ImageImage

2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,807
And1: 2,646
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#81 » by Whole Truth » Sun Mar 7, 2021 12:08 pm

Jam, if Memphis land in the 10-15 range, who you got?.
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,655
And1: 570
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#82 » by jman3134 » Mon Mar 8, 2021 3:48 am

Whole Truth wrote:Jam, if Memphis land in the 10-15 range, who you got?.


Just seeing this. If we land in that range, I would probably go best available. Guys I think might be available are Corey Kispert, Ayo, Jared Butler, Isaiah Jackson, Franz Wagner.

I want to zero in on Kispert more, but I would ideally trade down from 10-15 unless someone big time slides like Bouknight. I would be willing to trade up for a Bouknight. If we traded down to 15-23, I would possibly take Jared Butler. I think Bouknight is a difference maker prospect at the next level - a no brainer star scorer. Jackson has tremendous upside as a shot blocker, but he is so raw and only an athlete at this point. Wagner is a good role player who plays within himself. We have a lot of that already, so that is why I probably would go for the high upside and trade up or back for someone like Butler, who is extremely proven and an elite winner.

Edit: Another option I definitely would consider would be Isaiah Todd. The upside case is huge and he can shoot it at 6'10. His strength needs to improve, but the flashes have been enough at the G League level to suggest a crazy high ceiling.
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,807
And1: 2,646
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#83 » by Whole Truth » Mon Mar 8, 2021 8:19 am

jman3134 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Jam, if Memphis land in the 10-15 range, who you got?.


Just seeing this. If we land in that range, I would probably go best available. Guys I think might be available are Corey Kispert, Ayo, Jared Butler, Isaiah Jackson, Franz Wagner.

I want to zero in on Kispert more, but I would ideally trade down from 10-15 unless someone big time slides like Bouknight. I would be willing to trade up for a Bouknight. If we traded down to 15-23, I would possibly take Jared Butler. I think Bouknight is a difference maker prospect at the next level - a no brainer star scorer. Jackson has tremendous upside as a shot blocker, but he is so raw and only an athlete at this point. Wagner is a good role player who plays within himself. We have a lot of that already, so that is why I probably would go for the high upside and trade up or back for someone like Butler, who is extremely proven and an elite winner.

Edit: Another option I definitely would consider would be Isaiah Todd. The upside case is huge and he can shoot it at 6'10. His strength needs to improve, but the flashes have been enough at the G League level to suggest a crazy high ceiling.


How far up do you think Memphis could potentially trade up ?

Some mock drafts have several players like Kuminga & Suggs pushing Green out the top 5. Where the 5-10 range should have some interesting targets like your mention of Bouknight & Kospert.

Some mocks also have Jalen Johnson falling out the "teens" into the early 20's where I personally think he's a top 10 talent in this draft. (A consistent jump shot away from being a complete talent). If his decision to drop out has hurt his draft stock, you wouldn't consider him in the 10-15 range ?. or is their more to him dropping that far in some mocks, like injury concerns ?.
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,655
And1: 570
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#84 » by jman3134 » Tue Mar 9, 2021 2:17 am

Whole Truth wrote:
jman3134 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Jam, if Memphis land in the 10-15 range, who you got?.


Just seeing this. If we land in that range, I would probably go best available. Guys I think might be available are Corey Kispert, Ayo, Jared Butler, Isaiah Jackson, Franz Wagner.

I want to zero in on Kispert more, but I would ideally trade down from 10-15 unless someone big time slides like Bouknight. I would be willing to trade up for a Bouknight. If we traded down to 15-23, I would possibly take Jared Butler. I think Bouknight is a difference maker prospect at the next level - a no brainer star scorer. Jackson has tremendous upside as a shot blocker, but he is so raw and only an athlete at this point. Wagner is a good role player who plays within himself. We have a lot of that already, so that is why I probably would go for the high upside and trade up or back for someone like Butler, who is extremely proven and an elite winner.

Edit: Another option I definitely would consider would be Isaiah Todd. The upside case is huge and he can shoot it at 6'10. His strength needs to improve, but the flashes have been enough at the G League level to suggest a crazy high ceiling.


How far up do you think Memphis could potentially trade up ?

Some mock drafts have several players like Kuminga & Suggs pushing Green out the top 5. Where the 5-10 range should have some interesting targets like your mention of Bouknight & Kospert.

Some mocks also have Jalen Johnson falling out the "teens" into the early 20's where I personally think he's a top 10 talent in this draft. (A consistent jump shot away from being a complete talent). If his decision to drop out has hurt his draft stock, you wouldn't consider him in the 10-15 range ?. or is their more to him dropping that far in some mocks, like injury concerns ?.


I would consider him. I need to do more legwork looking at his high school tape because it is hard to glean much positive from how he played (given his improper utilization by Coach K). As of now, I am buying into the red flags talk. While the "quit on his team" sentiment is a bit overstated, there is probably something to it given the fact that he attended 3 high schools in 4 years prior to Duke. People were saying he was hurt and this was why he shut things down, but he was playing for a while (and not performing well) after the supposed injury, and he decided against playing very close to the end of the season. In contrast, UK's Clarke got hurt and then shut things down almost immediately, so it certainly felt like Johnson wasn't enjoying playing for Duke and just gave up.

To put things into perspective, Jalen Green is my favorite player in the entire draft and I think he would be the perfect complement to Ja.

I think it all depends who is willing to deal, and it is hard to say because we don't know the draft order yet. Perhaps a team in a total rebuild would consider selling their 2021 pick for future picks and a late 1st?
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,807
And1: 2,646
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#85 » by Whole Truth » Tue Mar 9, 2021 4:14 pm

jman3134 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
jman3134 wrote:
Just seeing this. If we land in that range, I would probably go best available. Guys I think might be available are Corey Kispert, Ayo, Jared Butler, Isaiah Jackson, Franz Wagner.

I want to zero in on Kispert more, but I would ideally trade down from 10-15 unless someone big time slides like Bouknight. I would be willing to trade up for a Bouknight. If we traded down to 15-23, I would possibly take Jared Butler. I think Bouknight is a difference maker prospect at the next level - a no brainer star scorer. Jackson has tremendous upside as a shot blocker, but he is so raw and only an athlete at this point. Wagner is a good role player who plays within himself. We have a lot of that already, so that is why I probably would go for the high upside and trade up or back for someone like Butler, who is extremely proven and an elite winner.

Edit: Another option I definitely would consider would be Isaiah Todd. The upside case is huge and he can shoot it at 6'10. His strength needs to improve, but the flashes have been enough at the G League level to suggest a crazy high ceiling.


How far up do you think Memphis could potentially trade up ?

Some mock drafts have several players like Kuminga & Suggs pushing Green out the top 5. Where the 5-10 range should have some interesting targets like your mention of Bouknight & Kospert.

Some mocks also have Jalen Johnson falling out the "teens" into the early 20's where I personally think he's a top 10 talent in this draft. (A consistent jump shot away from being a complete talent). If his decision to drop out has hurt his draft stock, you wouldn't consider him in the 10-15 range ?. or is their more to him dropping that far in some mocks, like injury concerns ?.


I would consider him. I need to do more legwork looking at his high school tape because it is hard to glean much positive from how he played (given his improper utilization by Coach K). As of now, I am buying into the red flags talk. While the "quit on his team" sentiment is a bit overstated, there is probably something to it given the fact that he attended 3 high schools in 4 years prior to Duke. People were saying he was hurt and this was why he shut things down, but he was playing for a while (and not performing well) after the supposed injury, and he decided against playing very close to the end of the season. In contrast, UK's Clarke got hurt and then shut things down almost immediately, so it certainly felt like Johnson wasn't enjoying playing for Duke and just gave up.

To put things into perspective, Jalen Green is my favorite player in the entire draft and I think he would be the perfect complement to Ja.

I think it all depends who is willing to deal, and it is hard to say because we don't know the draft order yet. Perhaps a team in a total rebuild would consider selling their 2021 pick for future picks and a late 1st?


Damn, that's some interesting info on Johnson, too bad because I think the physical talent is there. Maybe with a 2nd round pick if he falls as a result ..

Agree with you about Green & his fit, he's my top pick for Memphis as well. Where it's quite possible draft order/team needs could see him fall out the top 3-5 picks making it more possible to potentially trade up for him than if he were to land top 3.

Who knows, maybe Memphis has some more lottery luck left in them.

If not, as ESVL has mentioned, maybe Memphis GM has the balls to entertain the possibility of trading 3J for a top 5 pick/young potential wing, considering how good Clarke & Anderson have been at PF, as well as being healthy in relation .. Personally, I'm not sure I'd trade 3J's potential just yet but I could see where it could make some sense, especially if they're uncertain of his ability to stay healthy .. Maybe the 2nd half of the season can put to rest any doubt either way.

The decisions facing Memphis won't be easy but the quality of young depth & owned picks have them sitting in a good position to significantly improve. I Don't know how but I've taken my own question off topic, lol.

Shame, I think Johnson would have been a great pick in the 10-14 range.. giving Memphis a potential 2way wing with some size/length, where I don't think they can rely on Winslow remaining healthy either..
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,655
And1: 570
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#86 » by jman3134 » Tue Mar 9, 2021 6:45 pm

If he slides, we probably have the late 1st to take him also if you like the upside case. I am totally open to trading JJJ for an early first if it creates elite pieces for the future. Watching Green in the playoffs, I can't see how he would fall outside of the top 2, but if he does, I am all about it.
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,807
And1: 2,646
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#87 » by Whole Truth » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:27 am

jman3134 wrote:If he slides, we probably have the late 1st to take him also if you like the upside case. I am totally open to trading JJJ for an early first if it creates elite pieces for the future. Watching Green in the playoffs, I can't see how he would fall outside of the top 2, but if he does, I am all about it.


Ideally the wing upgrade is to compliment 3J & Ja but I agree with you & ESVL, it is something that should at the very least be considered with how solid the front court is without him.

He's currently not playing but holds the most value of all the big men, solely based on potential. Questionable health.

How does Green potentially fall out the top 3.

- Cade consensus #1
- Team in need of a big man - Mobley
- Team in need of a pg - Suggs
- Kuminga's stock shooting up, where some mocks have him #1 over Cade
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,655
And1: 570
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#88 » by jman3134 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:55 am

I would prefer the fit of Bouknight if we can't get Green, but Kuminga would be nothing to sneeze at. Another intelligent, athletic wing with a more expansive floor game. Not the best fit given what parts we currently have, but he is another elite talent.
E S V L
Starter
Posts: 2,481
And1: 709
Joined: Dec 19, 2017
Location: Toronto
     

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#89 » by E S V L » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:06 pm

My short list of the 2021 draft prospects. If we get one in Tier 2, I`ll consider it as success. If we get another one in Tier 2-4, we`ll need to celebrate with fireworks.

Tier 1:

Cade Cunningham
Evan Mobley
Jalen Suggs
Jalen Green
Jonathan Kuminga

Tier 2:

Jalen Johnson
Scottie Barnes
Isaiah Jackson
Kai Jones
Alperen Şengün
James Bouknight
Josh Giddey
Roco Prkacin

Tier 3:

Corey Kispert
Keon Johnson (tier 2 arguably)
Jaden Springer (tier 2 arguably)
Filip Petrušev

Tier 4:
Franz Wagner (tier 3 arguablly)
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 4,489
And1: 2,350
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#90 » by VCfor3 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:50 am

jman3134 wrote:I would prefer the fit of Bouknight if we can't get Green, but Kuminga would be nothing to sneeze at. Another intelligent, athletic wing with a more expansive floor game. Not the best fit given what parts we currently have, but he is another elite talent.

I've seen quite a few Grizz fans/writers hoping for Moses Moody (along with Kispert and Bouknight). There are also a few draft guys I follow that rate Moody over Bouknight. In general it seems like a toss up between the two with no real consensus. What are your thoughts on him? I'd be happy with any of those three for kinda different reasons, but as far as Moody vs Bouknight I didn't know if Moody's defense would make him a better player to pair with Ja. Bouknight has the edge on offense, but if his defense isn't up to par he may be more of a bench gunner than partner for Ja. I know right now we need offense more than defense, but trying to potentially hide Ja and Bouknight on defense would be rough in the playoffs.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 4,489
And1: 2,350
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#91 » by VCfor3 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:17 pm

jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,655
And1: 570
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#92 » by jman3134 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:07 am

My other guy Gui Santos went from unknown to #33 on the 2022 NBA mock draft. And, by the way, he declared early this year. Thanks for using my draft position on the guy ESPN. I will take it as flattery.

This could be my best call of all time (the top International scouting services, ID Prospects etc that are way more detailed than ESPN did not have him ranked in the top 30 for his age for most of the season). I honestly think he has a shot to go top 10 if he plays well in the Olympic Qualifiers this summer. If the Grizzlies draft him, this would be the icing on the cake.

With regard to ESPN, I don't think it is a coincidence anymore that my content matches what they have been putting out. I posted about only two prospects during the tournament. Around 3 days after each post, DX posts about the same two prospects in the exact order I had them mentioned. I have met the DX guy several times and he used to follow me, but I am not a fan anymore. They did the same thing with Aldama after I posted about him on twitter.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 4,489
And1: 2,350
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#93 » by VCfor3 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:02 pm

jman3134 wrote:My other guy Gui Santos went from unknown to #33 on the 2022 NBA mock draft. And, by the way, he declared early this year. Thanks for using my draft position on the guy ESPN. I will take it as flattery.

This could be my best call of all time (the top International scouting services, ID Prospects etc that are way more detailed than ESPN did not have him ranked in the top 30 for his age for most of the season). I honestly think he has a shot to go top 10 if he plays well in the Olympic Qualifiers this summer. If the Grizzlies draft him, this would be the icing on the cake.

With regard to ESPN, I don't think it is a coincidence anymore that my content matches what they have been putting out. I posted about only two prospects during the tournament. Around 3 days after each post, DX posts about the same two prospects in the exact order I had them mentioned. I have met the DX guy several times and he used to follow me, but I am not a fan anymore. They did the same thing with Aldama after I posted about him on twitter.

Sorry man that sucks they are piggy-backing off your work without giving you credit
jman3134
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,655
And1: 570
Joined: Apr 17, 2005
Location: Follow me on Twitter: JTMBasketball
Contact:
 

Re: 2021 Draft Discussion and Pick Tracker 

Post#94 » by jman3134 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:51 pm

I actually believe he is probably a lotto talent, but I am waiting for him to play in the Olympic Qualifiers, so I am conservative up until then.

Is what it is unfortunately. While frustrating (I only post about it b/c they aren't putting in the work), really all that matters to me is that Gui gets the publicity he deserves before the draft. I hope we get him. I know he has an absolute killer mentality.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies