ImageImage

Game 51: MEM vs IND

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
Posts: 13,167
And1: 8,329
Joined: Jun 15, 2008
Location: France
Contact:
   

Game 51: MEM vs IND 

Post#1 » by ducler » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:38 pm

Read on Twitter
Image
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,884
And1: 2,690
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Game 51: MEM vs IND 

Post#2 » by Whole Truth » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:21 am

Another slow start, poor perimeter D.. 20-10. Pacers shooting 70% from the field.
E S V L
Veteran
Posts: 2,573
And1: 739
Joined: Dec 19, 2017
Location: Toronto
     

Re: Game 51: MEM vs IND 

Post#3 » by E S V L » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:10 am

I don’t like Ja this season. He looks like early Westbrook. I miss that humble kid with a chip on his shoulder for whom the whole game and world was about winning.

Oh... should I say something about the game?... well... McConnell (!!!) grabbed a key offensive rebound... no other comments are necessary...
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 4,512
And1: 2,367
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Game 51: MEM vs IND 

Post#4 » by VCfor3 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:06 pm

I didn't get to watch this game but am down to discuss Ja.

His aggression/chip on his shoulder/drive has not been as consistent this year. He tries on defense but it feels like it has still regressed though teams are also maybe targeting him on that end of the court. He also doesn't have JJJ backing him up and JV dropping every single time leaves Ja (and others) on an island which isn't ideal. I wouldn't be opposed to us resting him occasionally since he is so much better with that little extra energy. But maybe JJJ coming back soon will help though it will take some time for JJJ to knock off the rust.
E S V L
Veteran
Posts: 2,573
And1: 739
Joined: Dec 19, 2017
Location: Toronto
     

Re: Game 51: MEM vs IND 

Post#5 » by E S V L » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:11 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
1. He tries on defense but it feels like it has still regressed though teams are also maybe targeting him on that end of the court. He also doesn't have JJJ backing him up and JV dropping every single time leaves Ja (and others) on an island which isn't ideal.

2. I wouldn't be opposed to us resting him occasionally since he is so much better with that little extra energy.


This :nod:

PS I wonder whether we have signed Frazier to address item 2.
E S V L
Veteran
Posts: 2,573
And1: 739
Joined: Dec 19, 2017
Location: Toronto
     

Re: Game 51: MEM vs IND 

Post#6 » by E S V L » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:45 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Confirmation by stats
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,884
And1: 2,690
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Game 51: MEM vs IND 

Post#7 » by Whole Truth » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:14 pm

With Morant's regression from 3, he's taking more contact in the paint with his slim frame.

That physical contact fatigues. Especially, if you have to use your entire body like Morant to compensate for a lack of size/strength & because he rarely utilizes the 3 ball, he's driving the majority of the game with teams playing him to drive ... where it doesn't take as much energy to pull up for a 3 adding diversity & unpredictability to his game...

Memphis tough schedule doesn't help things either..

The fatigue factor is in line with ESVL splits. When Morant can rest offensively... Memphis are considerably better defensively.

Which circles back to Morant needing that 3 ball in his arsenal to make everything easier.
Whole Truth
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,884
And1: 2,690
Joined: Mar 19, 2018

Re: Game 51: MEM vs IND 

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:21 pm

E S V L wrote:I don’t like Ja this season. He looks like early Westbrook. I miss that humble kid with a chip on his shoulder for whom the whole game and world was about winning.

Oh... should I say something about the game?... well... McConnell (!!!) grabbed a key offensive rebound... no other comments are necessary...


It's crazy to think with Jonas pulling down 22 boards, 12 offensive, Memphis didn't outrebound the Pacers.
E S V L
Veteran
Posts: 2,573
And1: 739
Joined: Dec 19, 2017
Location: Toronto
     

Re: Game 51: MEM vs IND 

Post#9 » by E S V L » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:56 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
E S V L wrote:I don’t like Ja this season. He looks like early Westbrook. I miss that humble kid with a chip on his shoulder for whom the whole game and world was about winning.

Oh... should I say something about the game?... well... McConnell (!!!) grabbed a key offensive rebound... no other comments are necessary...


It's crazy to think with Jonas pulling down 22 boards, 12 offensive, Memphis didn't outrebound the Pacers.


You might be surprised, but not everything posted on this forum relates to Jonas.

Quite the opposite, I criticized the lack of team effort and help for Jonas on the boards as McConnel clearly wasn`t a Jonas` responsibility.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 4,512
And1: 2,367
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Game 51: MEM vs IND 

Post#10 » by VCfor3 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:28 pm

E S V L wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Confirmation by stats

Credit to a guy on twitter, but he pointed out that Ja feels like he has to take over scoring when we are losing big and so that may be a reason why his PPG goes up and assists go down in the losses.
E S V L
Veteran
Posts: 2,573
And1: 739
Joined: Dec 19, 2017
Location: Toronto
     

Re: Game 51: MEM vs IND 

Post#11 » by E S V L » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:21 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Confirmation by stats

Credit to a guy on twitter, but he pointed out that Ja feels like he has to take over scoring when we are losing big and so that may be a reason why his PPG goes up and assists go down in the losses.


It might be also inferred that Ja should balance his efforts between offence and defense, or, similarly, that his focus on defense can be more rewarding for the team, or, finally, that the winning leadership means engaging your teammates on offense, while engaging yourself on defense.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 4,512
And1: 2,367
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Game 51: MEM vs IND 

Post#12 » by VCfor3 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:37 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Confirmation by stats

Credit to a guy on twitter, but he pointed out that Ja feels like he has to take over scoring when we are losing big and so that may be a reason why his PPG goes up and assists go down in the losses.


It might be also inferred that Ja should balance his efforts between offence and defense, or, similarly, that his focus on defense can be more rewarding for the team, or, finally, that the winning leadership means engaging your teammates on offense, while engaging yourself on defense.

I think both go hand in hand. When Ja feels like he has to take over scoring it is usually due to others having off nights or not stepping up. Ja then has to try and use more energy on offense and thus has less for defense. Ja's go to strategy is to engage other teammates and only when it gets to the point of "we need a basket now" does he usually try to shoulder the burden alone. So he goes into games with balance and only when that balanced approach isn't working does he really try to change things up to a more unbalanced approach.

On a separate note, Ja seems to have had a lot more bad games this year relative to last year. Or my expectations changed and it is easier for him to have a "bad" game. I just figured it was the ankle injury healing up to 95% so he can play but not resting it enough to get it to a full 100% healthy that he needs on some shots.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies