ImageImage

Offseason Discussion

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

User avatar
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 23,843
And1: 1,970
Joined: Mar 05, 2002
   

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#181 » by SD2042 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:57 am

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
The tools are all there to mold an all around player & none do it better than the Spurs

Kawhi 6'7" 225 in his first college season averaged 20% from 3, 72% from the stripe. 29% in year 2, 75% from the stripe.

Williams 6'8" 225 in his rookie year averaged 32% from 3 & shot 83% from the stripe.

As the youngest player in the draft, he has the size, length, motor & wide ranging offensive skillset to mold into a good 2 way player. Problem is, not many teams are as good as Spurs at developing raw young talent.

Doesn't hurt he said to have a team first attitude & good work ethic.


A good work ethic and attitude goes a long way with the Spurs organization as they do right by their players. Another guy I think could fit them is Jalen Smith of Maryland. His athleticism and his ability to be a two-way player at the center position would be a great ideal pick for the Spurs. It's been a long while since they had a dynamic center in SA.


You don't think Peoltl can potentially be that for them?.


With Poeltl, defensively he's solid as they come. He puts me in the mindset of Rasho Nestorovic. More known for their defense output. Poeltl I think is deceptively quicker than Nestorovic and is the better blocker of the two. As for offensive output, these two aren't heavily reliable to be utilize on offense as much. In today's NBA with the Euroball in play, defensively Poeltl is utilize as well as possible from the rebounds and defensive presence. Offensively, it's another story where he needs to improve at. My thing is I wonder if he has the desire to be more productive offensively. Then his free agent status is in the air. Who's to say what he will demand on a new contract. I know it won't be a ridiculous high number. My thoughts is that he will likely be back. He will always be that reliable defender as I've watched a few Spurs games here and there. Offensively, I don't see a potential that he will improve on offense. If he does, then great. If not, then so be it.

As for Jalen Smith, my thoughts is that he fits the Spurs rebuilding. Reference to my explanation above on him. Given this is the Spurs we're talking about, I'm not in the business of holding my breathe of seeing this pick coming to the light of day.
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,358
And1: 2,407
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#182 » by Whole Truth » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:38 pm

From the trade board.

- After the top three, the next tier of prospects is made up of Deni Avdija, Obi Toppin, Isaac Okoro, Tyrese Haliburton, Patrick Williams, and Okongwu. Those players are likely to be selected in the 4-9 range. Williams has boosted his stock and is receiving consideration as high as No. 4. Pistons have legit interest in Williams at No. 7.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 3,983
And1: 2,015
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#183 » by VCfor3 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:41 pm

There are so many rumors out there. I'm ready for Monday when we start to see what is real and what isn't.
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,358
And1: 2,407
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#184 » by Whole Truth » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:30 pm

Memphis trade - (Dieng, Anderson, Utah 8-14 2021 FRP) for (Love, #5)

Love / Jonas
3J / Clarke
Winslow / (#5 Vassell, Williams ?)
Brooks / Allen, (Melton ?)
Ja / Tyus

3yrs/60m financial difference for the better player & pick in trade.

Cavs net a solid FRP, while saving 60m
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 3,983
And1: 2,015
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#185 » by VCfor3 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:05 pm

It's interesting. Most teams other than us have had at least one rumor/media story put out there though not always by a reputable source. I can't really think of us being in the news cycle recently. Way more than this for most teams but just putting at least something.

Atlanta Hawks - Interested in moving 6
Boston Celtics - Interested in packaging their three picks to move up
Brooklyn Nets - Interested in Jrue
Charlotte Hornets - Interested in Wiseman
Chicago Bulls - Interested in Deni/maybe moving up
Cleveland Cavaliers - Interested in moving Love
Dallas Mavericks - Want another star
Denver Nuggets - Interested in Jrue
Detroit Pistons - Pat at #7
Golden State Warriors - Want to move #2
Houston Rockets - Westbrook wants out
Indiana Pacers - Oladipo drama
Los Angeles Clippers - PG for RW+Covington+1st, want point guard help
Los Angeles Lakers - Interested in DeRozan
Memphis Grizzlies - ?
Miami Heat - Want to go after Giannis next offseason
Milwaukee Bucks - Interested in point guard help
Minnesota Timberwolves - Want to move #1
New Orleans Pelicans - Open to moving Jrue
New York Knicks - Tied to CP3, Oladipo
Oklahoma City Thunder - Looking to move CP3
Orlando Magic - Aaron Gordon trade speculation
Philadelphia 76ers - Interested in CP3
Phoenix Suns - Interested in FVV and CP3
Portland Trail Blazers - New ownership
Sacramento Kings - Buddy rumors
San Antonio Spurs - DeRozan interest
Toronto Raptors - Want to pursue Giannis in 2021
Utah Jazz - Gobert drama, Conley opting in
Washington Wizards - No Beal trades atm
User avatar
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 23,843
And1: 1,970
Joined: Mar 05, 2002
   

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#186 » by SD2042 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:30 am

VCfor3 wrote:It's interesting. Most teams other than us have had at least one rumor/media story put out there though not always by a reputable source. I can't really think of us being in the news cycle recently. Way more than this for most teams but just putting at least something.

Atlanta Hawks - Interested in moving 6
Boston Celtics - Interested in packaging their three picks to move up
Brooklyn Nets - Interested in Jrue
Charlotte Hornets - Interested in Wiseman
Chicago Bulls - Interested in Deni/maybe moving up
Cleveland Cavaliers - Interested in moving Love
Dallas Mavericks - Want another star
Denver Nuggets - Interested in Jrue
Detroit Pistons - Pat at #7
Golden State Warriors - Want to move #2
Houston Rockets - Westbrook wants out
Indiana Pacers - Oladipo drama
Los Angeles Clippers - PG for RW+Covington+1st, want point guard help
Los Angeles Lakers - Interested in DeRozan
Memphis Grizzlies - ?
Miami Heat - Want to go after Giannis next offseason
Milwaukee Bucks - Interested in point guard help
Minnesota Timberwolves - Want to move #1
New Orleans Pelicans - Open to moving Jrue
New York Knicks - Tied to CP3, Oladipo
Oklahoma City Thunder - Looking to move CP3
Orlando Magic - Aaron Gordon trade speculation
Philadelphia 76ers - Interested in CP3
Phoenix Suns - Interested in FVV and CP3
Portland Trail Blazers - New ownership
Sacramento Kings - Buddy rumors
San Antonio Spurs - DeRozan interest
Toronto Raptors - Want to pursue Giannis in 2021
Utah Jazz - Gobert drama, Conley opting in
Washington Wizards - No Beal trades atm


Sometimes, even the quietest of teams can still have an ace up their sleeves. If the Grizzlies do have one, I suspect it may have something to do with the SG position. Who could be a good target? Buddy Buckets, Norman Powell, Anfernee Simons, Jerome Robinson?

As for other teams,

I look for Boston to move all three of their picks for one of the top 5 at the top.

Atl to move on Jrue Holiday or Gary Harris

The Magic to make a move on Aaron Gordon. Teams to be involve: Wolves, Blazers, Suns

Lakers to use the 28th pick to move Kuzma and Green to acquire a complimentary player

CP3 to either Milwaukee or Philly

RW to either a non-playoff contender like the Cavs or Hornets. With his value being low, I'm having a hard time thing he will be traded to a playoff contender.

Is the James Harden era of him being a Tier 1 player is over given what has been coming out of Houston in recent days? If so, would someone of his calibur be willing to play second fiddle to a Tier 1 player should he be traded either this offseason or next offseason?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 3,983
And1: 2,015
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#187 » by VCfor3 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:25 pm

We finally have our first trade in what feels like forever!
Image

Read on Twitter

Schroder for Green+#28
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,358
And1: 2,407
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#188 » by Whole Truth » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:22 pm

Hawks insider -

Atlanta has agreed to a framework deal with MIN in a Jrue Holiday deal where they would get #13, #17, and a 2nd rounder for 6th overall pick. MIN has been targeting Atlanta to move up for awhile. Even offering Culver and #17 which thankfully fell on deaf ears but this one is huge. He was been hearing Atlanta was targeting two mid 1sts if they moved down and this would be it. This would save Atlanta some salary which is needed for the blockbuster deal and Hayward signing.

As mentioned, PHX is targeting Jrue Holiday if CP3 falls through which it will and NO wants a top 5 pick for him. He was told NO wants as little amount of salary for Holiday as possible and would prefer to move him for mainly just cap space. Cleveland has shown interest in moving back and adding Rubio/Oubre. There has been interest in even taking on Kevin Love contract from PHX as well.

I
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 3,983
And1: 2,015
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#189 » by VCfor3 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:19 pm

So much for the CP3 deal falling through ha.

So far I don't really see any opportunity for us to insert ourselves as a 3rd team in the already announced deals.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 3,983
And1: 2,015
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#190 » by VCfor3 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:29 am

Listening to a podcast, they made a good point. There being a play-in tournament for 7-10 may increase the odds of us getting the Utah 1st this year. I think Utah will end up a playoff team, but if they are 7th or 8th then there is a chance they could have two bad games and get knocked out thus giving us #14. If Paul can elevate PHX into a top 6 team in the West then that helps our cause.
KJStark23
Ballboy
Posts: 43
And1: 23
Joined: Feb 21, 2020

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#191 » by KJStark23 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:22 pm

E S V L
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,915
And1: 529
Joined: Dec 19, 2017
Location: Toronto
     

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#192 » by E S V L » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:16 am

My prediction is that we will move Grayson Allen
User avatar
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 23,843
And1: 1,970
Joined: Mar 05, 2002
   

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#193 » by SD2042 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:03 am

The one conversation that tis thread hasn't touch at all has been the #40. Who do some of you think the Grizzlies should take a shot at if the Grizzlies keep the pick?

My thoughts:

C.J. Ellerby- transition player , plays between SG/SF catch and shoot on perimeter as well as shot creator. slasher, decent defender, needs to add more muscle, dunker, rebounder, clutch shots

Lamar Stevens- mid-level Tobias Harris with defense. catch and shoot three point shooter, decent rebounder, slasher a solid role player

Cassius Stanley- athletic dunker, scorer's mentality, can be a fringer starter/ role player material, mediocre defender, decent rebounder
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 3,983
And1: 2,015
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#194 » by VCfor3 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:46 pm

SD2042 wrote:The one conversation that tis thread hasn't touch at all has been the #40. Who do some of you think the Grizzlies should take a shot at if the Grizzlies keep the pick?

My thoughts:

C.J. Ellerby- transition player , plays between SG/SF catch and shoot on perimeter as well as shot creator. slasher, decent defender, needs to add more muscle, dunker, rebounder, clutch shots

Lamar Stevens- mid-level Tobias Harris with defense. catch and shoot three point shooter, decent rebounder, slasher a solid role player

Cassius Stanley- athletic dunker, scorer's mentality, can be a fringer starter/ role player material, mediocre defender, decent rebounder

Honestly this draft is so volatile I don't even know where to begin haha. The nice thing is that there are so many guys worth a swing roughly in our range that I probably will be happy with whoever we take.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 3,983
And1: 2,015
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#195 » by VCfor3 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:48 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 23,843
And1: 1,970
Joined: Mar 05, 2002
   

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#196 » by SD2042 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:02 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Read on Twitter



I wonder if this is a smokescreen. If so, that's so wrong. If not, this could force a team like Charlotte to go into a mind scramble.

I was going to post a trade deal here concerning Charlotte to draft OO and trade him to the Celtics for the #14, #26, #30 and Grant Williams

14th- Jalen Smith

26th- Daniel Oturu

30th- Jahmius Ramsey

Celtics can't afford to keep all their rookies in this draft. Charlotte can afford to as they will have upcoming free agents. Plus with these new players they cover and can build on their foundation. Athleticism, scoring, toughness, defense, post offense and perimeter improvements.
E S V L
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,915
And1: 529
Joined: Dec 19, 2017
Location: Toronto
     

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#197 » by E S V L » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:30 pm

My short list:

Woodard
Bey
Hinton
Stewart
Jalen Harris
Scrubb
Perry
Pritchard
Riller
Mannion
Reed
Tillman
Vernon Carey Jr.
Naji
Maledon
Bane
Bolmaro
Elleby
E S V L
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,915
And1: 529
Joined: Dec 19, 2017
Location: Toronto
     

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#198 » by E S V L » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:33 pm

SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Read on Twitter



I wonder if this is a smokescreen. If so, that's so wrong. If not, this could force a team like Charlotte to go into a mind scramble.

I was going to post a trade deal here concerning Charlotte to draft OO and trade him to the Celtics for the #14, #26, #30 and Grant Williams

14th- Jalen Smith

26th- Daniel Oturu

30th- Jahmius Ramsey

Celtics can't afford to keep all their rookies in this draft. Charlotte can afford to as they will have upcoming free agents. Plus with these new players they cover and can build on their foundation. Athleticism, scoring, toughness, defense, post offense and perimeter improvements.


Charlotte should pass this offer very easily.
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,358
And1: 2,407
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#199 » by Whole Truth » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:01 pm

SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Read on Twitter



I wonder if this is a smokescreen. If so, that's so wrong. If not, this could force a team like Charlotte to go into a mind scramble.

I was going to post a trade deal here concerning Charlotte to draft OO and trade him to the Celtics for the #14, #26, #30 and Grant Williams

14th- Jalen Smith

26th- Daniel Oturu

30th- Jahmius Ramsey

Celtics can't afford to keep all their rookies in this draft. Charlotte can afford to as they will have upcoming free agents. Plus with these new players they cover and can build on their foundation. Athleticism, scoring, toughness, defense, post offense and perimeter improvements.


I believe it is.

Why is this information only now coming out where team have to scramble for information, yet not kept quiet long enough to help protect his stock?.
User avatar
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 23,843
And1: 1,970
Joined: Mar 05, 2002
   

Re: Offseason Discussion 

Post#200 » by SD2042 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:20 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
Read on Twitter



I wonder if this is a smokescreen. If so, that's so wrong. If not, this could force a team like Charlotte to go into a mind scramble.

I was going to post a trade deal here concerning Charlotte to draft OO and trade him to the Celtics for the #14, #26, #30 and Grant Williams

14th- Jalen Smith

26th- Daniel Oturu

30th- Jahmius Ramsey

Celtics can't afford to keep all their rookies in this draft. Charlotte can afford to as they will have upcoming free agents. Plus with these new players they cover and can build on their foundation. Athleticism, scoring, toughness, defense, post offense and perimeter improvements.


I believe it is.

Why is this information only now coming out where team have to scramble for information, yet not kept quiet long enough to help protect his stock?.



to just tank his stock. Good old sabotage 101

Return to Memphis Grizzlies