ImageImage

Game 26 : MEM vs PHX

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Game 26 : MEM vs PHX 

Post#21 » by Whole Truth » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:58 pm

It's a good morning. The sun is shinning, the birds are singing & last nights game is all but gone from memory.

With the Suns looking for a revenge game on the 4th game for Memphis in 5 nights. A decision was made to play a player who hasn't played in over a year along with 2, 2way contracts so several regulars could get "rest". Where Justice, not surprisingly, struggled, on both ends. The defensive chemistry was rarely on the same page which resulted in very poor closeouts. As a result.. Suns were a blistering +58pts on the 3pt line.

Offensively, besides Winslow's rust & poor shooting night. Grizz only made 5 3's themselves, which allowed Suns to triple team Morant & take Jonas out the game while punishing their defense with 3's of their own. Hence, the 2 year low 34pts at the half & the all out confidence boost for the Suns offensively. Easy defense leading to a potent offense, reason Memphis have struggled with NO's 28th ranked defense & 3 pt shooting. where many credit & think it's Zion. It's valuing possession & the 3pt line. You can play careless against some offenses & get away with it. You can't play sloppy offensively against a bad defending team with a potent offense, you'll get burned.

Long story short, under the circumstances, no one can really take a proper evaluation away from this game. Fatigue, rust & lack of chemistry played too big a factor in last nights loss.

The thing I take from this game is before Memphis surrendered the 4th. After a 34pt first half with Winslow struggling. Memphis pushed the 3rd Q comeback attempt, with Winslow shaking some rust from his game.

Off of this decision to rest the regulars for a scheduled loss on the 4th game in 5 nights. Memphis currently sit mid lotto, a loss from jumping into the 12 pick range.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#22 » by E S V L » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:46 pm

I almost forgot how brutally strong is Winslow. He certainly can stop Lebron 1 on 1.

I am curious what’s on FO’s mind as the deadline is approaching and our roster is deep to the extent of “too”.

PS I have finally realized why FO fell in love with Sean.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#23 » by Whole Truth » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:59 pm

E S V L wrote:I almost forgot how brutally strong is Winslow. He certainly can stop Lebron 1 on 1.

I am curious what’s on FO’s mind as the deadline is approaching and our roster is deep to the extent of “too”.

Winslow is basically a bigger/stronger playmaking version of Brooks. He just has a lot of rust to dust off. If healthy & in game shape, the big wings like Lebron, Ingram & Brown won't be going off on Memphis again.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#24 » by jman3134 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:08 am

Whole Truth wrote:It's a good morning. The sun is shinning, the birds are singing & last nights game is all but gone from memory.

With the Suns looking for a revenge game on the 4th game for Memphis in 5 nights. A decision was made to play a player who hasn't played in over a year along with 2, 2way contracts so several regulars could get "rest". Where Justice, not surprisingly, struggled, on both ends. The defensive chemistry was rarely on the same page which resulted in very poor closeouts. As a result.. Suns were a blistering +58pts on the 3pt line.

Offensively, besides Winslow's rust & poor shooting night. Grizz only made 5 3's themselves, which allowed Suns to triple team Morant & take Jonas out the game while punishing their defense with 3's of their own. Hence, the 2 year low 34pts at the half & the all out confidence boost for the Suns offensively. Easy defense leading to a potent offense, reason Memphis have struggled with NO's 28th ranked defense & 3 pt shooting. where many credit & think it's Zion. It's valuing possession & the 3pt line. You can play careless against some offenses & get away with it. You can't play sloppy offensively against a bad defending team with a potent offense, you'll get burned.

Long story short, under the circumstances, no one can really take a proper evaluation away from this game. Fatigue, rust & lack of chemistry played too big a factor in last nights loss.

The thing I take from this game is before Memphis surrendered the 4th. After a 34pt first half with Winslow struggling. Memphis pushed the 3rd Q comeback attempt, with Winslow shaking some rust from his game.

Off of this decision to rest the regulars for a scheduled loss on the 4th game in 5 nights. Memphis currently sit mid lotto, a loss from jumping into the 12 pick range.

My takeaways came from the 3rd and garbage time. Winslow came on then, like you said. Hopefully, this translates moving forward. Dieng hit some shots late and looked serviceable. McDermott looked really good and has some hops. Hope he continues to develop and maybe he can become a bench option longer term. Melton looked good throughout. He hit open shots and moved the ball. He has quick hands and good length defensively. I really like his game.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#25 » by E S V L » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:46 am

Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:I almost forgot how brutally strong is Winslow. He certainly can stop Lebron 1 on 1.

Winslow is basically a bigger/stronger playmaking version of Brooks. He just has a lot of rust to dust off. If healthy & in game shape, the big wings like Lebron, Ingram & Brown won't be going off on Memphis again.

I know Brooks is underappreciated but please - he is beyond any comparison with Winslow in terms of shooting.
FK NFL

Return to Memphis Grizzlies