ImageImage

Draft Day 2019

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Draft Day 2019 

Post#41 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:40 am

jman3134 wrote:I think Clarke needs to develop to be effective. He dominated because he was far more athletic than his competition. This won't be the case at the NBA level. Think how Thomas Robinson played - great strength, smart player. Clarke has more natural athleticism and his second jump is the best I think I have ever seen. So, he is a better athlete than Robinson. He needs to develop that mid range jumper just to keep defenses honest in the pick and roll (so teams don't overplay the roll). His post moves also need some work. Rudimentary footwork. So there is a lot to like from a physical standpoint, but not a lot that directly translates atm imho.

You're bang on..

Pascals scouting report

A 6'10” power forward with an imposing 7'3” wingspan, Siakam has several physical tools that give him a solid foundation as a draft prospect. In addition to his measurables, he has a motor that rarely stops along with great speed and agility to boot that allows him to move around the court with ease. He does have a thin frame, both in his upper and lower body, weighing just 227 pounds at the NBA Combine, and he will need to work on filling out his body and becoming stronger to compete with NBA players on a nightly basis. Not a highly skilled offensive player, Siakam relies mainly on his length, athleticism and motor to get easy points around the rim. He converts 62.2% of his shots at the rim according to Synergy Sports Technology with many of these attempts coming from the shot creation of his teammates. He doesn't have great explosiveness off the ground but with his length, he doesn't need to get that high to dunk offensive rebounds or dump-off passes and he can utilize his open court speed to finish his rim runs in transition by being the first player down the court. Where Siakam can make some strides in his own shot creation, starting from the mid-range and then extending to the three point line. He's not much of a jump shooter yet, attempting just fifteen three point attempts last season. He did have a larger sample from the mid-range but his mechanics are inconsistent and need to be tweaked before he turns into a threat as a shooter. He does have solid touch and looks to be in the process of cleaning up his mechanics, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he continues to improve in this area. Siakam displays some potential to attack off the dribble that could eventually complement a reliable jump shot, preferring to work from the center of the court toward his right hand. It usually ends in a floater or an awkward off balance leaning jumper rather than a layup or restricted area shot attempt. With his reach these shots are not easily contested by the defense but he has to improve his touch in the paint or find a way to get all the way to the rim to finish his drives with a bucket. Adding these skills will also help him become a pick and roll threat as he could dive to the rim with his quickness, step out for a jumper or be able to attack from inside the arc all the way to the rim. He doesn't hold the ball for a long time and makes quick decisions whether to attack or pass but his passes don't usually lead directly to scoring opportunities as he had a relatively average 1.8 assists per 40 minutes pace adjusted. As he becomes more comfortable creating his own shot, he'll also need to improve upon creating good looks for his teammates. He will also want to learn to move the ball within the flow of the offense instead of just passing it back to where it came from if he doesn't have a clear shot attempt. Siakam's 13.7 total rebounds per 40 pace adjusted ranks fifth among power forwards in our top 100, but where he really makes his mark is on the offensive glass with his 4.6 offensive rebounds per 40 minutes pace adjusted ranking fifth among all prospects in our top 100. He crashes the glass relentlessly, shedding his man on his way to chasing down loose balls anywhere on the court. He is a competent defensive rebounder as well by pulling down 9.1 defensive rebounds per 40 minutes pace adjusted. He boxes out his man and has a decent nose for the ball coming off his rim, but has to expend so much energy holding off his man with his below average strength that he can't quickly disengage from his man and attack the rebound all the time to be a dominant rebounder. He will certainly be asked to fill a role as a rebounder and with his energy, length and aggressiveness, he is often the first to the loose ball and will be able to help finish possessions. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Pascal-Siakam-87577/ ©DraftExpress
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#42 » by SD2042 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:47 am

Whole Truth wrote:Great offseason for Memphis so far & I think they still make use of that traded player exception.

3J
Clarke
Wiggins/Bruno
Culver
Ja

+ FRP for taking on Wiggins contract

I mean no harm, but I'm not into the idea that Wiggins will change the aspects of his game in order to become a much better player when he hasn't put in the effort to do so in the first place.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#43 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:48 am

Candidates for undrafted free agent deals:

Luguentz Dort 6'4
Louis King 6'8
Naz Reid 6'10
Josh Reaves 6'5
Amir Hinton 6'5 (summer league invite)
Zylan Cheatham 6'7
Daquan Jeffries 6'4
Terence Davis 6'5
Tyus Battle 6'6
Keverrius Hayes 6'7 (summer league invite)
Jalen Lecque 6'4
Jonathan Lawton 6'2 (summer league invite)
James Palmer 6'6
Zach Hankins 6'11 (summer league invite)
Josh Perkins 6'3 (summer league invite)
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#44 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:56 am

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Great offseason for Memphis so far & I think they still make use of that traded player exception.

3J
Clarke
Wiggins/Bruno
Culver
Ja

+ FRP for taking on Wiggins contract

I mean no harm, but I'm not into the idea that Wiggins will change the aspects of his game in order to become a much better player when he hasn't put in the effort to do so in the first place.

No harm, I agree.

I'm targeting Wiggins mainly for the assets (Culver/FRP) & the slight chance that he might put it together. Not because I think he might be what he was drafted to be, that would be gravy ..
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#45 » by Whole Truth » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:59 am

jman3134 wrote:Candidates for undrafted free agent deals:

Luguentz Dort 6'4
Louis King 6'8
Naz Reid 6'10
Josh Reaves 6'5
Zylan Cheatham 6'7
Daquan Jeffries 6'4
Terence Davis 6'5
Tyus Battle 6'6
Jalen Lecque 6'4
James Palmer 6'6

You have any favorites in that list?

I'd take a flier on Lecque, Reid.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#46 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:01 am

These are a list of my favorites. lol haha

Of these, I love Zylan Cheatham's game. He is an elite role player who is extremely active on both ends of the floor. Love his defense and activity on both ends.

Jeffries is intriguing and emerged late in the year and at the PIT. He is extremely physical, can defend, and has solid range.

Some of the other names - Hayes got no attention, but I identified him by tape and kenpom advanced stats as someone of note. On tape he was one of the more efficient scorers and opted mostly to play within himself at the rim, much like Clarke. He also is an underrated rim protector.

I love what Louis King could become offensively. Still raw on D, but he is very young. I was shocked that he wasn't drafted.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#47 » by Damkac » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:56 am

Love your young core with JJJ, Ja and Clarke.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#48 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:36 pm

jman3134 wrote:I think Clarke needs to develop to be effective. He dominated because he was far more athletic than his competition. This won't be the case at the NBA level. Think how Thomas Robinson played - great strength, smart player. Clarke has more natural athleticism and his second jump is the best I think I have ever seen. So, he is a better athlete than Robinson. He needs to develop that mid range jumper just to keep defenses honest in the pick and roll (so teams don't overplay the roll). His post moves also need some work. Rudimentary footwork. So there is a lot to like from a physical standpoint, but not a lot that directly translates atm imho.

I agree that he still has plenty of developing to do. I think his defense will translate decently well and he will be one heck of a lob threat on offense, but yeah he will need some time to develop a more robust offensive game. I just think he has a shot at getting there given how much he was able to start turning his shooting form around from year two to year three (12% increase in FT% and I'm still laughing at a photo of him shooting a free throw where it looks like he is side arming the ball from his shoulder haha). I also know very little about technique/evaluating so take it all with a grain of salt, but I figure if even I can see noticeable improvement then it must be pretty significant haha.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#49 » by SD2042 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:18 pm

jman3134 wrote:Candidates for undrafted free agent deals:

Luguentz Dort 6'4
Louis King 6'8
Naz Reid 6'10
Josh Reaves 6'5
Zylan Cheatham 6'7
Daquan Jeffries 6'4
Terence Davis 6'5
Tyus Battle 6'6
Jalen Lecque 6'4
James Palmer 6'6

Out of the list of undrafted, I would take a look into Tyus Battle and Luguentz Dort. Extend an invite to summer league and see what they can do. The Grizzlies need to address the scoring issues. Morant's scoring and playmaking is just a good starting point.

Battle- a solid defender in-spite of playing in a zone defense in Syracuse, solid slasher, hits clutch shots, creates his own shot, will need to tune up his perimeter shooting a bit. It's good, but it can be better.

Dort-very aggressive slasher, defender, enforcer type of personality, needs to work on his shooting range and consistency.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Post#50 » by BarbaGrizz » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:17 pm

With Clarke in does it means Rabb is out?
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#51 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:48 pm

BarbaGrizz wrote:With Clarke in does it means Rabb is out?

I don't think so. I think we like Rabb. I could see our FO thinking Rabb is our bench PF and Clarke our starting PF in a few years.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#52 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:38 pm

I hope not. I am a huge closet Ivan Rabb homer! Saw a lot of potential in his game. Hope he reaches a peak physically and plays better through contact. Skill wise I think he can be a solid rotation player.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,486

Post#53 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:45 pm

Great draft, guys!!!

I love the Brandon Clarke pairing with JJJ.

Grading the 2019 NBA Draft

21. Memphis Grizzlies (from Oklahoma City): Brandon Clarke, F/C, Gonzaga

Clarke could end up as one of the best selections of this draft. He’s an electric athlete with a high basketball IQ who outplayed Hachimura, his teammate and the no. 9 overall pick. Clarke will be one of the most versatile defenders in the league. The only players he can’t guard are bigger centers, and he’s playing next to a guy in Jaren Jackson Jr. who could end up as the best defensive center in the NBA. Clarke and Jackson make a ton of sense on offense too. Jackson is a great 3-point shooter who will allow Clarke to focus on scoring around the rim, where he was one of the most effective players in college. Memphis will be one of the most fun young teams in the NBA next season with those two running the break and catching lobs from Morant.

Grade: A+
The Ringer
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,486

Post#54 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:24 pm

A brief excerpt from The Athletic

Vecenie’s NBA Draft Live blog

No. 21: Memphis Grizzlies select Brandon Clarke: I mean, the Grizzlies couldn’t be building a better defensive front court if they tried. Both Jaren Jackson Jr. and Clarke are elite level defenders in switch scenarios for their size, in help scenarios on the back side and in gap defense, and they both are elite-level shot blockers.

The big thing worth noting here, though, is the offensive fit. Because Jackson is a spacing 5, they can slide Clarke down to the 4 and surround him and Ja Morant with shooting in order to foster successful lineups. Athletically, between that trio, the Grizzlies are going to be Lob City, Grit-and-Grind edition, with Morant tossing up just ridiculous touch passes that those two easily finish.

From a value standpoint, This might end up being my favorite pick of the draft. And the price they paid to move up was minuscule. All around, great work by Memphis in this draft to get Morant at No. 2, get a strong deal for Mike Conley, and then get Clarke here by just moving up at a small cost.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#55 » by VCfor3 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:50 pm

jman3134 wrote:I hope not. I am a huge closet Ivan Rabb homer! Saw a lot of potential in his game. Hope he reaches a peak physically and plays better through contact. Skill wise I think he can be a solid rotation player.

Ditto. He had a really good run at one point last season and then was mismanaged by JB which killed it. Supposedly he was working on his 3pt shot last year and if he can hit with some level of consistency watch out!
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#56 » by GimmeDat » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:48 am

Clarke is the steal of the draft. A Clarke JJJ front-court is going to be absolutely insane.

The one thing he needs to work in is developing that catch and shoot 3. He's already come a long way, his form improved remarkably from earlier in his college career.

Between Ja and Clarke you guys are probably one of the biggest winners in the draft. You guys are also incredibly deep with role players - I think you'll have a very solid regular season and look to capitalize on 2020 FA.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#57 » by VCfor3 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:50 am

GimmeDat wrote:Clarke is the steal of the draft. A Clarke JJJ front-court is going to be absolutely insane.

The one thing he needs to work in is developing that catch and shoot 3. He's already come a long way, his form improved remarkably from earlier in his college career.

Between Ja and Clarke you guys are probably one of the biggest winners in the draft. You guys are also incredibly deep with role players - I think you'll have a very solid regular season and look to capitalize on 2020 FA.

Appreciate you stopping by! Your big board is by far my favorite on the Draft forum. Yeah I love the pairing if Clarke can get a passable range game. It'll be interesting to see what Memphis does with their TPE. If they only take expiring contracts+assets in salary dumps then they could have enough money to chase RFAs next offseason. I also would love if we could find a way to get Miles Bridges from CHA to be our uber-athletic SF by eating a ton of their bad salary.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#58 » by Damkac » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:29 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Great draft, guys!!!

Clarke could end up as one of the best selections of this draft. He’s an electric athlete with a high basketball IQ who outplayed Hachimura, his teammate and the no. 9 overall pick. Clarke will be one of the most versatile defenders in the league. The only players he can’t guard are bigger centers, and he’s playing next to a guy in Jaren Jackson Jr. who could end up as the best defensive center in the NBA. Clarke and Jackson make a ton of sense on offense too. Jackson is a great 3-point shooter who will allow Clarke to focus on scoring around the rim, where he was one of the most effective players in college. Memphis will be one of the most fun young teams in the NBA next season with those two running the break and catching lobs from Morant.

The Ringer

Clarke is a bit like Trae Young was. People were too scared by their lack of size to simply appreciate that they can ball.

Can JJJ guard centers or is he better at PF?
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#59 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:59 am

Damkac wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:Great draft, guys!!!

The Ringer

Clarke is a bit like Trae Young was. People were too scared by their lack of size to simply appreciate that they can ball.

Can JJJ guard centers or is he better at PF?

IMO Jaren is not ready to be a full time C, he can get muscled but he could eventually be. I have him down mainly as a (stretch) PF with Jonas on court, small ball C who can take his game into the post. Love the potential versatility Memphis have with their front court. They can play big & in the half court with Jonas, Jackson, Clarke or Small & in transition with Jaren, Clarke, Bruno without really being "small" that's some good length with Bruno that they wouldn't be sacrificing rim protection to play more uptempo.

Jackson in small ball can guard 1-5, both Clarke & Bruno 1-4. With Holiday at SG Memphis who are already top 5 defensively will be able to seamlessly switch on defense. With a lot of athleticism & motor they will be driven by Ja's court vision & playmaking.

The question for me is how much of a down grade is Ja from Conley defensively?.

I'm a firm believer of pressuring the ball apposed to erasing mistakes.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#60 » by Whole Truth » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:13 pm

Memphis Grizzlies
Picks: Ja Morant (No. 2), Brandon Clarke (No. 21)

“Grit ‘N’ Grind” may have died, but by God, a new era of Memphis basketball has begun, and it is bright, it is blinding, it is beautiful – it’s perfect.

How do you compensate for a guard with defensive shortcomings?

You draft the best defensive player in the draft in Brandon Clarke with the 21st pick (acquired from the Oklahoma City Thunder for No. 23 and a 2024 second-rounder). .
Brandon Clarke!

There is genuinely no reason for someone as productive and dominant as Clarke — even as an older prospect at 22 years old — to slip this far on draft night. There is no reason. I’ve written about him previously, lauding him as one of the best players in the class. For me, he’s a top-five talent, and he slid to the twenties right into the waiting hands of the Memphis Grizzlies.

Outside of the Pelicans grabbing Zion Williamson, the Grizzlies had a phenomenal night.

A new era in Memphis has begun.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/06/22/nba-draft-2019-grading-30-teams-fared-draft-night/16/

Return to Memphis Grizzlies