ImageImage

Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,118
And1: 2,341
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#21 » by Whole Truth » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:38 pm

I know it's far from reality considering Memphis don't have a 2nd first or have yet to secure their owed pick but I'm envisioning a defensive front court of 3J/Clarke/Okoro complimented with 2 unselfish, high IQ scoring guards in Cole & Ja. Where Cole can play off of Ja, who would be the primary ball handler, not just as a shooter, scorer but a secondary playmaker.

We know 3J can stretch the paint, Clarke is showing great progression already, shooting 40% from 3 so far, though not on volume. If Clarke continues that growth & Okoro proves he has that potential, Memphis would have 3 great front court/wing defenders that are capable of effectively spacing the court for 2 scoring guards. With a quality depth chart of Jonas/Anderson/Bruno/Josh/Brooks/Tyus/Melton.
User avatar
Crizzle
Junior
Posts: 425
And1: 446
Joined: Jun 19, 2018
 

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#22 » by Crizzle » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:25 pm

i think you guys are crazy talking about already trading jackson. He was expected to be a project coming in. He just grew 2 more inches and im sure is still getting used to it. He has way too much potential
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,118
And1: 2,341
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#23 » by Whole Truth » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:50 pm

Crizzle wrote:i think you guys are crazy talking about already trading jackson. He was expected to be a project coming in. He just grew 2 more inches and im sure is still getting used to it. He has way too much potential


It's a hypothetical situation concerning drafting Wiseman, nobody wants to trade 3J but I think these 2 players overlap & Clarke is best suited at PF & too good to be coming off the bench. So the hypothetical situation is this if Memphis were to draft Wiseman.

1 -Run a front court of Wiseman/3J with Clarke off the bench, try to find a wing in FA owing the 2021 pick to Boston.

2 -Trade the top 6 pick for a proven wing

3 - Draft a scoring wing to compliment Jackson/Clarke/Ja

For the record my preference is to draft a scoring wing top 6 (Anthony or Edwards), obtain a 2nd first & draft (Okoro).
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,118
And1: 2,341
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#24 » by Whole Truth » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:54 am

Pearl said even before the season that the freshman Okoro “is the best defensive guard I’ve ever coached” and just the second player he’s ever had that could defend all five positions on the floor.

Against Davidson. The Tigers had Okoro playing small and power forward on offense, but on defense, they matched him up with 6-foot-5 senior point guard Jon Axel Gudmundsson, the reigning Atlantic 10 Player of the Year who averaged 16.9 points, 7.3 rebounds and 4.8 rebounds in 36.8 minutes last season. Against Okoro, he didn’t hit his first field goal until the 7:48 mark of the second half and finished the game with just seven points on 2-for-7 shooting, four rebounds, four assists and three turnovers in 29 minutes.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 3,426
And1: 1,664
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#25 » by VCfor3 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Pearl said even before the season that the freshman Okoro “is the best defensive guard I’ve ever coached” and just the second player he’s ever had that could defend all five positions on the floor.

Against Davidson. The Tigers had Okoro playing small and power forward on offense, but on defense, they matched him up with 6-foot-5 senior point guard Jon Axel Gudmundsson, the reigning Atlantic 10 Player of the Year who averaged 16.9 points, 7.3 rebounds and 4.8 rebounds in 36.8 minutes last season. Against Okoro, he didn’t hit his first field goal until the 7:48 mark of the second half and finished the game with just seven points on 2-for-7 shooting, four rebounds, four assists and three turnovers in 29 minutes.


Yeah Okoro has been playing very well.
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,118
And1: 2,341
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#26 » by Whole Truth » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:13 pm

Samuel Williamson against Indiana 15 / 5 / 4 on 67%.

SD being Magic fan, I'd like your take on the following trade suggestion.

(Iggy & Allen) for (Gordon).
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 3,426
And1: 1,664
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#27 » by VCfor3 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:49 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Samuel Williamson against Indiana 15 / 5 / 4 on 67%.

SD being Magic fan, I'd like your take on the following trade suggestion.

(Iggy & Allen) for (Gordon).


That is really bad for the Magic. Allen has minimal value until he proves otherwise (not no value, but minimal value) and Iggy has the value of an expiring/bench playoff guy rental on a contending team. Orlando isn't competing for a championship this year so this deal would basically be little more than salary dumping Gordon. The Magic could get a better return than this if they decided Gordon wasn't part of their long term plans.
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,118
And1: 2,341
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#28 » by Whole Truth » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:08 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Samuel Williamson against Indiana 15 / 5 / 4 on 67%.

SD being Magic fan, I'd like your take on the following trade suggestion.

(Iggy & Allen) for (Gordon).


That is really bad for the Magic. Allen has minimal value until he proves otherwise (not no value, but minimal value) and Iggy has the value of an expiring/bench playoff guy rental on a contending team. Orlando isn't competing for a championship this year so this deal would basically be little more than salary dumping Gordon. The Magic could get a better return than this if they decided Gordon wasn't part of their long term plans.


Magic may not be championship material this year but I'm assuming they would like to have significant progress on last years playoff birth & I think this is where Iggy's potential value to them is being overlooked/undervalued. Experience & leadership is something Gordon doesn't have or can provide. Doesn't hurt Iggy is still one of the best 3&D wing options, proven winner.

Raptors went from a losing team to making the playoffs by trading Rudy Gay for what was 3 bench players. Turns out Lowry replacing Gay as the teams primary scorer along with much needed depth was what was needed to find success. Masai was simply looking to break down his large contract into more movable pieces & ended up with a 7yrs of a 50 win team & eventual champion...
Suns netted themselves a failing grade for dumping their #4 pick, TJ for basically nothing & reaching at the draft, they're currently sitting 5th.

This is how I'm perceiving this trade for the Magic. It will be an initial loss of player value but in the end benefit them on the court.

Do you think Memphis would have to include something like the Utah pick?.
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,118
And1: 2,341
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#29 » by Whole Truth » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:35 pm

4-0 Arizona's 6'11" centre Zeke Nnaji is shooting 84.6% from the field (33-39) through his first 4 games.
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,118
And1: 2,341
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#30 » by Whole Truth » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:10 pm

Okoro wins SEC player of the week. He's the first player in 15yrs for Auburn to put up 15/6/6/2/2 in a single game.

Through 5 games, he's averaging 14/4/2 on 60%

That said, he had another 0-3 night from 3 & is shooting 18% on the year from range.

Utah are currently sitting 19th & could continue to struggle.

In that owed 7-15 range. Pacers, Magic, Suns, Minnesota all sit within a game of Utah.
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,118
And1: 2,341
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#31 » by Whole Truth » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:35 am

Cole's shot was off 4-14, 0-5 from 3 but he showed when his shot is not falling, he can still contribute to winning with 10 boards & 8 assists.
User avatar
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 23,672
And1: 1,891
Joined: Mar 05, 2002
   

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#32 » by SD2042 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:24 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Samuel Williamson against Indiana 15 / 5 / 4 on 67%.

SD being Magic fan, I'd like your take on the following trade suggestion.

(Iggy & Allen) for (Gordon).


That is really bad for the Magic. Allen has minimal value until he proves otherwise (not no value, but minimal value) and Iggy has the value of an expiring/bench playoff guy rental on a contending team. Orlando isn't competing for a championship this year so this deal would basically be little more than salary dumping Gordon. The Magic could get a better return than this if they decided Gordon wasn't part of their long term plans.


Magic may not be championship material this year but I'm assuming they would like to have significant progress on last years playoff birth & I think this is where Iggy's potential value to them is being overlooked/undervalued. Experience & leadership is something Gordon doesn't have or can provide. Doesn't hurt Iggy is still one of the best 3&D wing options, proven winner.

Raptors went from a losing team to making the playoffs by trading Rudy Gay for what was 3 bench players. Turns out Lowry replacing Gay as the teams primary scorer along with much needed depth was what was needed to find success. Masai was simply looking to break down his large contract into more movable pieces & ended up with a 7yrs of a 50 win team & eventual champion...
Suns netted themselves a failing grade for dumping their #4 pick, TJ for basically nothing & reaching at the draft, they're currently sitting 5th.

This is how I'm perceiving this trade for the Magic. It will be an initial loss of player value but in the end benefit them on the court.

Do you think Memphis would have to include something like the Utah pick?.


Gordon would be that third or fourth option on the Grizzlies. Perhaps similar to Clarke. Currently where AG has Clarke beat right now is the semblance of his improved three point shot via catch and shoot. Also the added leadership and communication AG provided when he's out on the floor at times.

Getting back Allen and Iggy for the Magic brings more defense on top of more defense. The Magic rank at # 11 for defense efficiency.

If the Magic need anything, like the Grizzlies, they need some offense. Both teams rank 27th and 28th respectively on offensive efficiency. And given their current situation, these two teams will not make for good trade partners like in recent past right now.


https://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced/?sort=OFF_RATING&dir=-1
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,118
And1: 2,341
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#33 » by Whole Truth » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:41 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
That is really bad for the Magic. Allen has minimal value until he proves otherwise (not no value, but minimal value) and Iggy has the value of an expiring/bench playoff guy rental on a contending team. Orlando isn't competing for a championship this year so this deal would basically be little more than salary dumping Gordon. The Magic could get a better return than this if they decided Gordon wasn't part of their long term plans.


Magic may not be championship material this year but I'm assuming they would like to have significant progress on last years playoff birth & I think this is where Iggy's potential value to them is being overlooked/undervalued. Experience & leadership is something Gordon doesn't have or can provide. Doesn't hurt Iggy is still one of the best 3&D wing options, proven winner.

Raptors went from a losing team to making the playoffs by trading Rudy Gay for what was 3 bench players. Turns out Lowry replacing Gay as the teams primary scorer along with much needed depth was what was needed to find success. Masai was simply looking to break down his large contract into more movable pieces & ended up with a 7yrs of a 50 win team & eventual champion...
Suns netted themselves a failing grade for dumping their #4 pick, TJ for basically nothing & reaching at the draft, they're currently sitting 5th.

This is how I'm perceiving this trade for the Magic. It will be an initial loss of player value but in the end benefit them on the court.

Do you think Memphis would have to include something like the Utah pick?.


Gordon would be that third or fourth option on the Grizzlies. Perhaps similar to Clarke. Currently where AG has Clarke beat right now is the semblance of his improved three point shot via catch and shoot. Also the added leadership and communication AG provided when he's out on the floor at times.

Getting back Allen and Iggy for the Magic brings more defense on top of more defense. The Magic rank at # 11 for defense efficiency.

If the Magic need anything, like the Grizzlies, they need some offense. Both teams rank 27th and 28th respectively on offensive efficiency. And given their current situation, these two teams will not make for good trade partners like in recent past right now.


https://stats.nba.com/teams/advanced/?sort=OFF_RATING&dir=-1


I'm thinking Memphis would flip Gordon to a team like Sacramento, for a bad contract, pick.

As for the Magic.

Rudy Gay was the Raptors primary scoring option when he was traded for 3 bench players. By simply removing him from the scoring hierarchy the Raptors offense & efficiency dramatically improved because Lowry took on a more prominent role in his absence where before, he was 3rd option behind both Gay & Derozan.. Magic, have 2 proven scorers on roster with Vuc & Fournier. So the issue might just be any or all of wasted possession, usage, spacing issues & fit.

@ 42% Gordon is currently shooting a career low from the field, including his rookie year. Inline with the emergence of Isaac.
@ 28% from 3 he's regressed from his career average, where both Iggy & Allen are better from 3 & can help with spacing issues, while clearing a log jam for a better fit.. The improved spacing alone could boost the offense. Not to mention the championship pedigree, influence Iggy would bring to the young Magic team.

I'm thinking by clearing the log jam with Isaac, netting 2 3&D wings & reallocating touches, it could do the trick over a target like DeRozan. As the concept of that idea, is Magic's defense can make the allowance. I think the people that think that, are forgetting how good the Spurs defense was before his arrival.. why they now prefer White & Murray with his availability.

It doesn't have to be guess work. Sit Gordon for a couple games & see how the offense flows without him.
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,118
And1: 2,341
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#34 » by Whole Truth » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:54 am

SD I see Vuc & Gordon sat for your match against the Pacers.

I didn't catch the whole game but saw enough first half to see your team put up 25 1st Q points only to have the bench score 5pts for the next 8 mins.

Magic didn't need a high usage scorer in this one, it needed better depth & spacing. Magic put up 106pts with no Vuc & or bench production.
User avatar
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 23,672
And1: 1,891
Joined: Mar 05, 2002
   

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#35 » by SD2042 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:26 pm

Whole Truth wrote:SD I see Vuc & Gordon sat for your match against the Pacers.

I didn't catch the whole game but saw enough first half to see your team put up 25 1st Q points only to have the bench score 5pts for the next 8 mins.

Magic didn't need a high usage scorer in this one, it needed better depth & spacing. Magic put up 106pts with no Vuc & or bench production.



The Magic lost the game due to getting out rebounded, Pacers getting to the FT line better (15-16) (Magic only 7-9)


The Magic have their fair share of issues"

spacing and depth to your point.
lack of better scorer(s)
free throw shooting issues (Currently rank 20th) https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/free-throws-made-per-game
No true number one player to take the lead. Both Vuc and Evan are more complimentary players just like Mike Conley and Marc Gasol were when they were with the Grizzlies.
Need to improve offense in the back court and on the bench
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,118
And1: 2,341
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#36 » by Whole Truth » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:48 am

Georgia was down 28 when Edwards took over the 2nd half, scoring 33. They got within 2 before losing by 8.

11-26 FG, 7-16 from 3.



I came away unimpressed by his performance.



.
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,118
And1: 2,341
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#37 » by Whole Truth » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:02 pm

Okoro's defense has impacted Auburn to a 7-0 start. He's putting up 13/4/2 on 60% from the field.

However through 7 he's shooting 21% from 3, 54% from the FT line.

I watch this both good & bad in thinking it would hurt his draft stock to where he might be more available to trade ...
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 3,426
And1: 1,664
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#38 » by VCfor3 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:46 pm

The more I watch these guys the more this seems to apply:

MemphisX wrote:After the last two drafts, especially at the top, this draft looks like butt cheeks. Gotta readjust my thinking about what a top pick is gonna look like.


There are still good players, but the last two drafts I've had guys I really really liked. This draft I haven't really found that though it is still super early. Okoro is probably the closest for me, but I don't think I'd use a top 6 pick on him. I'd want to snag him later than that in the draft.
User avatar
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 23,672
And1: 1,891
Joined: Mar 05, 2002
   

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#39 » by SD2042 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:30 am

VCfor3 wrote:The more I watch these guys the more this seems to apply:

MemphisX wrote:After the last two drafts, especially at the top, this draft looks like butt cheeks. Gotta readjust my thinking about what a top pick is gonna look like.


There are still good players, but the last two drafts I've had guys I really really liked. This draft I haven't really found that though it is still super early. Okoro is probably the closest for me, but I don't think I'd use a top 6 pick on him. I'd want to snag him later than that in the draft.


It's still early yet. I think around January when the season really hits it stride, we should have a good barring of who's who when it all boils down for the draft in 2020.
MemphisX
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,674
And1: 1,513
Joined: Nov 10, 2011

Re: Memphis potential top 6 pick, tracking players of interest 

Post#40 » by MemphisX » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:13 am

Whole Truth wrote:Okoro's defense has impacted Auburn to a 7-0 start. He's putting up 13/4/2 on 60% from the field.

However through 7 he's shooting 21% from 3, 54% from the FT line.

I watch this both good & bad in thinking it would hurt his draft stock to where he might be more available to trade ...



I love Okoro. My favorite guy in this draft esepcially for the Grizzlies. Grizz need a guy who is physically opposing and with Luka in our division, someone that has some hope of defending him lol. I think Okoro will eventually be able to shoot, the question is will he be able to do anything off the dribble. Would be hard to have both BC and Okoro not being able to create much off the dribble (although BC did it tonight vs. Utah :D ).

Long ways to go...

Return to Memphis Grizzlies