ImageImage

Memphis Grizzlies 2020-21 Preseason Games

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 4,143
And1: 2,114
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2020-21 Preseason Games 

Post#41 » by VCfor3 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:42 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Do you know if they are planning to retool or rebuild ?.

PS. all of Brown, Pascal & Simmons Memphis should try to snip in trade if Houston can be swayed by picks, Memphis look ready for playoff contention.

OKC has a pick swap option with Houston's pick and Miami's pick (they get the top two and HOU gets the worst) though there are top 4 protections. With Wall on the roster and not a moveable contract it may be hard to bottom out to the worst record so unless there is some lottery luck Houston wouldn't even keep their high pick from this year. That is why I think Simmons, Brown, or Pascal and retooling with youth is probably more appealing and why a package that lets them tank isn't as valuable.

I agree though that snagging any of those three would be great for us. All three have the potential to be the third star for our core.

Whole Truth wrote:Hollinger said a Minnesota package would be (DLo, Culver, Ed Davis and first round pick) for (Harden)

Am I alone in thinking that's a weak package ?. Am I under-rating DLo's value or is Hollinger over-rating him ?.


No that is a terrible package that Houston would hang the phone up on. Culver has not been good, DLo is overrated and most GMs know it, and MIN would need to trade pretty much all of their available picks given that they already owe GSW their pick this year.
E S V L
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,998
And1: 556
Joined: Dec 19, 2017
Location: Toronto
     

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2020-21 Preseason Games 

Post#42 » by E S V L » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:08 am

Whole Truth wrote:Hollinger said a Minnesota package would be (DLo, Culver, Ed Davis and first round pick) for (Harden)

Am I alone in thinking that's a weak package ?. Am I under-rating DLo's value or is Hollinger over-rating him ?.

If you look at DLo's value it's Wiggins negative contract & Minnesota's 2021 top 4 protected pick

DLo = Dieng, Winslow > Wiggins negative salary + Memphis 2021 pick top 4 protected.

Culver was a top 10 pick but put up a subpar rookie campaign.

Culver < Clarke's value, outside of preference & projections.

A trade for Simmons, not Harden - (Dieng, Winslow, Clarke, Memphis FRP 21 top 4 protected) for (SImmons).


This package can give MIN me rather than Harden.
E S V L
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,998
And1: 556
Joined: Dec 19, 2017
Location: Toronto
     

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2020-21 Preseason Games 

Post#43 » by E S V L » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:17 am

Whole Truth wrote:ESVL - a Philly fan posted this.

"Simmons/Embiid/any other 3 was a 99th percentile lineup prior to inexplicably wedging Al Horford in".

Memphis would have 3J/Simmons/ " " / " "/Ja. Where Philly could only wish to have Ja running point for Embiid & Simmons. So how does 3J stack up to Embiid in this scenario ?.

Embiid is a good defender but I think 3J & Simmons would be more dynamic defensively because to probably preserve Embiid's healthy, Philly chose to have him sag defensively, where 3J is capable perimeter to post.

Offensively 3J is one of the best shooting young big men in the league on volume & he doesn't occupy clog the paint like Embiid. Which allows Memphis to play Simmons in the post as a playmaker, minimalizing his weakness with positioning.

Memphis would have some combo of Winslow/Brooks/Melton/Allen to fill out the wing with varying skillsets & Jonas to handle the big centre's in the league, where if they play big & slow Memphis would have a big lineup with Simmons at the 3, that can still get out in transition..

Jonas/Anderson/Winslow/Allen/Tyus is a starting quality bench, depth.

My main reservation for wanting to deal for Simmons, would be his health status coming off a recent injury.

This means Memphis can trade Dieng's expiring, Clarke, Potentially Winslow/Allen, in a pick package without affecting the quality of this teams depth..


1. I have watched Simmons’s defence and was impressed.

2. I have watched Simmons shooting and found his shooting mechanic healthier now than Kyle’s one.

3. I am totally fine with Clarke, Dieng, Winslow, Allen, 1st for Simmons.

See what you have done.
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,493
And1: 2,454
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2020-21 Preseason Games 

Post#44 » by Whole Truth » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:28 am

E S V L wrote:
1. I have watched Simmons’s defence and was impressed.

2. I have watched Simmons shooting and found his shooting mechanic healthier now than Kyle’s one.

3. I am totally fine with Clarke, Dieng, Winslow, Allen, 1st for Simmons.

See what you have done.


I know what I'm doing & believe you maybe someone that can do something about it. I know GM's or their people read these boards. As an original Raptors fan, I posted the DeRozan for Kawhi trade long before it was a reality,. It's there in my post history. I took the angle that Pops didn't want to be a part of a rebuild being at the end of his career, while everyone was hyping the young players, picks LA & Boston could potentially send. Not to long after names like McCollum started to surface in rumors but Raptors had an advantage the other teams didn't in trading their star players that were under control for a risk on an injured player that was going to walk to LA. That was, Masai had reached critical mass & was going to blow up the team if they lost regardless, where Derozan would have been traded anyway, just for a different type package. Funny enough, 3J was my draft target of that alternative reality, taking back Parsons contract to net the 4th pick. Then Jonas got trade here.

So 3J, Jonas, Ja is why I'm here as a Raptors fan, this Memphis team would have been my vision/hope for the alternative reality of trading for Kawhi.

Masai even used my reasoning for trading fan favorite Derozan in his presser. Believe it or not, a lot of Raptors fans didn't want to trade DeRozan for Kawhi, mostly for sentimental reasons.

Checking Simmons salary, Dieng & Winslow are needed to meet the financial difference.

At 24, Simmons is only 1 yr older than Clarke & already a proven quality starter, where it's questionable that Clarke can handle starting or the 5 if 3J is a stretch 4 moving forward, outside of certain matchups. With Dieng expiring & Winslow yet to play a minute, Simmons is going to be a big upgrade to this current roster as long as it's not a massive pick overpayment.

Starting big rotation - Jonas/3J/Simmons/Melton/Ja - bench - Tillman/Anderson/Brooks/Allen/Tyus
Starting small & closing rotation - 3J/Simmons/Brooks/Melton/Ja - bench - Jonas/Anderson/Konchar/Allen/Tyus

The big rotation, while big & long, has 4 players that can get out in transition with Jonas to rip down boards & handle the physicality. I have Melton over Brooks in this rotation because with Jonas, 3J, Simmons & Ja all capable of generating their own offense, they don't need Dillon's usage, where Melton would be 3 & D & complimentary. Brooks takes the task of bolstering the bench's offense in this scenario.

The small ball, closing rotation, surrounds Ja with + defenders 2-5. where Simmons gives the rotation that lock down defender who has the versatility to guard 1-5 & with Melton's improved shooting, 4 players capable from range to compliment playing Simmons in the post as a secondary playmaker.
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,493
And1: 2,454
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2020-21 Preseason Games 

Post#45 » by Whole Truth » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:00 pm

Harden is starting to tank his value & force Houston's hand.

As reported by The Athletic's Shams Charania, Harden has started having confrontations with other Houston Rockets players as he looks for a move away from the franchise. Charania stated the following:

"The Athletic learned that Harden has had multiple verbal confrontations with teammates in practice on Sunday and Monday, and one confrontation included Harden throwing a basketball at a teammate on Monday. Sources say Harden and rookie Jae’Sean Tate had a heated exchange during Monday’s practice, culminating in Harden throwing the ball in Tate’s direction."
User avatar
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 23,935
And1: 2,020
Joined: Mar 05, 2002
   

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2020-21 Preseason Games 

Post#46 » by SD2042 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:49 am

Whole Truth wrote:Harden is starting to tank his value & force Houston's hand.

As reported by The Athletic's Shams Charania, Harden has started having confrontations with other Houston Rockets players as he looks for a move away from the franchise. Charania stated the following:

"The Athletic learned that Harden has had multiple verbal confrontations with teammates in practice on Sunday and Monday, and one confrontation included Harden throwing a basketball at a teammate on Monday. Sources say Harden and rookie Jae’Sean Tate had a heated exchange during Monday’s practice, culminating in Harden throwing the ball in Tate’s direction."



I read the report a few hours ago. This is the wrong direction that Harden is going towards to get out of Houston. If he continues to behave this way, to your point he will tank his value and will put himself at risk that no one will want to trade for him. The best he can do is keep it professional until a trade is struck.

Here's a question. If you or anyone else had to guess, where do you see Harden being traded to?
Whole Truth
Analyst
Posts: 3,493
And1: 2,454
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Memphis Grizzlies 2020-21 Preseason Games 

Post#47 » by Whole Truth » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:01 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Harden is starting to tank his value & force Houston's hand.

As reported by The Athletic's Shams Charania, Harden has started having confrontations with other Houston Rockets players as he looks for a move away from the franchise. Charania stated the following:

"The Athletic learned that Harden has had multiple verbal confrontations with teammates in practice on Sunday and Monday, and one confrontation included Harden throwing a basketball at a teammate on Monday. Sources say Harden and rookie Jae’Sean Tate had a heated exchange during Monday’s practice, culminating in Harden throwing the ball in Tate’s direction."



I read the report a few hours ago. This is the wrong direction that Harden is going towards to get out of Houston. If he continues to behave this way, to your point he will tank his value and will put himself at risk that no one will want to trade for him. The best he can do is keep it professional until a trade is struck.

Here's a question. If you or anyone else had to guess, where do you see Harden being traded to?


Philly & I believe he's tanking his value so they can reduce the cost of what Houston is currently rumored to be asking for - (Simmons, young player, 3 picks).

Return to Memphis Grizzlies