Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 1,744

Re: Grizzlies Trade Thread 

Post#281 » by VCfor3 » Fri Sep 4, 2020 12:49 am

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Oubre is a good player. I'd be surprised if PHX is trying purely to get rid of him, especially if they are trying to attach assets to make it happen. I guess the one kind of exception is if they have FVV coming but have to clear space and have no other option.

Suns went on their best run of the season with Oubre out. He's expiring & facing a considerable commitment. If Suns have no intent on giving him money moving forward or think they'll lose him to free agency & have a preference to resign Baynes who IMO was more integral to their success than him, then they have a need to shed his salary. That's not even including who they might want to target as a free agent as part of their rumored interest (FVV ?).

What did GS give up for that same 17m trade exception because they had a need to shed salary for Russel?. Iggy, who was more integral to their success over the years than Oubre is & will be to the Suns along with arguably the value of a much better pick in 2024. Though on the wrong side of his career, Iggy also still had player value in trade where several contenders if they had the financial means would have targeted him in a subsequent trade.

Value is not static, its related to want, need & perception. What you value highly, someone else might not. A struggling team financially, will give up player value, purely to save money. That was the idea behind OKC moving CP3 in this Covid economy where they in the past dumped Harden in order to resign Ibaka to avoid the expense of keeping both.

It's basically what the Suns did last year giving up Warren for basically nothing, Josh + to obtain Rubio in free agency.

I still don't see PHX dumping him without a good reason (aka needing the cap for someone who has already told their FO he'd come). Sure they could be willing to move him for assets if a decent deal comes along, but really they need something to come along that they feel is a better use of their cap space than Oubre for them to dump him and I don't know if that will happen. It isn't a great FA class and they can still try to retain Baynes while keeping Oubre.

So again, I only see him being dumped if they are forced to clear space for a FA they feel is worth the hassle. FVV would very likely be that if he picks PHX, but I don't know who else in this FA class would both pick PHX and be worth paying to dump Oubre for.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 1,744

Re: Grizzlies Trade Thread 

Post#282 » by VCfor3 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:58 am

MEM in: Embiid
PHI in: Dieng, Brooks, Clarke, UTA 1st, GSW 1st, future MEM 1st

PHI then uses that package to go after Harden.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies