ImageImage

Potential Offseason Moves

Moderator: SD2042

Whole Truth
Veteran
And1: 2,122

Re: Potential Offseason Moves 

Post#481 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:22 pm

SD2042 wrote:I am with you on the rest except the Ben McLemore part. If Houston expects to replace Gordon's shooting prowess with BMac, then it's a terrible decision. BMac has issues of consistency. Plus he continues to go through the revolving door when it comes to coaches. I think 8 coaches in his six year career? That alone goes to instability towards his development and self-confidence. If a player goes through too many turnovers in coaches in their early years, you can imagine the instability that results from such cases like BMac. I can't call him an Eric Gordon replacement. If anything, I can't imagine the Rox needing to replace Gordon in the first place unless a better player than Gordon comes into the situation.

As for this Guduric kid they signed, he definitely slipped under the radar here. I guess with all the fury oof the NBA free agency and trades, the kid was missed on the news ticker. Never seem him play and outside of scouting reports, who to say what he really is capable of as he adjusts to the NBA style of play.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/nba/grizzlies/2019/07/01/nba-free-agency-marko-guduric-signs-memphis-grizzlies/1619053001/

That article is from July 1st. Several things have changed since the start of the month. Most notably, Guduric's signing makes it 18 not 17 active & Memphis have no intention of buying out Iggy.

Which means, If Iggy is swapped in a 1-1 deal, Memphis would have to buyout all of Hill, Howard & Plumlee to get to 15 but would be left with no depth behind Jonas in doing so.

I think Rabb might get thrown in a deal as a cheap filler to open his roster spot to resign Noah.

Guduric, shot near 50% on 3 APG, definitely worth a look. Valuing IQ & Spacing. Could be a very under-rated pickup, especially if he proves not to be a defensive liability.

Eric Gordon shot 40% from the field, 36% from 3 on 14 APG & 20% usage. He's a low efficiency, volume scorer. I think Houston will use Mclemore mainly as a spot shooter in that 6th man role. (He shot 41% from 3 last year for the Kings, when he played). I think Houston will be running with Harden or Westbrook at all times. So they reduce Gordons volume shooting into a spot shooter & trade him to net Iggy who also plays within what's available. Lower usage, higher efficiency ... this IMO to offset 2 ball dominant gaurds splitting units for a full 48. On top of him being a significantly cheaper option, which helps the financial aspect of possibly trading for Iggy, considering where they are with the luxury tax. Like several other Houston players, his contract is non guaranteed.

Houston have nearly 20m in non guaranteed contracts.
Whole Truth
Veteran

Post#482 » by Whole Truth » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:00 pm

Whole Truth
Veteran

Post#483 » by Whole Truth » Tue Aug 6, 2019 1:28 am

“If Houston is willing to trade, it has to involve Iman Shumpert. But the asset Memphis is obviously looking for is a first-round pick. They haven’t been able to get a team to cough one up for a 35-year-old wing, which is why Iguodala remains on the roster. Houston already sent two firsts to move Chris Paul’s contract, would they be content sending another? They’ve been hesitant so far. Frankly, I don’t see why they should. I’d argue that Shumpert’s contract and two seconds should get it done if Memphis just wants something in return.”

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-rumors-houston-unlikely-to-trade-for-andre-iguodala-but-could-make-deal-if-grizzlies-asking-price-comes-down/

There's the problem, Memphis don't just want something in return, they want a first. If Houston want Iggy, they need to satisfy the asking price. He's in demand & clearly the better player, which is why Houston is willing to S&T Shumpert. Memphis don't owe anyone in this situation any favors.

If Shumpert & a 2nd, is the best Houston can do, Memphis are better off holding onto the 3 time champion for his presence & influence. Which for me has more value than a couple 2nds that Memphis just threw away, not having an open roster spot to retain Holiday. So if an open roster spot was worth Memphis losing the 2 2nds they traded for Holiday, they're better off just buying out Iggy with an over crowded roster for an open roster spot.

If Houston is sticking on what is most likely a late 2020 pick, they deserve to fall short, again.
First Take
Ballboy
And1: 22

Post#484 » by First Take » Tue Aug 6, 2019 4:24 am

I wonder what Memphis plans on doing with the former 3x DPOY in Dwight Howard. Memphis fans, do you guys have any idea what is going on with him? I know they are looking to either trade or buy him out. I would like him to land in Miami, Lakers, Toronto or San San Antonio. I wouldn't mind him on the Clippers, I know they need a legit center.
Favorite Basketball Players: LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, Dwight Howard, Kawhi Leonard
Favorite Analyst: Stephen A. Smith, Skip Bayless, Shannon Sharpe
Favorite Basketball Teams: Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs, Toronto Raptors, Los Angeles Lakers
Whole Truth
Veteran

Post#485 » by Whole Truth » Tue Aug 6, 2019 2:46 pm

First Take wrote:I wonder what Memphis plans on doing with the former 3x DPOY in Dwight Howard. Memphis fans, do you guys have any idea what is going on with him? I know they are looking to either trade or buy him out. I would like him to land in Miami, Lakers, Toronto or San San Antonio. I wouldn't mind him on the Clippers, I know they need a legit center.

Memphis have 18 active players & need to open 3 spots to meet regulation. They're not buying out Iggy's 17m. He's in demand, has value both in trade or to Memphis, if they decide to hold onto him.

There's 3 potential buyout options to cut the roster down to regulation - Plumlee, Howard, Hill.

In the decision to keep Iggy or trade him 1-1, means having to buy out both centre options to meet regulation, which would leave Memphis thin behind Jonas even with 3J playing some minutes at C. Maybe, Memphis intend on Clarke playing some mins at C as well...

The roster is overloaded at the forward position - 3J, Clarke, Bruno, Crowder, Iggy, Anderson, Hill, Josh Jackson. Even if they buyout Hill, there's still not enough available minutes. This is why I think there will be a consolidation trade at the forward position.

I have no links but I think with the roster imbalance & overload, the fact that none have been bought out, Memphis might be holding onto their buyout contracts (potential expiring fillers) for a consolidation trade, a big contract or some unwanted salary, that comes with pick compensation when the trade exception on these recently traded players are lifted Sept 4th.
Whole Truth
Veteran

Post#486 » by Whole Truth » Tue Aug 6, 2019 2:53 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Memphis Grizzlies