ImageImage

A NEW ERA IN MEMPHIS

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

BengalUND
Ballboy
And1: 11

A NEW ERA IN MEMPHIS 

Post#1 » by BengalUND » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Personally, I have really overlooked the surprisingly talented roster that the Memphis Grizzlies have assembled. Between the young talent (Morant, Clarke, Jackson Jr.) And the Vets (Howard, Crowder, Valanciunas, jones, jackson, etc.) they have a nice mix of young and veteran players. I don't quite think they will compete for a playoff spot yet, but I would not be surprised if they are in the mix two years down the road, especially if their young players develop and they acquire some new talent. Overall, I am really impressed with what the Grizzlies have done after moving on from Gasol, Conley, and Randolph. I also made a video about this, but there is no pressure to watch at all. What are your guys' thoughts on the Grizzlies going into next year?

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: A NEW ERA IN MEMPHIS 

Post#2 » by Whole Truth » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:06 pm

BengalUND wrote:Personally, I have really overlooked the surprisingly talented roster that the Memphis Grizzlies have assembled. Between the young talent (Morant, Clarke, Jackson Jr.) And the Vets (Howard, Crowder, Valanciunas, jones, jackson, etc.) they have a nice mix of young and veteran players. I don't quite think they will compete for a playoff spot yet, but I would not be surprised if they are in the mix two years down the road, especially if their young players develop and they acquire some new talent. Overall, I am really impressed with what the Grizzlies have done after moving on from Gasol, Conley, and Randolph. I also made a video about this, but there is no pressure to watch at all. What are your guys' thoughts on the Grizzlies going into next year?

Good video, only issue, was the reference to Clarke using his length to defend. He's actually undersized with short arms, along with his advanced age, is why he fell in the draft. It's his speed, athleticism & IQ that make him a good defender. Other than that reference, it was a solid assessment of the situation.

My opinion is that Memphis success hinges on Morant's transition more than anything else. He's replacing the play of a steady 2 way PG in Conley.

In the front court, Jonas is a proven starter that averaged 50 wins through 6 seasons with Toronto. 3J had a successful rookie campaign & should be improved. Being the versatile defensive stretch 4/5 he is, that can guard all 5 positions, stretch the D. His game should compliment an efficient post threat like Jonas who in turn compliments Jackson, physically & on the boards. Jonas main defensive issue stems from playing in small ball where teams are able to stretch him out. So when teams go small to counter his efficiency in the post/half court, Memphis can counter with Jackson & Clarke in transition. If Noah returns, which is a possibility, seeing that he has yet to sign after a successful last half season. He would bring the added depth of a former DPOY, an infectious winning personality & a positive influence for the young players.. I think Memphis potential in the front court is underrated with everyone focusing on the fact they lost a declining Gasol.

With a big roster turn over & a lot of young talent, including a reclamation project in Josh Jackson, I'd expect chemistry issues to iron out. Veterans like Iggy & Howard may also be gone in trade before the season starts. The roster as it stands is 18 active & not set.

Overall, I think by end of year Memphis will be throwing games to retain their top 6 protected pick & at the very least, teams won't be able to come in and expect an easy win.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies