to land Kyrie

What's the Denver deal?

Believe me when I tell you I'm no Fournier fan myself to the reasons you already listed. I think the Magic may hold on to Gordon at least one more season until they see how Issac's game develops. If the Magic FO are satisify with how his game develops, then I can see them moving on from Gordon. Right nnow it's a year early to do the move. Fournier on the other hand could be a player the Magic could move on from. For his offensive output, he doesn't do a lot of extra skills that makes him a great impact for the team. As such I think he could be moved from the Magic. The problem comes down to his value on the market.

What scares me about Ball is his durability as his history of injuries is concern. And where's his head at when it comes down to the saga he's enduring right now.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#45 » by jman3134 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:35 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
jman3134 wrote:I would rather have Keldon Johnson than Hunter. Hunter looked great in the championship game because he finally hit shots. By no means does he have the burst to take players off the dribble at the next level. He can play fundamentally sound defense, but isn't exceptionally quick.

If we are going to draft anyone in the 5-10 range, Culver should be our guy just based on his mental approach to the game, as he will be more than the player he is at the collegiate level. While he isn't enough of a finisher to really make a huge impact immediately imho, his knowledge of defensive schemes will help him to make an instant impact on D. He is a way more versatile defender than Hunter also imo.

I actually prefer Hero, but wouldn't trade Mike Conley for him straight up at his current value. Anything outside of Garland/RJ has too many question marks in this draft class. If we are to trade Conley, we need to do this for an instant impact player. Under normal circumstances, the Knicks would probably ask for more for RJ. However, if KD comes in (and not Kyrie), they will be looking to surround him with the best talent possible. Conley is there on both ends of the floor.

If we can't deal Conley, how else could we create a package worthy to grab #3? 2 future 1sts? Or maybe we do a three team package.

I like Johnson more than Hunter & Culver but with him projected 11 in mock drafts, it's why I had him picked after Hunter who's mocked higher. I also like the idea of drafting Hayes in that 5-10 range. Think it would solidify your teams front court for years. I hope Memphis doesn't pigeon hold Jackson as a modern day 5. So after 3yrs when Jonas is 30, Hayes could slip in as the starting 5 to be potentially the best defensive front court in the league. (I question his BBIQ though).

Concerning Hero I wasn't suggesting trading Conley straight up for him. The trade was Conley to LA for Ball & a 23m TE. Ball was flipped to either Suns or Chicago for the 6th or 7th pick. It's with the trade exception that I had Memphis taking back some unwanted salary to land a mid to late pick for Johnson or Hero depending on how much salary they take back & position of the pick. Hero is mocked late lotto

I'm convinced that 3rd pick is earmarked for a Davis trade. Knicks land Davis, it will help them entice/sell Durant & Kyrie who's aready rumored to be interested despite Knicks track record & current state.

I prefer Culver mainly for his basketball IQ and other intangibles. I think he has the work ethic and intelligence to improve significantly in this league. As it stands now, I am not overly enthused with anything besides his team defense. Still, this basketball intelligence, to me, is what puts him above K Johnson.

I can't say I agree with you on Hayes. Why draft him when there will be a glut of proven Center free agents on the market that we can have for a fraction of what we would have paid years ago? The death of the 2 big lineup means that there will be a glut of proven centers in free agency. Hayes is way too raw to command any playing time in the NBA atm.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#46 » by Whole Truth » Thu May 16, 2019 11:09 pm

jman3134 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
jman3134 wrote:I would rather have Keldon Johnson than Hunter. Hunter looked great in the championship game because he finally hit shots. By no means does he have the burst to take players off the dribble at the next level. He can play fundamentally sound defense, but isn't exceptionally quick.

If we are going to draft anyone in the 5-10 range, Culver should be our guy just based on his mental approach to the game, as he will be more than the player he is at the collegiate level. While he isn't enough of a finisher to really make a huge impact immediately imho, his knowledge of defensive schemes will help him to make an instant impact on D. He is a way more versatile defender than Hunter also imo.

I actually prefer Hero, but wouldn't trade Mike Conley for him straight up at his current value. Anything outside of Garland/RJ has too many question marks in this draft class. If we are to trade Conley, we need to do this for an instant impact player. Under normal circumstances, the Knicks would probably ask for more for RJ. However, if KD comes in (and not Kyrie), they will be looking to surround him with the best talent possible. Conley is there on both ends of the floor.

If we can't deal Conley, how else could we create a package worthy to grab #3? 2 future 1sts? Or maybe we do a three team package.

I like Johnson more than Hunter & Culver but with him projected 11 in mock drafts, it's why I had him picked after Hunter who's mocked higher. I also like the idea of drafting Hayes in that 5-10 range. Think it would solidify your teams front court for years. I hope Memphis doesn't pigeon hold Jackson as a modern day 5. So after 3yrs when Jonas is 30, Hayes could slip in as the starting 5 to be potentially the best defensive front court in the league. (I question his BBIQ though).

Concerning Hero I wasn't suggesting trading Conley straight up for him. The trade was Conley to LA for Ball & a 23m TE. Ball was flipped to either Suns or Chicago for the 6th or 7th pick. It's with the trade exception that I had Memphis taking back some unwanted salary to land a mid to late pick for Johnson or Hero depending on how much salary they take back & position of the pick. Hero is mocked late lotto

I'm convinced that 3rd pick is earmarked for a Davis trade. Knicks land Davis, it will help them entice/sell Durant & Kyrie who's aready rumored to be interested despite Knicks track record & current state.

I prefer Culver mainly for his basketball IQ and other intangibles. I think he has the work ethic and intelligence to improve significantly in this league. As it stands now, I am not overly enthused with anything besides his team defense. Still, this basketball intelligence, to me, is what puts him above K Johnson.

I can't say I agree with you on Hayes. Why draft him when there will be a glut of proven Center free agents on the market that we can have for a fraction of what we would have paid years ago? The death of the 2 big lineup means that there will be a glut of proven centers in free agency. Hayes is way too raw to command any playing time in the NBA atm.

NBA draft net on Johnson - Athletic wing who plays with a lot of heart and determination... A winner... A natural leader with very good intangibles... does the dirty work on both ends... moves well off the ball...

Everything you stated about liking Culver applies to why I like Johnson. His floor IMO is a 3 & D wing that will leave it on the court on both ends but I think he has a higher upside than Culver. Shot 38% from 3 while being labelled as inconsistent from range. Culver shot 34% from range. I think Johnson will carve a career out behing the arc in the pros with his form.

When Jonas entered the league he was slim, quick & good in space. Raptors determined he needed to bulk diet to match up to the Hibberts of the NBA, then the league seemingly altered overnight. I believe in setting trends than following them. Hayes & 3J would be a big defensive front court that would have the versatility to guard the perimeter. Add Jonas efficient scoring bully ball to that dimension & I love what your front court could potentially be. It also give Memphis alot of flexibility to determine the teams direction once they've built the core group of players to move forward with.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#47 » by jman3134 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:19 am

SD2042 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
S.A.Smith stated their was a 95% probability that Durant & Kyrie will end up in NY, unless Durant somehow backs out. That would take Conley off the table for NY. On the jump, they said NO's is not interested in dealing with LA, that's big & why I think this is the reason Memphis came out early to make their intentions known so early as to who their pick will be at #2. Knicks/NO's now know they will be able to swap Davis for Zions best friend RJ amid his threats to return to Duke. As a result LA will have missed out on Durant, Kyrie & Davis forcing their hand on where they take the Lebron era. Do they admit failure & draft youth or do they make a desperation move to land a good vet PG who can actually shoot via trade & target B type FA's with their remaining Cap.

Memphis can get value out of LA but I think they should & would offer up a package for Love first. Question is would the 4th or Ingram headline that deal & or would a deal require both. What I think would be more likely for Memphis would be Ball & a 23m TE for Conley. If Cavs don't ask for both Ingram & the 4th then I'd target Hunter for Conley.

With Morant & potentially Garland off the table, Suns or Chicago might offer the 6th or 7th pick for Ball. His playmaking & defense would be a good fit beside Booker. Then Memphis can use the trade exception on a team looking to shed salary for a pick in the 10-20 range draft a Keldon Johnson or Herro netting them 2 draft picks for Conley.

An Ideal scenario built off of this is, Memphis draft #2 Morant, trade Conley to LA for #4 Hunter or #6/7 Hayes, use the TE to net a pick in te 10-20 range select a SG like Johnson or Hero depending on which team is desperate to dump salary that's not enamored with the draft.

All of these options are extremely underwhelming, having put my diligence in on Hunter/K Johnson. K Johnson we can acquire for a likely late 1st, which is the equivalent of a 2nd in an ordinary draft. While I like him more than draft prognosticators, his game is eons away from having any impact in the NBA aside from the fact that he guards multiple positions.

J-man, what are your thoughts on Tyus Battle of Syracuse?

Hey SD! Sorry, didn't see enough of Syracuse to formulate a solid opinion.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#48 » by jman3134 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:24 am

Whole Truth wrote:
jman3134 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

NBA draft net on Johnson - Athletic wing who plays with a lot of heart and determination... A winner... A natural leader with very good intangibles... does the dirty work on both ends... moves well off the ball...

Everything you stated about liking Culver applies to why I like Johnson. His floor IMO is a 3 & D wing that will leave it on the court on both ends but I think he has a higher upside than Culver. Shot 38% from 3 while being labelled as inconsistent from range. Culver shot 34% from range. I think Johnson will carve a career out behing the arc in the pros with his form.

When Jonas entered the league he was slim, quick & good in space. Raptors determined he needed to bulk diet to match up to the Hibberts of the NBA, then the league seemingly altered overnight. I believe in setting trends than following them. Hayes & 3J would be a big defensive front court that would have the versatility to guard the perimeter. Add Jonas efficient scoring bully ball to that dimension & I love what your front court could potentially be. It also give Memphis alot of flexibility to determine the teams direction once they've built the core group of players to move forward with.

Except K Johnson is a poor passer and doesn't really involve his teammates. Culver is way better on the defensive end and has a much higher IQ there.

While I would have liked to have seen more Hayes, what I did see reminded me how raw he is. He has the physical tools to play, but is basically a blank canvas in terms of his development. I would much rather focus on our wing slots and either trade out of the draft or trade down. I see some underhyped talent late in the draft (though these guys could potentially climb the charts late). I was at the PIT and several guys stood out and could receive some rotation minutes almost immediately with limited development needed.
Mtowngrizz
Freshman
And1: 76

Post#49 » by Mtowngrizz » Sat May 18, 2019 2:28 am

Opening day starting lineup:
G- Conley
G- Ja Morant(still can't believe we actually getting this dude >8-])
F- Kyle Anderson
F- Jaren
C- JV
Don't want Ja with the pressure of starting at PG his rookie season. He and Conley will take turns being the lead guards for the team. This will also show teams that we aren't desperate to trade Conley so the teams that strike out in free angency will up their offers for Mike.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#50 » by VCfor3 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:25 am

Mtowngrizz wrote:Opening day starting lineup:
G- Conley
F- Kyle Anderson
F- Jaren
C- JV
Don't want Ja with the pressure of starting at PG his rookie season. He and Conley will take turns being the lead guards for the team. This will also show teams that we aren't desperate to trade Conley so the teams that strike out in free angency will up their offers for Mike.

Whether we move Conley before/during the draft or after teams strike out in FA, I sincerely doubt he will be on our team come opening day. Hopefully we retain Wright for a decent price so that he can help take the pressure off Ja. Using Anderson as a playmaker could help with that as well.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#51 » by Whole Truth » Sat May 18, 2019 11:37 am

jman3134 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
jman3134 wrote:

Except K Johnson is a poor passer and doesn't really involve his teammates. Culver is way better on the defensive end and has a much higher IQ there.

While I would have liked to have seen more Hayes, what I did see reminded me how raw he is. He has the physical tools to play, but is basically a blank canvas in terms of his development. I would much rather focus on our wing slots and either trade out of the draft or trade down. I see some underhyped talent late in the draft (though these guys could potentially climb the charts late). I was at the PIT and several guys stood out and could receive some rotation minutes almost immediately with limited development needed.

Johnson can stand to improve his playmaking ability among other things but it's not non existent. Culver is more refined & currently better defensively but Johnson has a lot of potential in that area as well. I'm basing my opinion on projecting Johnson potential in all aspects of his skillset. It can't be quantified however because it's my opinion of his potential which is wide ranging & will differ from other opinions. It's also interesting that Draft net mock has Garland going to Suns & Culver 7 to Chicago ... On another Memphis forum a poster claimed he heard Conley would be traded draft night... Conley for Culver could be a possibility. I don't know though, Hayes might have the most potential in the 5-10 range to over look him for potential fit. Do you know if Memphis have any workouts scheduled?

If they start working out certain players, It will become evident what the potential trade is.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#52 » by Whole Truth » Sat May 18, 2019 11:51 am

G- Conley
F- Kyle Anderson
F- Jaren
C- JV

It would be a mistake for several reasons to keep Conley having lucked into JA. Wright is obviously not Conley but he's good enough to take the pressure off JA if necessary, as Vic mentions.

If Memphis trade Conley, they can potentially add another pick. By throwing JA into the fire, they will get a clear indication of what they actually have with their young core & will have a better idea of need, nothing will be masked by Conley's play. Last but not least, stripping the vets off the team now that they have 2 core pieces Memphis can concentrate on adding a 3rd top 6 pick next year than worrying about the 2021 pick. (Plus whatever return Conley nets in trade).

It's for this reason I like the idea of potentially drafting Hayes higher upside in the 5-10 range that a Conley trade might land over fit …

Follow up the Conley trade by using Bradleys partially guaranteed contract to target a team wanting to shed salary where they believe the draft drops off for them, target Hero in the mid to late lotto to net a shooter.

Conley for #6/7. Bradley partially guaranteed salary dump for 15-20 range, Memphis stripped of vets land back top 6 next year.

Hypothetically, If Conley can net one of the 4/6/7 pick. (Hunter/Hayes), If Bradleys partially contract can net Herro 15-20 range & the stripping of vets position for the 2020 draft.

Ja
Edwards/Hampton (2020 pick) / Herro
(Hunter)
3J
Jonas / (Hayes)

Would you care if Memphis have to convey the 2021 pick as a result of this direction?
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,819

Post#53 » by psman2 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:06 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
G- Conley
F- Kyle Anderson
F- Jaren
C- JV

It would be a mistake for several reasons to keep Conley having lucked into JA. Wright is obviously not Conley but he's good enough to take the pressure off JA if necessary, as Vic mentions.

If Memphis trade Conley, they can potentially add another pick. By throwing JA into the fire, they will get a clear indication of what they actually have with their young core & will have a better idea of need, nothing will be masked by Conley's play. Last but not least, stripping the vets off the team now that they have 2 core pieces Memphis can concentrate on adding a 3rd top 6 pick next year than worrying about the 2021 pick. (Plus whatever return Conley nets in trade).

It's for this reason I like the idea of potentially drafting Hayes higher upside in the 5-10 range that a Conley trade might land over fit …

Follow up the Conley trade by using Bradleys partially guaranteed contract to target a team wanting to shed salary where they believe the draft drops off for them, target Hero in the mid to late lotto to net a shooter.

Conley for #6/7. Bradley partially guaranteed salary dump for 15-20 range, Memphis stripped of vets land back top 6 next year.

Hypothetically, If Conley can net one of the 4/6/7 pick. (Hunter/Hayes), If Bradleys partially contract can net Herro 15-20 range & the stripping of vets position for the 2020 draft.

Ja
(Hunter)
3J
Jonas / (Hayes)

Would you care if Memphis have to convey the 2021 pick as a result of this direction?

Can you expound on how you think Bradley can net us a pick in the 15-20 range. Unless we guarantee his full contract the most we can take in contracts is only a little over the guarantee. These rules changed several seasons ago.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#54 » by Whole Truth » Sat May 18, 2019 3:25 pm

psman2 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
G- Conley
F- Kyle Anderson
F- Jaren
C- JV

Ja
(Hunter)
3J
Jonas / (Hayes)

Can you expound on how you think Bradley can net us a pick in the 15-20 range. Unless we guarantee his full contract the most we can take in contracts is only a little over the guarantee. These rules changed several seasons ago.

You'll have to forgive me, Raptors have not been in the lotto for 7 seasons, I was not up to date on the rule change.
psman2
General Manager

Post#55 » by psman2 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:40 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
psman2 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

Ja
(Hunter)
3J
Jonas / (Hayes)

You'll have to forgive me, Raptors have not been in the lotto for 7 seasons, I was not up to date on the rule change.

I don’t see the relevance of being in the lotto or not about a rule change regarding trading unguaranteed contracts. But yes the rule changed and I think JR Smith is the last contract left signed before the rule changed that can still use the full contract value without guaranteeing the whole thing.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#56 » by Whole Truth » Sat May 18, 2019 3:54 pm

psman2 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
psman2 wrote:

I don’t see the relevance of being in the lotto or not about a rule change regarding trading unguaranteed contracts. But yes the rule changed and I think JR Smith is the last contract left signed before the rule changed that can still use the full contract value without guaranteeing the whole thing.

The purpose of my suggestion to trade Bradley was to strip the team of proven vets so they have a better chance of positioning, landing top 6 next season.
psman2
General Manager

Post#57 » by psman2 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:08 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
psman2 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

The purpose of my suggestion to trade Bradley was to strip the team of proven vets so they have a better chance of positioning, landing top 6 next season.

Bradley played well for us but if we choose to keep him him I doubt he will contribute much to the overall win total. I would guess right now we are releasing him, but if the Conley trade leaves us with plenty of breathing room under the tax we could decide to keep him. Without Conley I think we are a lock to have a bottom 5 record and could easily either trade some vets at the deadline or buy them out if it makes sense. I think keeping good vets in the rotation is important for the growth of our young players and worth having around even if our lottery percentages change by a percent or two.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#58 » by Whole Truth » Sat May 18, 2019 4:22 pm

psman2 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
psman2 wrote:

Bradley played well for us but if we choose to keep him him I doubt he will contribute much to the overall win total. I would guess right now we are releasing him, but if the Conley trade leaves us with plenty of breathing room under the tax we could decide to keep him. Without Conley I think we are a lock to have a bottom 5 record and could easily either trade some vets at the deadline or buy them out if it makes sense. I think keeping good vets in the rotation is important for the growth of our young players and worth having around even if our lottery percentages change by a percent or two.

I'm not too sure this team is a lock for bottom 5 without Conley.

What if Morant comes in & balls out the gate?, possible. What if Jaren takes a leap in his game working with Garnett?, possible. I already know some Memphis fans still don't realize what they got in the Gasol trade with both Jonas & Delon as some have suggested not retain him. Your team also has young quality depth, other young players that are still improving.

I'm not as sure as you but I like the new lotto system where there's still a chance. The good news in this is most of the talent is in the top 6 where the pick is protected putting your team in a good position to pick quality or convey where it drops off for a win win situation.
psman2
General Manager

Post#59 » by psman2 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:36 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
psman2 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:

What if Morant comes in & balls out the gate?, possible. What if Jaren takes a leap in his game working with Garnett?, possible. I already know some Memphis fans still don't realize what they got in the Gasol trade with both Jonas & Delon as some have suggested not retain him. Your team also has young quality depth, other young players that are still improving.

I'm not as sure as you but I like the new lotto system where there's still a chance. The good news in this is most of the talent is in the top 6 where the pick is protected putting your team in a good position to pick quality or convey where it drops off for a win win situation.

I would be thrilled if Ja and JJJ are so good out of the gate that we win a lot more than expected, that would be a good outcome for me even if we convey the pick. I just don’t see a rookie PG leading a team without a top 50 player to anything but a bottom 5 record. We can strategically rest vets and play with the rotations later in the year some to ensure a bad enough record.

I could see us losing Wright if someone comes strong in FA too if another team wants to gamble he can be their starter, I think it is 50/50 he is back at this point. Under 10 we keep him likely over that I think we let him walk.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#60 » by Whole Truth » Sat May 18, 2019 7:22 pm

psman2 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
psman2 wrote:

I would be thrilled if Ja and JJJ are so good out of the gate that we win a lot more than expected, that would be a good outcome for me even if we convey the pick. I just don’t see a rookie PG leading a team without a top 50 player to anything but a bottom 5 record. We can strategically rest vets and play with the rotations later in the year some to ensure a bad enough record.

I could see us losing Wright if someone comes strong in FA too if another team wants to gamble he can be their starter, I think it is 50/50 he is back at this point. Under 10 we keep him likely over that I think we let him walk.

Considering Jackson was expected to be the rawest of the big men prospects at 19 this past season, his production should have been somewhat unexpected!. The only thing I see potentially holding Ja back from jumping into the league with his skillset is his slim frame & strength but my overall point was you never know. Educated guessing, is not exact science. What is not a guess, is Jonas play was not an anomaly for Memphis. It's his game extended in mins allowed & he's still improving defensively so there's room for him to improve as well.

Some facts about Jonas advanced defensive #'s that Memphis fans might not know.

Jonas has played 11,844 mins against starters & 457 against reserves over 7 seasons, where DeRozan, Lowry & most players get a benefit of playing against weaker apposing benches for stretches. Most of those 457 mins came this past season which elevated his numbers. Under the guise of demotion.

He didn't finish games either in favor of defensive alternative/specialist under a defensive coach who didn't value his offense. If he started games off poorly he was not afforded opportunity to finish, if DeRozan was struggling as a high usage scorer, poor defender & Jonas was playing well individually, Its Jonas that would get the hook for more defensive stops. All of his minutes were tied to playing with DeRozan, there was no separation for Jonas to play with a defensive perimeter upgrade to compliment the weaknesses in his game. Players can have hot & cold stretches, Jonas was never afforded the opportunity to play out of a cold stretch as Raptors were contenders out the gate. Part reason was systematic, to minimize these two players defensive flaws & Jonas does have some, Casey had Jonas sitting back in the post to give up the mid range jumper. This was in part to protect DeRozan giving up blow by's, guarding in space, failing to close out & to have Jonas in good rebounding position. Jonas allowing that mid range jumper, was by design.

Both Noah & Gasol were former DPOY's, here there defensive ratings with Memphis compared with Jonas.

Gasol 106 Drtg
Noah 105 Drtg
Jonas 105 Drtg

How is it with a depleted Memphis roster they remained top 5 in defense with Jonas starting?. How is it, Raptors manage to be top 5 in defense in the East with Jonas starting?. Offense & Rebounding, are a part of playing defense, Jonas efficiency, rebounding offsets a lot of his defensive short comings. Problem is under Casey they never took advantage of his efficiency. He was there to cleanup the high usage lower efficiency of DeRozan & Lowry, set picks as a garbage man big, which eliminated a good portion of his strength as a player.

In short, if resigned, Jonas will be good for Memphis. If Jaren, Ja excel with some solid contribution from Memphis quality depth I think they will string together wins. I know it was the East but Jonas, DeRozan & Lowry with holes at SF/PF were a 50 win core for 6 seasons. Jaren, is better than anything Raptors had at PF up till Pascals emergence this year. They had a revolving door at SF till Kawhi this year. Bradley may not be as good a scorer as Derozan but under high usage he could replicate what DeRozan brought to the table while being considerably better defensively. Lowry has declined statistically over the years but he impacts the game mainly with his intangibles. His pnr with Jonas was the Raptors most effective, efficient offense. Ja comes in with his athleticism & passing coming off Jonas screening ability if he has any consistency from range out the gate best believe I think this team will be better than expected. Put versatile defenders who can seamlessly switch, shoot the 3 ball around a Jonas/JA pnr screening action & yeah, I can envision unexpected success.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies