Game 28 : MEM vs LAC 

Post#1 » by ducler » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:45 pm

Read on Twitter
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,679

Re: Game 28 : MEM vs LAC 

Post#2 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:49 am

Great game by Memphis. How much of this performance was not playing 4 in 5 nights with an injured roster, resting multiple starters, along with a less rusty Winslow.

It goes without saying, Clippers are a better defensive team than the Mavs. Yet Memphis put up only 92 pts on 94 FGA's against the Mavs, 122pts on 92 FGA's against the Clips, shooting an efficient 54% from the field, 57% from 3 on only 18 attempts.

Was the good offense fueled by their defense alone or did the efficient offense fuel a defense that held the Cloppers to under a 100 ?.

As I've mentioned before. Last night was a preview as to why I think Clips would struggle against LA's front court if they meet up in the playoffs. They are weak in the middle, a strength of the Grizz. Jonas post presence (16/15/2) helped set an offensive tone despite Ibaka cooking him from 3 (praise to Jenkins for not pulling him for defense).. Then, Tillman & Clarke were team highs + 19, +20 off the bench because there's nothing behind Ibaka.

This game has me excited for 3J's return to see how it all ties together.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#3 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:01 am

I want to reiterate, Ibaka was an efficient 13pts tonight, hitting 3 of 4, 3pt shots in their attempt to stretch Jonas & pressure Jenkins to pull him defensively.

Jenkins left Jonas in who had 16/15/2 in 25 mins & the Grizz held the Clippers to 94pts despite Jonas being individually cooked by Ibaka from 3.

Jonas 15 boards, 3 offensive, held a good rebounding team, Ibaka to 7 boards.

Jonas could have been more efficient offensively but Clippers strength is their perimeter defense. Jonas punches a hole in their D.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:08 am

Kyle, Dillon & Winslow's defense held Kawhi & Geroge to 9 of 26 shooting.

That tear away Winslow had on Kawhi in the 4th, was the cherry ...
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:12 am

What I love about this odd season is that Grizz after blowing out the Clips, will get a chance to play them back to back which will simulate a playoff like revenge game.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#6 » by E S V L » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:51 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Kyle, Dillon & Winslow's defense held Kawhi & Geroge to 9 of 26 shooting.

I have never seen nor even imagined that Kawhi might be simply outmuscled like a kid. OMG how strong is Winslow. I pray that we get a chance to see how he plays against Lebron in PO. I want to see "a King" falling and, as a result, crying and complaining.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#7 » by VCfor3 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:42 pm

When you lock down PG13 and Kawhi, it is fine to let Ibaka get a few shots off ha. Heck of a game. Love the defense. Maybe Winslow can be the wing stopper we have hoped him to be. I want him to continue to get only 8ish shots a game while being a secondary playmaker. Dillon also with a bit lower shot total since we had other actual nba players on the court with him was nice. I won't be surprised if we ultimately rest Winslow and maybe another player or two tonight. Splitting with the Clippers is a good outcome so no pressure for our guys even though they'll want the win tonight.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#8 » by E S V L » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:55 pm

I love this rotation:

start: Ja - Allen - Dillon - Kyle - JV
bench: Tyus - Bane/Melton - Winslow - Clarke - Tillman/Dieng
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#9 » by VCfor3 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:02 pm

E S V L wrote:I love this rotation:

I hate Melton getting the squeeze like he did last game but nothing we can do about that. It'll be interesting to see what our rotation looks like with JJJ back too. Depth has been huge for us trying to survive injuries and COVID this year, but at some point we will have to consolidate.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#10 » by E S V L » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:12 pm

VCfor3 wrote:

I hate Melton getting the squeeze like he did last game but nothing we can do about that. It'll be interesting to see what our rotation looks like with JJJ back too. Depth has been huge for us trying to survive injuries and COVID this year, but at some point we will have to consolidate.

At this point of time, I prefer Melton and Allen over Bane.

Trying to address the same depth concern, I have offered Bane and Tillman to Phoenix for Smith and 1st 2021 (LP).
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#11 » by VCfor3 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:22 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Trying to address the same depth concern, I have offered Bane and Tillman to Phoenix for Smith and 1st 2021 (LP).

I saw that. I think Bane could be the better player over Allen long term. Allen is by no means bad, but I think Bane will be the better shooter which is their biggest strength. I think they may ultimately be pretty similar on the defensive end. Melton is a different player from Allen and Bane due to his defense. If his shooting is real, I think keeping him to offer a different look would be smart. So for me I think Allen could be the odd man out unless Dillon is moved. Ideally you'd have someone better than Bane, Allen, or Melton starting but I think Bane in a Duncan Robinson sort of role could work.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#12 » by VCfor3 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:27 pm

Also Winslow is officially resting tonight. Melton should take his minutes so not a big deal. JV is questionable. If he can't go then I guess Dieng will get some run again. JV was big for us (not to minimize the effect of Winslow on their big two) so him not playing would hurt.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#13 » by E S V L » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:53 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I hate Melton getting the squeeze like he did last game but nothing we can do about that. It'll be interesting to see what our rotation looks like with JJJ back too. Depth has been huge for us trying to survive injuries and COVID this year, but at some point we will have to consolidate.

I saw that. I think Bane could be the better player over Allen long term. Allen is by no means bad, but I think Bane will be the better shooter which is their biggest strength. I think they may ultimately be pretty similar on the defensive end. Melton is a different player from Allen and Bane due to his defense. If his shooting is real, I think keeping him to offer a different look would be smart. So for me I think Allen could be the odd man out unless Dillon is moved. Ideally you'd have someone better than Bane, Allen, or Melton starting but I think Bane in a Duncan Robinson sort of role could work.

I think Allen is underestimated/oversight in the same way as Brooks. Ja feels very comfortable with Grayson in the floor. Allen plays very smart in his role.

Bane has shown some physical limitations. He isn`t quick on his legs and his hands are short. Being just a pure shooter isn`t enough.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#14 » by E S V L » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:54 pm

VCfor3 wrote:Also Winslow is officially resting tonight. Melton should take his minutes so not a big deal. JV is questionable. If he can't go then I guess Dieng will get some run again. JV was big for us (not to minimize the effect of Winslow on their big two) so him not playing would hurt.

Resting Winslow and JV is a smart move.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:19 pm

I was hoping to see how Jenkins & the full Grizz squad would respond to the Clippers adjusting to their loss, simulating a game 2 playoff.

I understand why both Jonas & Justice would be out though. It's a shame, I think we have their number because they are weak up the middle & Justice is our big wing stopper.

I can't wait for 3J to return .. No team is going to want to draw Memphis as a late seed.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:30 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:Kyle, Dillon & Winslow's defense held Kawhi & Geroge to 9 of 26 shooting.

I have never seen nor even imagined that Kawhi might be simply outmuscled like a kid. OMG how strong is Winslow. I pray that we get a chance to see how he plays against Lebron in PO. I want to see "a King" falling and, as a result, crying and complaining.

Take a look at the Raptors, Heat playoff series. Winslow was asked to play C against Bizz when Jonas & Whiteside went down to injury. He was the reason Miami without Whiteside was able to push Raptors to a game 7 & this is when he was young. Bizz is not a threat offensively but he's strong, mobile & athletic ... I watched him put the clamps on Lebron that same year where the refs had to foul him out of the game because he was making Lebron look bad, no joke. His blocks were being called offensive fouls & the play where they fouled him out. He made a 2pt shot, Love stuck his head in & got hit. They took away the bucket, they gave him a 2 shot tech & ejected him for a 7pt swing on a made bucket that should have been an & 1, lol. Once ejected, Lebron took over from there.

To answer your question, Winslow is strong versatile enough to play C, like Tucker.. However with his injury history I wouldn't explore that avenue, especially with the depth Memphis has.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#17 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:45 pm

IMO

Brooks competitive nature sets a tone & his offensive aggression is needed to take pressure off of Ja, as we saw with him out. The problem is when he's too aggressive & struggling it can turn to a negative with him shooting the team out of games.

Bane while limited, is the teams best 3pt shooter.

Allen appears to be a streaky shooter, where Memphis need him to be more consistent.

Melton IMO is more versatile than either Bane or Allen. He does the little things that helps the team win games which is why he's a +/- leader. He's also shown considerable growth this past off season in comparison. I never like to give up on young players showing considerable growth in their game, could come back to bite Memphis.

Assuming Memphis aren't able to draft a 2 way scoring 2 guard to efficiently do what Brooks does, If I had to consolidate one of Bane, Allen or Melton. It would have to be a decision between Bane & Allen for me. With me giving Bane the edge because he's the more consistent threat from 3 as a rookie. Allen might know where to be but it has to be taken into consideration, he's not a rookie.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Whole Truth » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:54 pm

IMO.

Starters - Ja - Bane/Dillon - Dillon/Winslow - 3J/Kyle - 3J/JV

Bench - Tyus - Allen/Melton - Winslow - Clarke/Kyle - Tillman/JV

Defensive small ball closing rotation - Ja - Dillon/Melton - Winslow - Kyle/Clarke - 3J
E S V L
Analyst

Post#19 » by E S V L » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:51 pm

Whole Truth wrote:IMO

Brooks competitive nature sets a tone & his offensive aggression is needed to take pressure off of Ja, as we saw with him out. The problem is when he's too aggressive & struggling it can turn to a negative with him shooting the team out of games.

Allen appears to be a streaky shooter, where Memphis need him to be more consistent.

Melton IMO is more versatile than either Bane or Allen. He does the little things that helps the team win games which is why he's a +/- leader. He's also shown considerable growth this past off season in comparison. I never like to give up on young players showing considerable growth in their game, could come back to bite Memphis.

Assuming Memphis aren't able to draft a 2 way scoring 2 guard to efficiently do what Brooks does, If I had to consolidate one of Bane, Allen or Melton. It would have to be a decision between Bane & Allen for me. With me giving Bane the edge because he's the more consistent threat from 3 as a rookie. Allen might know where to be but it has to be taken into consideration, he's not a rookie.

I concur with your assessment. There is only one issue that is forgotten - a market value perspective.
As I see it, Allen can return #40, while Bane - #25. This difference in value is higher than the difference in their contributions, which still favours Bane but not so much.

#25 on this 2021 draft may give us Scottie Lewis. Allen + Lewis OR Bane + #40? Well, that’s something to think about...
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Whole Truth » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:59 pm

E S V L wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:IMO

I concur with your assessment. There is only one issue that is forgotten - a market value perspective.
As I see it, Allen can return #40, while Bane - #25. This difference in value is higher than the difference in their contributions, which still favours Bane but not so much.

#25 on this 2021 draft may give us Scottie Lewis. Allen + Lewis OR Bane + #40? Well, that’s something to think about...

Market wise, if Bane is retained & continues to shoot the 3 ball the way he has & shows he's not a defensive liability, he might also be able to fetch a better return than the 25th pick which you have as his current value ... Allen has seasons under his belt. Not saying he can't get better but the likely hood is Bane will be able to increase his value with seasons under his belt more than Allen IMO.

There's also the financial aspect. Both Dillon & Melton recently got extended where Grayson is soon to be a restricted FA in 22, while Bane is on rookie scale & control. Where I don't know if Memphis may want to clear some cap or not trading away one of their extended players & maybe not resigning Allen if they draft a starting 2..

Return to Memphis Grizzlies