Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,976

Shams: Grizz Sign Tyus Jones to Offer Sheet 

Post#1 » by VCfor3 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 4:59 am

Read on Twitter

With 4m of bonuses so it is more of a 3/28 contract in actuality. MIN has two days to match.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Re: Shams: Grizz Sign Tyus Jones to Offer Sheet 

Post#2 » by jman3134 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:10 am

Why?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#3 » by SD2042 » Mon Jul 8, 2019 6:52 am

jman3134 wrote:Why?

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254799/Mavs-Acquire-Delon-Wright-Grizzlies-Receive-Two-Future-Second-Round-Picks

Grizzlies let Wright go to the Mavs. Carter was traded to Phx last week. These moves left Ja as the only PG. Although they have Anderson and Melton as decent play makers, they both are not true PGs.

I can get behind this move. I've followed Tyus since his days at Duke. He's a solid PG who can get his teammates involve, solid perimeter player, and decent defender. I originally wanted him to sign with the Magic as they need a better PG. I'm fine with him as a Grizzly. Welcome to Memphis Tyus!
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#4 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:19 pm

jman3134 wrote:Why?

Good question.

You watch Clarke's debut?.

Clippers squad were 2 for 23 when Clarke subbed out with I think 3mins left in the first q, with only 2 long 3's & a FT made. I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure his +/- numbers are off the charts. Encouraging that he hit his lone attempt from 3. If he ever comes close to respectable from 3 like Pascal ... Memphis are smiling.

I liked Kabengele showing for the Clippers as well. I think he was 4 of 5 from 3 as a big man & showed his defensive potential/good length & mobility.

Clarke though, showing defensively & in transition, he can kill it in small ball with Jackson & Ja if teams want to force Jonas off the court & vice versa.

Still wish Memphis had kept/keeps Noah.. That would make one of the best front courts in the league that would have quality, depth & versatility in any setting. Could you imagine a big man defensive lineup of Noah, Jackson, Clarke, with 2 scoring guards. Jackson, Clarke, Bruno switching/running in small ball.. & Jonas offsetting the slow pace, half court game. For a pick your poison scenario.

Though even better situation now than when I said it last season, Memphis only need that scoring wing to tie it all together, especially if Ja turns out as projected..

This not factoring Jackson maybe piecing it to together as a reclamation project & 2 potentially good FRP's in 2022/4.

I'm rambling which is funny because I don't talk much in person. If you saw the game, what were your thought on Clarke?.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Whole Truth » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:28 pm

On cue

Rumor has it the Bulls could trade point guard Kris Dunn and even bring back Justin Holiday in a trade with the Memphis Grizzlies, according to K.C. Johnson of The Chicago Tribune.

https://clutchpoints.com/bulls-rumors-chicago-could-bring-back-justin-holiday-in-kris-dunn-sign-and-trade-with-grizzlies/
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:50 am

Read on Twitter
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#7 » by PharmD » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:41 pm

Enjoy. Tyus is a rock-solid player. For his career he has 255 steals and 177 turnovers, which is just nuts. He's a high-end backup PG. His shooting is a weakness but he's young and smart and can develop still.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:28 pm

PharmD wrote:Enjoy. Tyus is a rock-solid player. For his career he has 255 steals and 177 turnovers, which is just nuts. He's a high-end backup PG. This shooting is a weakness but he's young and smart and can develop still.

What I like most about him, is that he takes care of the basketball. He should be a steady hand for a young bench. I'm thinking Jose Calderon without the range but better defence. I believe he was a teammate of Allen's aswell so there will be some built in chemistry but being a weak shooter could be a potential issue with how the bench currently stands.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,545

Post#9 » by BarbaGrizz » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:27 pm

I really like this signing! Another smart move by our FO!
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,792

Post#10 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:45 pm

Memphis will be a good fit for him. You're gonna enjoy watching him feed Clarke and Jackson all game.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:12 am

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:30 pm

The deal was structured so it could increase to $28 million should he reach incentives based on wins that were more likely to be attained in Minnesota than with the rebuilding Grizzlies and, according to sources, the deal descends in value over time rather than increases. All of that was structured to make it less likely that the Wolves would match it, considering their aim to free up maximum salary cap space by next summer.

https://theathletic.com/1072131/2019/07/12/russell-westbrook-chris-paul-and-the-timberwolves-search-for-a-long-term-point-guard/

jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#13 » by jman3134 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:01 pm

Again, why?
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,545

Post#14 » by BarbaGrizz » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:35 am

jman3134 wrote:Again, why?

Good ball handler, takes care of the ball, is a good locker room presence, fits our JJJ and Ja timeline
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today

Return to Memphis Grizzlies