Memphis Tigers Named #1 College Class in the Country

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Memphis Tigers Named #1 College Class in the Country 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Sun May 19, 2019 12:43 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/253840/Memphis-Named-#1-Class-In-Country-Following-Precious-Achiuwa-Commitment

What are some of your thoughts on the Memphis Tigers essentially becoming the #1 class in the country?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Memphis Tigers Named #1 College Class in the Country 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:38 pm

SD2042 wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/253840/Memphis-Named-#1-Class-In-Country-Following-Precious-Achiuwa-Commitment

What are some of your thoughts on the Memphis Tigers essentially becoming the #1 class in the country?

What is crazy is that Rayjon Tucker isn't included in the ranking calculation since he is a grad transfer, but he is the best or 2nd best grad transfer. If for some reason he does stay in the draft, RJ Hampton may join Memphis to replace him per a report I saw the other day. Penny and his staff are killing it! Should be a fun season to watch while seeing what Ja and JJJ can do together. Memphians are ready for the fall ha.
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#3 » by boogiesdad » Sun May 19, 2019 4:42 pm

SD, it's been years since we have stickied a Memphis Tiger thread, but it may be time again.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#4 » by SD2042 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:33 am

boogiesdad wrote:SD, it's been years since we have stickied a Memphis Tiger thread, but it may be time again.

I can agree to that boogie. Perhaps it's that time once again.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#5 » by SD2042 » Mon May 20, 2019 5:53 am

VCfor3 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/253840/Memphis-Named-#1-Class-In-Country-Following-Precious-Achiuwa-Commitment

What is crazy is that Rayjon Tucker isn't included in the ranking calculation since he is a grad transfer, but he is the best or 2nd best grad transfer. If for some reason he does stay in the draft, RJ Hampton may join Memphis to replace him per a report I saw the other day. Penny and his staff are killing it! Should be a fun season to watch while seeing what Ja and JJJ can do together. Memphians are ready for the fall ha.

I almost rather see Tucker as a Tiger so he can be part of the run this fall. Plus he can improve his worth for the 2020 NBA Draft next summer. If not, RJ Hampton can join rank and ride the wave this fall.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#6 » by VCfor3 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:05 pm

SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

I almost rather see Tucker as a Tiger so he can be part of the run this fall. Plus he can improve his worth for the 2020 NBA Draft next summer. If not, RJ Hampton can join rank and ride the wave this fall.

I think Tucker's experience may be more important than people realize. I'd love to have RJ, but our team with Tucker may ultimately be better.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#7 » by jman3134 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:19 pm

My thought is that the rating is definitely justified. I personally believe the Duke and UK classes this year are incredibly overrated. Duke's success will come down to the development of their existing players with Tre Jones, Javin DeLaurier, Marques Bolden, Jordan Goldwire, and Jack White in particular. Carey to me is one of the most overrated recruits in recent memory and the Carey-Hurt frontcourt is hardly an intimidating front line from a defensive standpoint. They will need their existing talent to step up if they even want to be top 20 imo. And of course Stanley and Moore will have to have big years from an offensive standpoint.

As for Memphis, the play of Boogie Ellis and potentially Hampton will be absolutely the key to the Tigers' success. They have tremendous interior talent, but need the guards to get them the ball and be able to shoot from the perimeter to space.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,326

Post#8 » by Worst_to_First » Sat May 25, 2019 1:41 pm

Am rooting for the Memphis Tigers to win the NCAA tournament next year.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#9 » by VCfor3 » Thu Nov 7, 2019 11:22 pm

Wiseman and Memphis looked good on Tuesday granted that is probably their easiest game all year. Look forward to seeing how they do against Oregon next week.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#10 » by Whole Truth » Fri Nov 8, 2019 9:19 am

Wiseman for a 7 footer looked quick, agile & coordinated. However his debut performance was tempered by the fact no forward on Carolina state was over 6'8". 6 offensive boards, some easy put backs ... none the less a sign of good teams & good players is doing what is expected, nice start for the big man & Memphis.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#11 » by SD2042 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:10 am

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#12 » by VCfor3 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 3:38 am

Again it was against lesser competition, but the team looked great tonight. Too bad the Wiseman thing will mess everything up. Here's to hoping he finds a way to fight it and win.
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#13 » by boogiesdad » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:08 pm

Just looked on 247 Sports and ESPN to get an update on how the 2020 recruiting class is coming and it's looking really rough for us right now. It's a given that Precious is gone and a probable Top 10 pick. We do have Stokes that will be ready to play starting next year, but its not a comparable talent level. I also fear that Boogie might transfer after what looks like a horrible year. All that said, as of 1/19/20, here are the non committed players in the Top 100 that we are in the mix with currently:

Jalen Green- 6-5, CG, 5 Star from Napa, CA- Currently looks like Memphis is leading the way over Oregon.
Greg Brown- 6-8, PF, 5 Star from Austin, TX, Currently looks like Texas is leading the way.
Kyree Walker- 6-4, SF, 4 Star from Phoenix, AZ, Lots of teams in the mix.
Kenyon Martin Jr, 6-8, PF, IMG Academy, Lots of teams in the mix including Cincinnati ( I could see a combo package of adding his dad as an asst to work with him and the big men to get this deal done).

Most other players are signed or verbally committed in the Top 100. That doesn't mean someone couldn't change their mind like Jeffries and Ellis did this pat year and come to Memphis.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#14 » by VCfor3 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:02 pm

I think Brown and Green are our big hopes. There is a real chance Green follows RJ Hampton's route and goes to Australia though. I think we need Green to help ourselves with Brown. And yeah I'd be worried a bit about Boogie wanting to transfer if things don't turn around some this season for him.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies