ImageImage

Breaking News: Conley To Utah (update on PG 3)

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Re: Trade Conley 

Post#41 » by boogiesdad » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:57 am

I wish we could do MC to PHO for #6 and fillers.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#42 » by SD2042 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:37 am

VCfor3 wrote:Woj said he thought Memphis could get two 1sts for Conley.

:o

Woj is clutch most of the time. I'm wondering if he's getting a little high on his own supply.

Then again after what the Lakers done to get AD23, I'm wonder if Desperate Times Calls for Desperate Measures is the Theme for the NBA Summer Offseason.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#43 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:40 am

SD2042 wrote:

Woj is clutch most of the time. I'm wondering if he's getting a little high on his own supply.

Then again after what the Lakers done to get AD23, I'm wonder if Desperate Times Calls for Desperate Measures is the Theme for the NBA Summer Offseason.

If seen from a few different places the package may be #23+future protected 1st (I'm guessing 2020) from Utah and we don't take Allen which I'm cool with. Not sure exactly what salary Utah will choose to send in such a deal. Exum+Crowder maybe?
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#44 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:29 am

VCfor3 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:

If seen from a few different places the package may be #23+future protected 1st (I'm guessing 2020) from Utah and we don't take Allen which I'm cool with. Not sure exactly what salary Utah will choose to send in such a deal. Exum+Crowder maybe?

No to that, Jazz should be an even better team with Conley, that 2020 FRP will be weak in value. Tell me they're asking for a pick in 2022 & I might get on board with the idea.

Without Favors, I'm not feeling this Utah offer.

Whiteside is expected to ask for a trade, Miami are expected to buyout R.Anderson which will get them to 5m over the Lux tax. They had interest in Crowder & have a need at PG. I'm thinking Crowder, Exum & Bradley for Whiteside. Heat buyout Bradley, they get under the Luxury tax, Whiteside is sent to Charlotte where he wants for Bizz's expiring.

Jazz trade - (Crowder, Exum, #23, FRP) for (Conley)

Heat trade - (Whiteside 25m, #13) for (Crowder, Exum, Bradley, #23) when they buyout Anderson & Bradley, they get under the lux tax, still have a pick & answer Whiteside's upcoming trade request to supposedly Charlotte.

Charlotte trade - (Bizz, #12) for (Whiteside)

Memphis trade - (Conley, Bradley) for (Bizz, #12, #13, FRP)
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#45 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:45 am

SD2042 wrote:

There's a market for Conley .. Sure he's on the wrong side of his career but he's still producing, not on a complete albatross of a contract with 2yrs, where any type of injury won't be much of long term risk factor & he's not a head case or locker room cancer. Instead he has the makeup & character that could lift a young team like Suns into winning territory.

The minute Suns show interest in Conley with the 6th pick … any other team of interest is leveraged against that interest ..

I don't know if there's a search feature for this site, if there is, check the Raptors forum for who suggested DeRozan for Kawhi when both LA & Boston were offering young players & picks. I suggested that trade because I thought Pops would not want to be a part of a rebuild at the end of his career. Not to long after names like McCollum were coming up in trade & a request for an Allstar for Kawhi.

Raptors could not beat either Lakers or Bostons rebuilding packages but the idea's leverage came from Pops being at the tail end of his career where a developing & rebuilding package made less sense for him ... No other team was willing to give up an allstar like Derozan for a rental but Raptors had exhausted several season unable to get over the Cavs hump, where trading 2yrs of Derozan for 1yr of Kawhi made the world of sense. Where if it failed, Raptors would have dumped his salary into a full on rebuild while taking a good shot at a tittle.

Subtle things like that give teams leverage in trade (at that point most Raptors fans were stating both OG & Pascal would have to be included) .. I'm going to spit ball ideas till Memphis become NBA champions.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#46 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:03 pm

Jonas was traded to Memphis under the same concept DeRozan was traded to Spurs. He was traded for the same reason Delon was traded. Their upcoming extensions.

Masai attempted to mask their salary dump into Gasol's 25m, which at his age, he won't be extended beyond the 2yrs, where both Jonas & Delon like DeRozan were fan favorites looking at extensions. Masai has his sights on Giannis in FA & Memphis will reap the benefit of that.

As most have already seen, Jonas has been underdeveloped, underutilized for years & was better than expected. Jonas, JJJ & JA is an excellent base, start for Memphis. I love the idea that Jaren can play small ball 5 to cover Jonas weaknesses & vice versa when teams play big bodies in the half court. Now it's to trade Conley for a young wing if they can because I doubt Memphis without some lotto luck will be drafting high again.

My Memphis target would be K. Johnson, in a Conley trade.

If Heat buyout R. Anderson they will be 5m over the luxury tax = trade leverage if Heat want to get under the tax & drop a bad contract.

(Bradley & Utah's 23rd pick) for (JJ's 15m 3yrs, #13)

Heat not only dump 3yrs of JJ's contract, they get under the luxury tax by buying out Bradley while not losing a pick (#23) in an unclear draft class. That's 3 incentives for Miami, especially if they're not enamored with anyone at their pick.

I have Memphis doing this for a specified target. (K. Johnson) who's not expected to fall past 16 in recent rumors.

JJ is a SF/PF that could excell in a transition game, where Memphis could get use or find value in him in combination with the 13th pick. Where taking on his salary won't be a complete financial hit.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#47 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:39 pm

(Favors, Crowder, #23, FRP 2022) is the deal I'd be after with Utah.

Crowder is a decent role player, Utah was going to let Favors walk, 2 potential late firsts, one in a weak uncertain draft. Is hardly a big asking price for Conley who's still producing at an All-star level with Utah having need.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#48 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:09 pm

Boston is in a position to salvage the offseason if they land Russell in FA.

Several issues - one of them being the need to trade the financial value of the 14th pick.

With 3 first-round picks whose value adds up to about $7M. In reality, Boston only has about $25M in cap space.

There is a rule in the Collective Bargaining Agreement that states every unused roster spot on teams with less than 12 players has cap hold of $900,000.

Memphis trade - (Bradley, Carter) for (Smart, Yabusele, #14, #22)

Bradley can be bought out with 2m guaranteed. This should put Boston at 30m?. anyone can confirm for me?.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#49 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:21 pm

Memphis trade - (Parsons 24m 2yrs, Bradley 12m (2m guarantee)) for (Hayward 30.5m, Yabusele 2.5m, #14)

If Bradley is bought out Boston would save roughly 9-10m in this deal & Parsons shaves a year off of Haywards commitment.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#50 » by SD2042 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:11 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Memphis trade - (Parsons 24m 2yrs, Bradley 12m (2m guarantee)) for (Hayward 30.5m, Yabusele 2.5m, #14)

If Bradley is bought out Boston would save roughly 9-10m in this deal & Parsons shaves a year off of Haywards commitment.

Bradley and J.R. Smith's contracts do not run the was you're thinking.

Contracts like Smith's and George Hill's are grandfathered in from the previous CBA stipulations. If Memphis trades Bradley, they must guaranteed his contract for any trade to happen. However, the team that receives Bradley cannot waive him with only 2M guarantee. They would be committed to him for the season. Unless they waive and stretch him or have him agree to a buyout.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Re: Breaking News: Conley To Utah 

Post#51 » by SD2042 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:08 pm

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/06/19/report-grizzlies-trade-conley-jazz

For Crowder, Allen, Korver, #23, and a future 1st pick.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Re: Breaking News: Conley To Utah 

Post#52 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:28 pm

SD2042 wrote:https://www.nba.com/article/2019/06/19/report-grizzlies-trade-conley-jazz

For Crowder, Allen, Korver, #23, and a future 1st pick.

This is great. Good job Memphis.

- They made sure with the future pick, they either get a pick between 8-14 over the next 2 drafts or a 2022 pick.
- They save 13m,
- Concerning your previous point, Memphis can flip Korver & save Boston 7m in a buyout, taking back the value of the 14th pick ..
- Targeting Allen, Memphis have a bit of a glut at SG

Memphis trade - (Parsons 24m, Korver 7.6m, Brooks 1.4m) to Boston for (Hayward 30.5m, Yabusele 2.7m, #14)

Saves Boston roughly 7m & dumps a year off Haywards contract to help them sign Russell.

Memphis trade - (Korver 7.6m, Brooks1.4m, Carter 1m) for (Marcus Smart 11m, #14)

This trade saves Boston roughly 9-10m, gives them depth behind potentially signing Russell.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Re: Breaking News: Conley To Utah (update on PG 3) 

Post#53 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:29 pm

Well done Memphis.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#54 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:47 pm

This trade is better than I thought.

Jeff Siegel

@jgsiegel
2h
2 hours ago

More
A few months after the Dallas Mavericks set a record for the highest traded player exception in NBA history, Memphis is going to blow that record out of the water. Dallas's was TPE was $21.3 million... Memphis's is looking like it'll be $29.1 million.

Jeff Siegel

@jgsiegel
Follow
Follow @jgsiegel

More
Crowder's 7.8M salary can go into the Garrett Temple trade exception, while Allen's fits into the Jarell Martin TPE (thanks to that extra $100k rule), so the TPE generated by Memphis is Conley's salary minus Korver's guaranteed portion.

That trade exception should net Memphis some serious assets. If it was just little bit bigger they could have absorbed Haywards contract.

This just went from good trade to great.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#55 » by jman3134 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:58 pm

I am fuming angry. We luck into Ja and now our FO makes an AWFUL trade, acquiring players who would only be effective in a win now run along with low first round picks plus a mid round 2 yrs from now. That is all Conley is worth after a career year?

The 23 pick might as well be a second rounder because you can get the same value in both late 1st 2nd.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#56 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:59 pm

Chicago have 10m in cap room, I'm sure they would love to target Russel in FA.

Memphis (29m TPE) to Chicago for (Otto Porter, #6)

Gives Chicago 36m in cap room.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#57 » by jman3134 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:00 pm

Whole Truth wrote:This trade is better than I thought.

Jeff Siegel

@jgsiegel
2h
2 hours ago

More
A few months after the Dallas Mavericks set a record for the highest traded player exception in NBA history, Memphis is going to blow that record out of the water. Dallas's was TPE was $21.3 million... Memphis's is looking like it'll be $29.1 million.

Jeff Siegel

@jgsiegel
Follow
Follow @jgsiegel

More
Crowder's 7.8M salary can go into the Garrett Temple trade exception, while Allen's fits into the Jarell Martin TPE (thanks to that extra $100k rule), so the TPE generated by Memphis is Conley's salary minus Korver's guaranteed portion.

That trade exception should net Memphis some serious assets. If it was just little bit bigger they could have absorbed Haywards contract.

What would we use the trade exception on? Our players currently on the roster have 0 value to any other teams with the exception of JJJ.

So now we sign Jonas to a bigger contract? Come on now.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#58 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:09 pm

jman3134 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:This trade is better than I thought.

Jeff Siegel

@jgsiegel
2h
2 hours ago

More

Jeff Siegel

@jgsiegel
Follow
Follow @jgsiegel

More

What would we use the trade exception on? Our players currently on the roster have 0 value to any other teams with the exception of JJJ.

So now we sign Jonas to a bigger contract? Come on now.

TPE's is speudo cap space. Memphis can help teams using picks to get under the tax, shed salary. Like my Chicago example.

Say if Chicago had strong interest in signing Russell, they only have 10m in cap. Memphis could take Otto Porters 25m into that TPE & help Chicago create a max slot to sign Russell. For that service Memphis ask for the inclusion of the 6th pick.

So the TPE could theoretically net Otto Porter & the 6th depending on Chicago's interest in signing Russell.

Also the FRP is protected (1-8) (15-30) for the next 2 yrs, top 6 in 2022. So if Utah is any good in Conley's 2 years it won't be a late pick it would turn into a 2022 top 6 protected pick in a strong draft when Conley would be 34/5 looking for a new contract..
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#59 » by jman3134 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:15 pm

^ That would be amazing if that was on the table - I agree. Unless this is paired with another trade, I don't see what assets we have that can justify use of the exception. Maybe I just lack the vision and am skeptical Chicago would dump that much to sign Russell. Of course I would love that move.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#60 » by VCfor3 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:16 pm

Really like the return actually. The future pick should be solid (either late lottery in 2020 or 2021 or likely conveys in 2022 when it is the double draft). I'm not high on Allen but he is worth looking at. The giant TPE is awesome when teams want to dump salary.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies