ImageImage

Game 32: Memphis Grizzlies (11-20) @ Oklahoma City Thunder (15-14) - 8:00 PM ET

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Game 32: Memphis Grizzlies (11-20) @ Oklahoma City Thunder (15-14) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#1 » by ducler » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:45 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Re: Game 32: Memphis Grizzlies (11-20) @ Oklahoma City Thunder (15-14) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#2 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:39 pm

The Grizzlies (11-20) look to avenge arguably their worst loss of the season when they tip off another stretch of three games in four nights Thursday against the Thunder (15-14) at Chesapeake Energy Arena. The Grizzlies face the Thunder on the road for the second time in a span of nine days. Memphis led by 24 points in the third quarter on Nov. 18, but OKC used a 31-9 run that stretched into the fourth quarter and went on to a 126-122 victory. It was the second time in as many games that week when OKC came back from at least a 24-point deficit, having also rallied from 26 down to beat Chicago two nights earlier

Grizzlies rookie forward Brandon Clarke had the best game of his young career against the team that originally drafted him. Clarke scored a career-high 27 points and also added seven rebounds, all on the offensive glass, in the Nov. 18 loss to OKC.

The Grizzlies have split their past 10 games and are 6-7 in the month of December with three games remaining. A win in two of those three games (at OKC, at Denver, home vs Charlotte) would allow the Grizzlies to finish at least .500 in a full calendar month for the first time this season and first time since the team went 7-7 in March 2019.
NBA.com

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Game 32: Memphis Grizzlies (11-20) @ Oklahoma City Thunder (15-14) - 8:00 PM ET 

Post#3 » by VCfor3 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:36 am

Random thoughts from the first quarter:
-Brooks first two possessions ended in a turnover and a missed shot. He didn't look to pass at any point. Third possession he passed it and JV got fouled. Brooks needs to play within the flow of offense.
-JJJ didn't see Adams come over to help on his first shot and he had to try and alter his shot last second.
-Crowder had a bad turnover just losing the ball.
-Ja can get taken advantaged of on defense, but he has been ok more often than not. The Shai battle on both ends of the court is interesting.
-Ja isn't able to get much penetration due to OKC collapsing as soon as he starts to drive. Thus his looks have been kinda meh. I feel like this will happen pretty much every game moving forward.
-Nice to see JJJ battle har for a rebound at the 4:30 mark. Think he was still juiced after making a 3 the previous play, but good to see him rip the ball away from someone else to prevent the offensive rebound.
-Shai is good
-Melton staying active with his hands. Nice knock-away on Dennis.
-Aggressive engaged Jaren is the best Jaren. Two big blocks towards the end of the 1st quarter.
-Rotations have been ok so far.
-Nice to see us come back from an early deficit
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,209

Post#4 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:27 am

JJJ and shai have a very similar release.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#5 » by VCfor3 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:53 am

ThunderBolt wrote:JJJ and shai have a very similar release.

Huh hadn't noticed that. If it works, it works ha. Do you think OKC will try to adjust Shai's mechanics? I don't see Memphis doing much with JJJ since he is hitting at a decent clip and has a fast enough release to help counter the low release point.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,209

Post#6 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:08 am

VCfor3 wrote:

Huh hadn't noticed that. If it works, it works ha. Do you think OKC will try to adjust Shai's mechanics? I don't see Memphis doing much with JJJ since he is hitting at a decent clip and has a fast enough release to help counter the low release point.

I doubt it because he’s a decent shooter. We never changed Andre robersons mechanics so I can’t imagine worrying about shai’s. JJJ’s mechanics are probably less of an issue due to his size. Shai is very hesitant to shoot his three unless he’s wide open although he’s shown a nice step back at times.

Not surprised to see Memphis win this one. When teams have these quick turn around matchups against one another, it’s hard to eat the sweep. I didn’t watch ja in college but he is the real deal. I’ve been a fan of JJJ for a while. I cheer for small markets so I’m glad Memphis with such promising prospects.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#7 » by VCfor3 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:21 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

I doubt it because he’s a decent shooter. We never changed Andre robersons mechanics so I can’t imagine worrying about shai’s. JJJ’s mechanics are probably less of an issue due to his size. Shai is very hesitant to shoot his three unless he’s wide open although he’s shown a nice step back at times.

Not surprised to see Memphis win this one. When teams have these quick turn around matchups against one another, it’s hard to eat the sweep. I didn’t watch ja in college but he is the real deal. I’ve been a fan of JJJ for a while. I cheer for small markets so I’m glad Memphis with such promising prospects.

I look forward to the future OKC/MEM playoff battles again. Those were fun during our Core 4 stretch.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:19 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:22 pm

Read on Twitter
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#10 » by Whole Truth » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:37 pm

As in the first match, Grizz showed themselves to be the better team & much like the first match, carrying a late 20pt lead, the officials put away their whistles for OKC in the 4th allowing them to play with a different physical aggression, which is what helped them chip away at Memphis' considerable lead, as in the first match. OKC were only a couple possessions from making it a game. Jonas doesn't convert on Jacksons entry pass with a couple mins left, it's a 7pt game instead of 11 with all the momentum in the home teams favor.

Jonas was his efficient self but needs to be better on the boards against players like Adams. He's here for these type situations. 4 boards won't cut it.

Jackson paired with Clarke showed their defensive potential, they shut down OKC for considerable stretches. Jackson didn't have an efficient offensive night but he came up big at times. While Clarke continues to make 3's like that was never a question about his game. Memphis potentially have a 20/23yo PF/C rotation that can lockdown teams while not being offensive liabilities. With Clarke surprising consistency from range, both should be able to effectively space the floor/paint for Morant.

I was kind of disappointed they were paired with Melton who was a +25 instead of Ja but understand why. That unit put the clamps on.

Melton continues to show he can impact the game in many ways but he's also showing that he cannot protect the ball as a lead guard. The longer he dribbles, the more likely a TO.

All in all quite a few positive signs for Memphis in this one after a tough loss to the Spurs.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies