ImageImage

So... the #23 Pick of the Draft

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

Who will the Grizzlies choose as the #23 Pick?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:45 pm

Keldon Johnson
No votes
Ty Jerome
No votes
Cameron Johnson
20%
KZ Okpala
No votes
Matisse Thybulle
40%
Dylan Windler
No votes
Kevin Porter
No votes
Luka Samanic
20%
Nicolas Claxton
No votes
Mfiondu Kabangele
20%

Total votes: 5

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: So... the #23 Pick of the Draft 

Post#21 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:59 am

jman3134 wrote:Let me show you a little bit more while I have a minute. I'll give you a little film because I doubt any of you have seen him play live.

Read on Twitter

What you are seeing here is elite hip mobility. He closes out completely, jumping forward to contest a three point, yet recovers left to cut his man off. He beats his man to the spot a bunch.

3:47 great move through the double in the lane

4:14 transition lob

4:32 great defense, better offense

4:55 drive and kick

Heck of a call Jman. He went 35th and I'm not sure who else other than you even mentioned the guy. Had hoped we could have gotten him but I'm glad we aren't making terrible trades right now.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#22 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:10 am

VCfor3 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:I saw him at the PIT and he was absolutely lock down - super physical and can hit from 3 point range. Quinndary Weatherspoon was also excellent off the ball/man to man defensively and has a better offensive game. I suspect he goes early 2nd though.

Hadn't heard those Cam Johnson red flags, but thanks for the info.

Take them with a small grain of salt. It was from Verno. He was asking around on different players for his Won't Bust list and supposedly three people mention medical concerns.

Q Weatherspoon seems like a sneaky pickup for someone as an undrafted player or late 2nd flyer.

Thought he would go earlier, but the Spurs know what they are doing. Took both guys our board had highlighted. Keldon Johnson then Weatherspoon.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#23 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:13 am

VCfor3 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:Let me show you a little bit more while I have a minute. I'll give you a little film because I doubt any of you have seen him play live.

Read on Twitter

What you are seeing here is elite hip mobility. He closes out completely, jumping forward to contest a three point, yet recovers left to cut his man off. He beats his man to the spot a bunch.

Heck of a call Jman. He went 35th and I'm not sure who else other than you even mentioned the guy. Had hoped we could have gotten him but I'm glad we aren't making terrible trades right now.

A little frustrated my scouting report didn't have many reads via Twitter. DX guys clearly have never watched him - ranked him outside the top 60. They called him a Brazilian Josh Hart - maybe Mike was looking exclusively at shooting form. Didi's team rarely played in transition, and his biggest weakness at this stage is finishing through contact, which is Hart's greatest strength.

Edit: I say this as a Villanova alum who watched 90% of his games at Nova.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#24 » by SD2042 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:23 am

jman3134 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Read on Twitter

A little frustrated my scouting report didn't have many reads via Twitter. DX guys clearly have never watched him - ranked him outside the top 60. They called him a Brazilian Josh Hart - maybe Mike was looking exclusively at shooting form. Didi's team rarely played in transition, and his biggest weakness at this stage is finishing through contact, which is Hart's greatest strength.

Edit: I say this as a Villanova alum who watched 90% of his games at Nova.

Silva from what you and BarbaGrizz have mentioned must've been under the radar that your scouting reports did not gain the traction they could've gotten. For him to be compare to Josh Hart says a lot as I'm a Josh Hart fan myself. I hope he finds better success in NO than he did in L.A. I remember during his draft I wanted either the Grizzlies or the Magic to draft him for his defense and willing to be effective on offense.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#25 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:12 am

He was under the radar because he didn't get to play at the combine, as his team was still in the Final. He also was expected to enter the draft next year, so not many were anticipating him being available.

In terms of my report in particular, I hadn't published consistently enough on that site to generate consistent followers, so it is my own fault. It is just frustrating when the experts are way off. Didi is great, but no Josh Hart. He doesn't seek out contact like Hart, he avoids it with cat like quickness.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Post#26 » by BarbaGrizz » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:21 pm

I have a feeling that Louzada is more the Brazilian Kent Bazemore than the Brazilian Josh Hart.

We also had another player that wasn't drafted, Yago Santos. I really want someone to take a look in him; his only weakness is his height (5'10), if he was 5 inches bigger he would be a lottery pick, hands down.
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today

Return to Memphis Grizzlies