Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Ja Morant 

Post#41 » by VCfor3 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:18 pm

E S V L wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Too bad his free throws took a big dip lol. But good to see him shooting well.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#42 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:38 pm

Hall of Fame Comparisons for NBA's Young Stars

Ja Morant = Bigger Allen Iverson

Few NBA players have possessed more athleticism than Morant and Iverson, two of the most gifted guards of the past 30 years.

We'll acknowledge the obvious difference between the two first, as Morant's 6'3", 174-pound frame makes him noticeably bigger than the 6'0", 165-pound Iverson. Other than that, the two have possessed the same fearlessness and on-court aggressiveness that's been difficult to match by any of their peers.

It's one thing to constantly attack the rim and willingly drive into the teeth of the defense if you're a 6'8", 220-pound wing. Going toward 7-foot, 275–plus-pound humans when you don't even tip the scales at 175 yourself is quite another.

Still, this is what we've seen from both Morant and Iverson, who move remarkably similar on the floor.

Iverson gets the nod as a pure scorer here, as he led the NBA in points per game four times while Morant is the better passer of the two.

In terms of aggressive guards with style and flair who prefer getting to the basket over settling for a three-pointer, both Morant and Iverson are some of the best we've ever seen.
Bleacher Report
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 377

Post#43 » by esvl » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:28 am

To me, Ja is not close to any past star, even though he shares similarities with Iverson, Rose, Westbrook. But most importantly, he is THE man, he is the winner. I want to believe that he shares this with MJ.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#44 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:11 pm

esvl wrote:To me, Ja is not close to any past star, even though he shares similarities with Iverson, Rose, Westbrook. But most importantly, he is THE man, he is the winner. I want to believe that he shares this with MJ.

Ja is a really talented young man, and you guys are lucky to have him.

I think my biggest concern moving forward is that so much of his game is based on athleticism. There has to be some long term worry that as he ages and that explosiveness declines, he'll have to adjust his game to more of a finesse/skill based approach.

Can he make that inevitable adjustment? Will he still be the same caliber of player once he does?
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#45 » by esvl » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:29 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
esvl wrote:To me, Ja is not close to any past star, even though he shares similarities with Iverson, Rose, Westbrook. But most importantly, he is THE man, he is the winner. I want to believe that he shares this with MJ.

Ja is a really talented young man, and you guys are lucky to have him.

I think my biggest concern moving forward is that so much of his game is based on athleticism. There has to be some long term worry that as he ages and that explosiveness declines, he'll have to adjust his game to more of a finesse/skill based approach.

Can he make that inevitable adjustment? Will he still be the same caliber of player once he does?

To answer your legit question, unlike in his first year, Ja recently relied way more on his elite feel for the game and BBIQ than on athleticism. My impression is that in last season he used his unique explosiveness and athleticism at 50-60% in regular games and 70-80 in PO games. Therefor his age decline by say 20% would not affect his level. Any other decline I believe would be compensated by increased strength, experience, maturity, and BBIQ.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#46 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:51 pm

Read on Twitter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#47 » by VCfor3 » Sun Oct 1, 2023 1:48 am

I'm pumped to see Ja this season on a mission to prove everyone wrong. Absurd talent and has overcome everything else up to this point. I'm not betting against him.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#48 » by esvl » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:55 pm

I hope nobody will bring here another wave of *** against Ja and his dad that has been recently posted. The lizards cannot leave them alone. These personal attacks are so disgusting! fKlizards.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#49 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:13 pm

esvl wrote:I hope nobody will bring here another wave of *** against Ja and his dad that has been recently posted. The lizards cannot leave them alone. These personal attacks are so disgusting! fKlizards.

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#50 » by jefe » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:28 pm

I've been clear from day one that I think Ja **** up, but the most recent ESPN article by McMahon and Holmes is a ridiculous and unnecessary hatchet job.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#51 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:51 pm

jefe wrote:I've been clear from day one that I think Ja **** up, but the most recent ESPN article by McMahon and Holmes is a ridiculous and unnecessary hatchet job.

2 observations:

1) It's a bit beneficial that they dropped this now as opposed to sitting on it for a couple of months and dropping right when Ja is set to return from suspension. Hell, releasing this story just before Grizzlies media day could have been an ugly distraction, too.

The furor over any revelations will have died down by the time Ja next speaks with reporters.

2) Based on the direction Ja was headed, this early career detour may be just the thing to get him back on the right path -- preventing him from a Plaxico Burress, Mike Vick, Gilbert Arenas like fall from grace in his prime years.

NOTE: Ja's dad seems like a real piece of work.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#52 » by esvl » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:58 pm

Somebody likes to smell corporate ****. Thanks God, not everybody.
esvl
Bench Warmer

Post#53 » by esvl » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:06 pm

For whatever reason, showing a gun on camera, which is totally legal in this country protected by the very second amendment to the constitution, is an unprecedented punishable act in the world where people are being shot dead on camera in almost ever *** minute of almost every *** movie.
Lizards hate Ja and I only wonder why.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Post#54 » by jefe » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:17 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
jefe wrote:I've been clear from day one that I think Ja **** up, but the most recent ESPN article by McMahon and Holmes is a ridiculous and unnecessary hatchet job.

2 observations:

1) It's a bit beneficial that they dropped this now as opposed to sitting on it for a couple of months and dropping right when Ja is set to return from suspension. Hell, releasing this story just before Grizzlies media day could have been an ugly distraction, too.

The furor over any revelations will have died down by the time Ja next speaks with reporters.

2) Based on the direction Ja was headed, this early career detour may be just the thing to get him back on the right path -- preventing him from a Plaxico Burress, Mike Vick, Gilbert Arenas like fall from grace in his prime years.

Responding to each point:

1) If an authors are going to drop an article like this, then I suppose now is a good time. I said it was unnecessary because it doesn't really contain any new material revelations. It simply rehashes everything that has been known for months and adds only two quotes on the record: one from local writer Geoff Calkins about Morant being bigger than Elvis in Memphis (which is debatable but whole other subject, haha), and one from attorney Rebecca Adelman who is the plaintiff's attorney representing the Holloway claimant. I said it was ridiculous because the other quotes in the piece are simply trashing Morant, his family, and to an extent the Grizzlies organization all from the comfort of anonymity. To think that anonymity was given to "local business owners" is laughable.

2) Hopefully, Ja surrounds himself with better people and makes better decisions going forward. Nothing in the article addresses what Ja has done (or not done) since May; it simply rehashes events and allegations from the past. I guess allowing a few anonymous sources the opportunity to insult Morant and his family in a public forum helps Ja make better decisions going forward?
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#55 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:31 pm

jefe wrote:Responding to each point:

1) If an authors are going to drop an article like this, then I suppose now is a good time. I said it was unnecessary because it doesn't really contain any new material revelations. It simply rehashes everything that has been known for months and adds only two quotes on the record: one from local writer Geoff Calkins about Morant being bigger than Elvis in Memphis (which is debatable but whole other subject, haha), and one from attorney Rebecca Adelman who is the plaintiff's attorney representing the Holloway claimant. I said it was ridiculous because the other quotes in the piece are simply trashing Morant, his family, and to an extent the Grizzlies organization all from the comfort of anonymity. To think that anonymity was given to "local business owners" is laughable.

2) Hopefully, Ja surrounds himself with better people and makes better decisions going forward. Nothing in the article addresses what Ja has done (or not done) since May; it simply rehashes events and allegations from the past. I guess allowing a few anonymous sources the opportunity to insult Morant and his family in a public forum helps Ja make better decisions going forward?

Noted.

And I appreciate the input and perspective of the Memphis fanbase and local residents.

Particularly the more eloquent and well articulated perspectives.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#56 » by VCfor3 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:32 am

Jamaaliver wrote:

2 observations:

Not that Tee doesn't deserve some level of blame for everything that happened, but he talked about being smart with decisions and things to kids at a basketball camp earlier this. He said what you hope people in Ja's circle are telling him. You can't blame others. It is ultimately on you and when you are a celebrity then all of your decisions will be under a magnifying glass. It isn't fair but you have to deal with it. I feel like that article was likely a bit skewed.
https://deadspin.com/ja-tee-morant-speech-1850756286

Return to Memphis Grizzlies