ImageImage

Game 27: Memphis (9-17) vs. Miami (17-19) - 8PM ET

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

Who deserves 'Player of the Game' honors tonight?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:02 pm

J Morant -- 20 points, 10 assists on 64% shooting
No votes
Jonas V -- team high 21 points, team high 10 rebounds, team high 2 blocks
50%
Jaren Jr. -- 15 points, 5 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 assist on 45% 3-pt shooting
No votes
DeAnthony -- 16 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists
No votes
B Clarke -- 14 points, 9 rebounds
50%

Total votes: 2

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Game 27: Memphis (9-17) vs. Miami (17-19) - 8PM ET 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Miami Heat vs. Memphis Grizzlies Game Preview

What a week for the Memphis Grizzlies and their fans!

During a four-game week, where Memphis concluded a West Coast road trip and returned home for a back to back, the Grizzlies won three out of four games. Furthermore, fans were able to witness Ja Morant, Jaren Jackson Jr., and Brandon Clarke each take the lead role for the offense. It is exciting to begin seeing the potential of this team transform into production.

Though the Grizzlies enter tonight 9-17, they continue to evolve and improve into a team that can compete with most teams in the NBA. Their production numbers across the board continue to indicate a team that is adjusting and getting more competitive.

The Heat are 19-7 overall entering tonight’s contest. They are 12-0 when they score 115 or more points in a game. However, they are 0-5 when they allow 110 or more points in a regulation game. The fact that the Heat have only allowed 110 or more points in eight of their 26 games is a big reason for their early season success. They are a very good defensive team, especially on the perimeter.

While it is hard to find a team that has enjoyed more instant success from their 2019 rookie class than the Grizzlies, the Heat come close. Both Kendrick Nunn and Tyler Herro are enjoying excellent starts to their NBA careers. In fact, Nunn was the Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month in November, the same honor Morant won for the Grizzlies in the West. A fun trend to watch could be which rookie tandem between Nunn and Herro versus Morant and Clarke scores the most.

If the Grizzlies play as they did against the Suns and the Wizards last week, they have a realistic chance against the Heat. However, if both teams are playing at the top of their games, it will be hard for Memphis to keep up with the Heat’s shooting talent. Though the Grizzlies have been competitive against potential playoff teams this year more often than not, they will have to remain efficient and effective all game long to earn the win tonight.
Grizzly Bear Blues
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Game 27: Memphis (9-17) vs. Miami (17-19) - 8PM ET 

Post#2 » by Whole Truth » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:42 pm

I want this rematch. Last time Memphis were getting their feet wet & Jonas was coming off injury. Memphis need too & can punish Miami in the post. Have Jonas rolling to the rim, he should put this Heat squad in the penalty. They in turn, will try to stretch him.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Post#3 » by ducler » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:52 pm

Read on Twitter
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Whole Truth » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:58 am

Memphis did a good job establishing their post game first half. Unlike their first match, a healthy Jonas went 8-9 from the field for 17 first half points, 21 & 10 in 25 mins overall. It's a tall order to beat the Heat on the perimeter.

Not surprisingly, by establishing the post in the first half, Memphis put up 73 pts, a season high, against a good defensive team. That led to a 2nd half 2-3 zone where Memphis just swung the ball side to side for 1-14 shooting from 3, 3rd Q.

Once Miami got Memphis to play on the perimeter they started to force all kinds of bad TO's. Melton's consecutive TO's in the 4th with the game on the line must have given Jenkins heart burn, lol. Give both credit, Jenkins stuck with him & Melton came up with a couple big rebounds & the dish for 3J's 3 that swung the game back in Memphis favor.

Memphis would eventually lose the 15 pt lead they had first half. Jaren kept settling for 3pt shots instead of working himself into the post, with Jonas out. I thought they might have caved when Miami took the lead but the team showed some fight & scrapped out the win against a tough, gritty opponent.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:15 pm

Huge statement win for Memphis!!!

This young core has made a fan out of me. I love B Clarke. I covet JJJ. I respect Ja Morant.
Such an exciting young group.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:28 pm

Read on Twitter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#7 » by VCfor3 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:57 pm

It is nice to see some defensive flashes from Ja to go along with his stellar offense:
Read on Twitter
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:50 pm

VCfor3 wrote:It is nice to see some defensive flashes from Ja to go along with his stellar offense:
Read on Twitter

I remember watching that thinking to myself, "is that Ja playing defense". He has all the tools necessary. Watching those plays, I'd say for the most part, he's coasting on the defensive end & plays selective d. Thinking back to him blocking Irving.

Lack of D from Ja seems to be endurance, effort & commitment. With his slight frame being a factor.

Nice catch Vic, it's encouraging to think with a little strength training Grizz will have a C & PG who can potentially impact both ends.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#9 » by VCfor3 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:59 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:It is nice to see some defensive flashes from Ja to go along with his stellar offense:
Read on Twitter

I remember watching that thinking to myself, "is that Ja playing defense". He has all the tools necessary. Watching those plays, I'd say for the most part, he's coasting on the defensive end & plays selective d. Thinking back to him blocking Irving.

Lack of D from Ja seems to be endurance, effort & commitment. With his slight frame being a factor.

Nice catch Vic, it's encouraging to think with a little strength training Grizz will have a C & PG who can potentially impact both ends.

I'm just happy if he can be an average defender/not a liability. If he can be an above average defender (likely only if we get a stud SG to take some offensive pressure off him) then I'd be ecstatic!

Return to Memphis Grizzlies