Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#141 » by Whole Truth » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:45 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:
I didn’t know about 9.2 pts. It would certainly change my mind. What is his NBA position?

I have him at SF/PF. (Waiting for the combine agility tests). He's 6'8 with a 7' wing span, has a strong motor & wide skillset.

Pat averaged - 9.2 pts / 4 rbs / 1 ast / 1 stl / 1 blk in 22 mins (18yo)

Jaylen Brown my comp for him, in his rookie season averaged - 7.8 pts / 4.2 rbs / 2 ast / .8 stl / .6 blk in 27 mins (19yo)

My 3 Memphis trade in targets Onyeka, WIlliams, Vassell.

Williams can’t defend quicker wings meaning half of them. That is why he cannot be compared to either Okongwu nor Vassel who can defend multiple positions.

I'm waiting for the combine agility tests. Pat covers & recovers so much ground, I have a hard time believing it's his ability.

I think his main defensive issues are positioning & his propensity to gamble/defensive reads. He's trying to guess apposed to react.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#142 » by Whole Truth » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:17 pm

Rick Bonnell of the Charlotte Observer revealed that Ball is struggling in interviews and workouts so far, according to his sources.

“Here is what I’m hearing from the league at large: LaMelo Ball is not performing very well at job interviews. I’ve heard that from multiple sources. He is not improving his perception via job interview. There are people drafting later in the top ten who were not preparing for the possibility of Ball still being around and, I’m not saying that he will be a top three pick, I am saying that I know for a fact that there are teams later in the top ten who are doing more research on him because they no longer think it’s a given he will.”
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#143 » by Whole Truth » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:13 am

Hamilton said in a recent interview with SB Nation’s Sactown Royalty concerning Patrick Williams.

“He’s been challenged every day in practice not to take any possessions off. He’s a great teammate, he has an unselfish spirit. That’s the way our system works in Florida State. And I think you’re gonna be extremely surprised how quickly he transitions into the NBA system.

“There’s no physical limitations. He’s quick and fast and athletic, strong, and he has the skills. Obviously, he’s probably the youngest player in the draft, so it’s gonna take some maturity for him to assimilate into the NBA system and style of play.”
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#144 » by VCfor3 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:04 am

Whole Truth wrote:Hamilton said in a recent interview with SB Nation’s Sactown Royalty concerning Patrick Williams.

“He’s been challenged every day in practice not to take any possessions off. He’s a great teammate, he has an unselfish spirit. That’s the way our system works in Florida State. And I think you’re gonna be extremely surprised how quickly he transitions into the NBA system.

“There’s no physical limitations. He’s quick and fast and athletic, strong, and he has the skills. Obviously, he’s probably the youngest player in the draft, so it’s gonna take some maturity for him to assimilate into the NBA system and style of play.”

I'm hesitant to believe anything put out about prospects right now, but I still am very much looking forward to his combine workout. Even though I seriously doubt we get him or any other top prospects I feel invested in Pat lol. He has started moving up some of the mock drafts/draft boards some but that's probably good because I thought he'd be a steal at the 15-18 spot a lot had him projected. I look forward to watching him this next season. My hot take, there will be a point in his career where teams would prefer him over Anthony Edwards given contract situation and ability to effect winning at higher levels more so than Edwards.

PS: Thanks for the backup on the T&T board, but I'm not going to bother responding to that guy. He sees Brooks as a rookie which is false and JV as an overpaid backup who was dumped even though he showed he was an above average starter this past year. He also is upset Wiggins isn't seen as a quality starting SF whose contract isn't that bad so #2 and the MIN pick should return a true star which I just can't see happening.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#145 » by Whole Truth » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:58 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Hamilton said in a recent interview with SB Nation’s Sactown Royalty concerning Patrick Williams.

I'm hesitant to believe anything put out about prospects right now, but I still am very much looking forward to his combine workout. Even though I seriously doubt we get him or any other top prospects I feel invested in Pat lol. He has started moving up some of the mock drafts/draft boards some but that's probably good because I thought he'd be a steal at the 15-18 spot a lot had him projected. I look forward to watching him this next season. My hot take, there will be a point in his career where teams would prefer him over Anthony Edwards given contract situation and ability to effect winning at higher levels more so than Edwards.

PS: Thanks for the backup on the T&T board, but I'm not going to bother responding to that guy. He sees Brooks as a rookie which is false and JV as an overpaid backup who was dumped even though he showed he was an above average starter this past year. He also is upset Wiggins isn't seen as a quality starting SF whose contract isn't that bad so #2 and the MIN pick should return a true star which I just can't see happening.

That's what so rich about his opinion. He thinks since joining GS in the hand full of games Wiggins has played, his history & negative contract was wiped clean, he now all of a sudden has value to everyone not just GS. Then he has the gall to state that Jonas, who was resigned because of his performance post trade & is coming off his best year to date helping to carry a young team to a near playoff birth, has no value because of why, he wrongly I might add, thinks Raptors traded him.

Its why he responded by criticizing my post without responding to it because he couldn't. Not to mention part of his response showed some poor reading comprehension. My post was about defending Jonas value, I even stated I was not forcing GS to like the trade but to stop degrading Jonas value on false perceptions. He responds by saying I 'm suggesting to systematically change GS. lol

With Masai having designs on Giannis, If Gasol had one more year on his deal Raptors wouldn't have made that trade. Masai tried to & couldn't resign Wright at a favorable cost & he didn't want to be in a position to have to extend Jonas long term. So what does he do, he trades both young players he doesn't want affecting his cap situation long term for a large contract, who in it's advanced age, he could justify letting walk prior to Giannis hitting the market.

Hypothetical, Raptors win the Championship with Jonas instead of Gasol, can Masai let him walk in that situation?.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#146 » by VCfor3 » Sun Nov 1, 2020 2:58 am

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

That's what so rich about his opinion. He thinks since joining GS in the hand full of games Wiggins has played, his history & negative contract was wiped clean, he now all of a sudden has value to everyone not just GS. Then he has the gall to state that Jonas, who was resigned because of his performance post trade & is coming off his best year to date helping to carry a young team to a near playoff birth, has no value because of why, he wrongly I might add, thinks Raptors traded him.

Its why he responded by criticizing my post without responding to it because he couldn't. Not to mention part of his response showed some poor reading comprehension. My post was about defending Jonas value, I even stated I was not forcing GS to like the trade but to stop degrading Jonas value on false perceptions. He responds by saying I 'm suggesting to systematically change GS. lol

With Masai having designs on Giannis, If Gasol had one more year on his deal Raptors wouldn't have made that trade. Masai tried to & couldn't resign Wright at a favorable cost & he didn't want to be in a position to have to extend Jonas long term. So what does he do, he trades both young players he doesn't want affecting his cap situation long term for a large contract, who in it's advanced age, he could justify letting walk prior to Giannis hitting the market.

Hypothetical, Raptors win the Championship with Jonas instead of Gasol, can Masai let him walk in that situation?.

I also like how his argument against Jonas was that Dray is already the crunchtime center, yet he wants to draft Wiseman who is a center. Even if Wiseman becomes a star it takes time. JV would probably help GSW more while their core is contending than Wiseman but I guess he was overlooking that lol.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#147 » by Whole Truth » Sun Nov 1, 2020 8:33 am

VCfor3 wrote: I also like how his argument against Jonas was that Dray is already the crunchtime center, yet he wants to draft Wiseman who is a center. Even if Wiseman becomes a star it takes time. JV would probably help GSW more while their core is contending than Wiseman but I guess he was overlooking that lol.

His reasoning is jokey but it's in line with what he's thinking.

What he's thinking

- Jonas is Raptors unwanted trash, #2 pick in this non consensus draft is gold.

- Wiggins is no longer Minnesota's trash now that he's in GS, #2 pick in this draft is a sure thing for a contending Squad because he's fallen in love with the idea of drafting Wiseman. Not even considering, Wiseman. if he's what he thinks he is, would go #1.

It's funny because it brings back memories of my fellow Raptor fans wanting to tank blow up what became a championship team for the said WIggins draft because he was Canadian & the projected #1, lol. Even Masai had Lowry on the table where if Dolan didn't nix the deal Raptors could still be toiling in mediocrity even if they were fortunate enough to land the #1 pick.

None of his thinking is true.

Jonas put up 15/11/2 on 60% eFG & had his best defensive season to date on a value 15m contract where big men putting up similar offensive #'s are all getting paid 20-30m. Jonas has his defensive warts but he's not trash & he's not expendable. He's being considered for trade for 2 possible reasons. The idea of moving 3J to centre to start Clarke & or his age timeline. If people value Vucevic put some respect & value on Jonas' game.

I mean Vic, I'd have considerable reservations about attempting to trade Clarke straight up for the top pick in this draft. All of Edwards, Wiseman & Ball scare me to a degree where you'll notice that in all my trades for the #2 pick to get into the draft because of their availability, it's with the idea to trade down for multiple assets & a player who I think would be an ideal fit on this roster in Onyeka or either Vassell, Williams even further down increasing the value of the additional asset.

With Cavs, Hawks & Detroit all willing to deal their pick, IMO Memphis don't need to trade in as high as #2. Minnesota GM even stated that the top 10 is a level playing field where the #1 is all about favorable choice, not consensus value. Which I think he's right. Teams are as likely to get as good a prospect or better at 8 as at 1 in this draft.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#148 » by Whole Truth » Tue Nov 3, 2020 2:09 pm

From the Minnesota board.

Posted by u/HawksLeaks

Hawks Leak Info - Thread One
Hi guys. I’m connected to someone very high up at the Hawks who would know. Sometimes I ask him/her questions and they respond. I have some info from the last few weeks up to today and figured I’d finally share. I’m a regular poster but anonymity is key.

1. There is A LOT of pressure to trade up for Edwards. Ressler, the whole business side, even members of the team (Trae) wants him. The basketball side likes him but worries about his attitude without a strong leader on the team. The price is high but Kevin may be a casualty to get Edwards especially if Ball goes #1.

2. Trae, Hunter and Cam are off limits right now. Everyone else is being talked about in various deals, various degrees of seriousness. Yes, Capela could be moved as well if a big deal comes.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#149 » by Whole Truth » Tue Nov 3, 2020 2:19 pm

1, Edwards - possible Atlanta trade down for 6 +
2, Wiseman - possible trade down for 3 +
3. Deni - possible trade up for Wiseman
4, Ball or Hayes
5. Toppin
6. Onyela - possible trade up for Edwards
7, Detroit - Vassell
8, Ball or Hayes
9 Williams or Haliburton
10. Williams or Haliburton
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#150 » by VCfor3 » Thu Nov 5, 2020 12:58 am

I'm interested to see if Atlanta moves up and if Charlotte tries to move up to the other top 2 pick.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#151 » by E S V L » Thu Nov 5, 2020 1:51 pm

Hey, guys. If you were provided with an opportunity to choose 1 player, current or a draft prospect 2020, to add to the Grizzlies young core in the form of the expansion draft, for free, what would be your Top-5?
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#152 » by VCfor3 » Thu Nov 5, 2020 2:42 pm

E S V L wrote:Hey, guys. If you were provided with an opportunity to choose 1 player, current or a draft prospect 2020, to add to the Grizzlies young core in the form of the expansion draft, for free, what would be your Top-5?

Are there certain players that are off limits? Such as Luka or Tatum for example
E S V L
Analyst

Post#153 » by E S V L » Thu Nov 5, 2020 2:51 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:Hey, guys. If you were provided with an opportunity to choose 1 player, current or a draft prospect 2020, to add to the Grizzlies young core in the form of the expansion draft, for free, what would be your Top-5?

Are there certain players that are off limits? Such as Luka or Tatum for example

No limits, though I don’t think Ja and Luka would survive in one team. But you may have a different opinion. Remember that you are looking for a player who would supplement the existing core Ja - BC - 3J.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#154 » by Whole Truth » Thu Nov 5, 2020 4:22 pm

1, Mitchell
2, Pascal
3, Brown
4, Simmons
5, Onyeka
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#155 » by VCfor3 » Thu Nov 5, 2020 6:41 pm

1. Tatum - He'd be great as our star SF
2. Luka - though him and Ja aren't the best on paper fit, I think they'd figure it out and create an insanely high powered offense. They are both extremely smart and talented. Need a high level defender in a 3&D role as the 5th starter.
3/tie. Mitchell - He'd slot in as our star SG next to Ja and be really good as a secondary creator to give Ja plays to catch his breath
3/tie. Booker - He is an awesome offensive player and has shown flashes on defense but has never really had a reason to try for more than a few plays at a time. I think he can at least be okayish on that end for us next to Ja since Booker wouldn't be a one man offense.
4. Zion - If he gets healthy you wouldn't be able to stop him and Ja on offense. JJJ would be the perfect big to pair with Zion.
5/tie. Brown - I think that Brown as a guy who can do a little of everything would fit great for us.
5/tie. OG - He is developing into one of the best defenders in the league and can hit the 3pt shot at a high clip. Ja can get him open and feed him, and then OG can lock things down on the other end. Brown has more shot creation but OG has better defense.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#156 » by Whole Truth » Thu Nov 5, 2020 10:19 pm

VCfor3 wrote:1. Tatum - He'd be great as our star SF
2. Luka - though him and Ja aren't the best on paper fit, I think they'd figure it out and create an insanely high powered offense. They are both extremely smart and talented. Need a high level defender in a 3&D role as the 5th starter.
3/tie. Mitchell - He'd slot in as our star SG next to Ja and be really good as a secondary creator to give Ja plays to catch his breath
3/tie. Booker - He is an awesome offensive player and has shown flashes on defense but has never really had a reason to try for more than a few plays at a time. I think he can at least be okayish on that end for us next to Ja since Booker wouldn't be a one man offense.
4. Zion - If he gets healthy you wouldn't be able to stop him and Ja on offense. JJJ would be the perfect big to pair with Zion.
5/tie. Brown - I think that Brown as a guy who can do a little of everything would fit great for us.
5/tie. OG - He is developing into one of the best defenders in the league and can hit the 3pt shot at a high clip. Ja can get him open and feed him, and then OG can lock things down on the other end. Brown has more shot creation but OG has better defense.

Concerning your ties.

I went with Mitchell over Booker because I believe Booker would be a poor defensive fit with Ja.
I went with Brown over OG because of his shot creation, though OG is slowly expanding his offensive game.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#157 » by VCfor3 » Fri Nov 6, 2020 1:01 am

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:1. Tatum - He'd be great as our star SF

Concerning your ties.

I went with Mitchell over Booker because I believe Booker would be a poor defensive fit with Ja.
I went with Brown over OG because of his shot creation, though OG is slowly expanding his offensive game.

Honestly I am fine with that. I originally was doing 3a/3b and 5a/5b but then just made it clean tiers.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#158 » by E S V L » Fri Nov 6, 2020 1:08 am

Vassel
Tatum/Brown
Booker
OG
Reddish/Huerter/Hunter
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#159 » by E S V L » Fri Nov 6, 2020 1:56 am

Re Clarke:

Zion?
Pascal?

Re Ja:

Simmons?
Luka?
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#160 » by VCfor3 » Fri Nov 6, 2020 2:09 am

E S V L wrote:Re Clarke:

Zion?
Pascal?

Re Ja:

Simmons?
Luka?

Clarke is very good, but if you can upgrade him then you do. Clarke either is a 6th man, potentially gets some run at SF, or can be moved for a player at another position if Zion or Pascal are gotten.

Simmons I don't mind as he can be a lock down defender plus provided additional playmaking which we need (though hopefully Winslow can provide that for us since Simmons isn't an option). Luka is an MVP candidate already. With Ja and Luka you always have one on the court and then when both are on the court it forces defenses to focus in on both of them thus opening up JJJ and others for great looks. Both also are high IQ guys who make others better. I think they'd be able to make it work.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies